Advice requested: used Leica lens, 28mm or 35mm, for portraits set in low ambient light and very soft blur for Leica SL (TYP 601)

21 minutes ago, Shepherdphotographer said:

Thank you, mzbe, but Sigma seems to be a plastic lens........ However I could consider it, certainly....... I will search samples on tne net....... Thanks!

It's built like a tank and weighs more than 1kg ... Lens mount is brass ...

I just took a snapshot in my front yard, to illustrate what f/1.2 gets you on a 35mm:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by mzbe

1 hour ago, Shepherdphotographer said:

I couldn't buy Lux-R 35/1.4. From your helping I could consider Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2, or continue with my Nikon 35/1.4 AI...... Until this moment.....

unless there's something you dont like about the Nikon, why not just keep using it

if you really want something that looks like the Summilux-R 35/1.4 for portrait work, can you post some images/links of the specific look/colour/rendering you like and it might help trigger some a additional thought from the LUF

51 minutes ago, Shepherdphotographer said:

28/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH and 35/1.4 Summilux-M....... Ever Summilux, it isn't a coincidence......

i see, misunderstanding on my part, so you're looking a lens that renders like the current/recent M mount 28mm and 35mm lux (rather than the R mount 35mm). im sure others here on LUF will have more specific suggestions, but for portrait work, any fast modern ASPH lens will prob give you a very similar type of look

12 hours ago, Shepherdphotographer said:

...I'm looking for the Leica yield...

But you said you can't/don't want to afford that, right? Save up for the current 28 or 35 Lux if you want that look. How can you have a Leica brand alternative to something for which there is no alternative? Nothing renders exactly like these two lenses.

That said, in my option the CV 35 1.2 III surpasses the look of the Leica 35 Lux. And you can always shoot it at f/1.4 if you want more structured bokeh like the Leica 35 Lux has.

• Like 2

@ hdmesa:

You keep goong to the Nokton 35/1.2 III: I'll search one of it in a store of my zone and I hope I will can try it....... I don't know Voigtlander...... 

Your contribution is very precious!

Can you confirm that the lens which you are suggesting me os the follow, please?

https://www.voigtlaender.de/lenses/vm/35-mm-112-nokton-aspherical/?lang=en

Edited by Shepherdphotographer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Shepherdphotographer said:

@ hdmesa:

You keep goong to the Nokton 35/1.2 III: I'll search one of it in a store of my zone and I hope I will can try it....... I don't know Voigtlander...... 

Can you confirm that the lens which you are suggesting me os the follow, please?

yes that's the lens @Simone_DF, @hdmesa and i are referring to. it's the one where i included the earlier images

i think it's a great idea for you try it somewhere and see if you're happy with its rendering and handling 🙂

3 hours ago, Shepherdphotographer said:

@ hdmesa:

I see you are in Rome. M&S Materiale Fotografico is a nice little shop and the owners are very knowledgeable. I got some really good deals from them when I was living in Rome.

They have all Voigtlander 35mm in stock:

https://www.msmaterialefotografico.it/product-category/voigtlandervm/

I see they are moving to a new location, I would recommend to give them a call and arrange a viewing and try for yourself the following 3 lenses to see which one you like the most:

35mm f1.2 v3 --> the one we've been recommending for portraits

35mm f1.4 v2 --> draws like a pre-asph Lux, has glow at 1.4, comes in single or multi coating version

35mm f1.5 v2 --> more similar to the modern Lux Asph

• Like 2

@ Simone_DF:

Hi, I was once a customer of M&S, now I absolutely avoid it.............................. I'll send you a private message , in order not to advertise on the forum, the name of an excellent shop in Lazio, sooooo much better, that you may already know..... M&S?  Never again!!!!!!!!!

17 hours ago, Shepherdphotographer said:

Thank you, mzbe, but Sigma seems to be a plastic lens........ However I could consider it, certainly....... I will search samples on tne net....... Thanks!

In practice the Sigmas are pretty solid. The plastics used are high-grade and in some cases superior to metal