Lumix S5ii + Leica L Mount Lenses

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone done extensive review of whether Leica's L Mount Lenses benefit from the Phase Detect implementation of the Lumix S5II / S5II X?

I'm curious especially for lenses like the Summilux SL 50 1.4, which was notoriously slow on older L-mount bodies.

Would have loved to hear anyone with experience !

I can only report that after I recently purchased the S5II, I added a few of the Leica SL lenses (Summicron 35mm & 50mm SL, Vario-Elmar-SL 24-70mm and the Vario-Elmar-SL 100-400mm), and they all work very well for me. I notice no delays or other issues that concern me. As for these lenses being re-badged and substantially improved versions of Lumix and Sigma products, they are very well made. It is too early for me to compare their images verses pure Lumix S lenses.

On 6/21/2023 at 7:04 AM, dsetiono01 said:

Has anyone done extensive review of whether Leica's L Mount Lenses benefit from the Phase Detect implementation of the Lumix S5II / S5II X?

I'm curious especially for lenses like the Summilux SL 50 1.4, which was notoriously slow on older L-mount bodies.

I think slow has more to do with the size/weight of the glass elements in this lens that need to be moved during focusing.

• 2 weeks later...
Am 21.6.2023 um 16:04 schrieb dsetiono01:

I just tried the SL2-S and the S5II side by side with the APO 50 Summicron-SL (I have two copies of that lens) indoors in less than perfect and mixed lighting conditions with the window blinds down in one area of the room with some artificial light and the other part of the room getting light from the door (overcast now).

The obnoxious motor sound of the SL lens is gone on the S5II and one can focus very fast and very precisely on different objects in the room at various distances almost instantaneously. The obnoxious motor sound is still there with that lens on the SL2-S and focusing takes longer in these lighting conditions. 

Ι also just tried the 50 Summilux-SL on the S5II. It takes longer for it to focus than the APO 50-SL when moving from object to object quickly in such lighting conditions but it doesn’t hunt anymore.

I’d say the focusing speed of SL prime lenses is a perfect match for PDAF, the zooms should do at least as well. Latest FW was installed on all. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

On 6/29/2023 at 12:28 PM, PeterBoyadjian said:

My partner has a S5II and all my SL lenses work perfectly on his camera. 

S5II is a incredible, iso performance is as good as the SL2S

Autofocus for video is truly something else, instant. 

I just hate the menu system. 

I'm curious - how is the S5II viewfinder - compared to SL2S? One of the reasons I had to let go of my Leica M's - I use a variety of fast (M and R) lenses. I just could not focus the M's. The very bright SL2S viewfinder is perfect for me. Is the S5II viewfinder as good - as in very bright and clear?

Edited by OR120
sp

As this thread seems to have a couple of members with both SL2-S and S5ii, or experience of both recently, how well do you find the colours match between cameras? Can you tell which image came from which camera on the basis of colour alone? Or on any other basis for that matter - at screen size, not prints?

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb LocalHero1953:

As this thread seems to have a couple of members with both SL2-S and S5ii, or experience of both recently, how well do you find the colours match between cameras? Can you tell which image came from which camera on the basis of colour alone? Or on any other basis for that matter - at screen size, not prints?

I don't open the SL2-S DNG files in LR anymore. The low ISO files I open in Preview first (the high ISO files in C1) and bring them into LR as TIFFs. The SL2-S ISO 100 colors are something else when Preview renders the DNG files. In these it looks like the S5II has better AWB but it's a lot easier to fix the WB in the SL2-S TIFF file and get correct and nice colors.

These are somewhat cropped BTW

S5II as shot

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

SL2-S as shot

S5II processed to correct WB 

SL2-S processed to correct WB and Exposure +0.3 to match S5II brightness

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Take at look at these two from the SL2-S in terms of color difference in the TIFF that was opened in Preview first and exported as a TIFF. I'll see if I have time to shot the S5II and the SL2-S side by side for color. 

DNG opened and processed in LR

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

DNG opened in Preview and brought into LR as TIFF

• Thanks 2

Thank you for all the shared experiences here.

I went ahead and acquire the SL Summilux 50 to pair with my S5iiX and I couldn't be happier, there was noticeable improvements in focus speed and reduced delay / noise due to motor movement, much better then how I remembered them with my SL2/ SL2S! If you use spot focus, switching between foreground/ background is much more snappier, feels like a completely different lens really!

Looking forward for the SL3 to adopt/ improve on the phase detect technology!

• Like 5

• 4 months later...