Advice requested: used Leica lens, 28mm or 35mm, for portraits set in low ambient light and very soft blur for Leica SL (TYP 601)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone, I have a recently purchased Leica SL (TYP 601), as well as a recent participant in this forum, even though I have read a lot here. As time passes, my satisfaction in using the SL and in frequenting this forum increases. Unfortunately my English is not good, so I rely on Google Translate ...... I am writing to ask for advice. First of all a premise: I use many Leica R lenses with adapter on the Leica SL, the focal lengths I use the most are 90mm (Summicron-R 90/2 and Elmarit-R 90/2.8), 50mm (Summicron-R 50/2 and Summilux -R 50/1.4) and the 180mm (Elmarit-R 180/2.8 v2), even if I have Leica R lenses of other focal lengths, which, however, I use less. I don't like the 35mm focal length very much and I use it in ambient portraits, with little light, when, for reasons of space, I really have little space available, I can't do it with the 50mm: I have both the Elmarit-R 35/2.8, both the Nikon 35/1.4 AI and the Nikon 28/2 AI: for photos where blurring is not important, I prefer the Elmarit, in the others, especially ambient portraits, or, in any case, where blurring is important, the Nikons 35/1.4 AI and 28/2 AI. I had to choose Nikon for such situations, because before buying the Leica SL I used these Leica R lenses with bayonet changed to Nikon on Nikon D810 and consequently the choice was very limited with the D810...... Now, with the SL , I can mount many lenses!! Nikons are great, but they don't give Leica Poetry! The natural choice would be the Summicron-R 35/2, or similar Leica M, but I would look for a lens with a performance more similar to the Summilux-R 35/1.4, which however costs too much, is out of budget. I've seen many photos with the Summilux-M 28/1.4 Asph, I really like it, but it's out of budget and anyway, as written before, 28mm and 35mm are not fundamental focal lengths for me.
Now the question: please recommend a 28mm or 35mm lens, similar to the Leica M 28/1.4 Asph, or one that in any case has a beautiful, very soft blur and the classic Leica colors and that can be found used at a not too much price high? Obviously on Leica SL. Thank you in advance!!!

1 hour ago, Simone_DF said:

For 35mm, you may probably want to have a look at the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 III, M mount:

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-voigtlander-nokton-35mm-f1-2-se/

Voigtländer makes good lenses. But not all of them are in a ballpark that one would typically associate with Leica. I owned the 35mm Nokton f 1,4 without aspherical elements https://www.voigtlaender.de/lenses/vm/35-mm-11-4-nokton-classic/?lang=en and it doesn't render images I like until F2.8 and even then it's far from what Leica Summiluxes and Summicrons do. However, the Color Skopar f 2,5 is a great little lens that is already pretty sharp at full aperture, not far from the 35mm Summicron M ASPH. But it substantially renders colour unevenly from the centre to the edges (get cooler) and vignettes about 2 stops on the SL2-S sensor (on film, it's about 1 stop). I find it a great companion if you want to pocket-size your M but only usable for B&W.

I haven't tested the 35mm Voigtländer 1,5 Nokton aspherical yet, but I'd think it's somewhat closer to the Leica 35mm Summilux than to the Nokton mentioned above f 1,4. 

If you have the budget, get the 35mm Summicron M ASPH or non-ASPH, as it is the real thing. Period. And it's already sharp enough for portraits at full aperture. 

Edited by hansvons

2 hours ago, Shepherdphotographer said:

please recommend a 28mm or 35mm lens, similar to the Leica M 28/1.4 Asph, or one that in any case has a beautiful, very soft blur and the classic Leica colors and that can be found used at a not too much price high?

TBH - there are many lenses that could do the job 🤓

i mainly use the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 v3 (M mount). it's sharp enough wide open for portraits. the rendering is really unique given it's 35mm focal length and f1.2 speed. if you shoot at less than 1m, the images do glow

i cant comment on how it renders colour as i only use it on my m246 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, hansvons said:

Voigtländer makes good lenses. But not all of them are in a ballpark that one would typically associate with Leica. I owned the 35mm Nokton f 1,4 without aspherical elements https://www.voigtlaender.de/lenses/vm/35-mm-11-4-nokton-classic/?lang=en and it doesn't render images I like until F2.8 and even then it's far from what Leica Summiluxes and Summicrons do. However, the Color Skopar f 2,5 is a great little lens that is already pretty sharp at full aperture, not far from the 35mm Summicron M ASPH. But it substantially renders colour unevenly from the centre to the edges (get cooler) and vignettes about 2 stops on the SL2-S sensor (on film, it's about 1 stop). 

I haven't tested the 35mm Voigtländer 1,5 Nokton aspherical yet, but I'd think it's somewhat closer to the Leica 35mm Summilux than to the above-mentioned Nokton f 1,4. 

If you have the budget, get the 35mm Summicron M ASPH as this is the real thing. And it's already sharp enough for portraits at full aperture. 

I own the 35mm Nokton 1.4 vII and I like it, but I'm recommending the 1.2 vIII instead of the 1.4 vII. The 1.2 version has a more modern rendering and I really like the portraits I've seen with it, which is the intended use by the OP. 

Yes, my understanding is that the new 1.5 vII is closer to the Summilux asph, although I never handled one

Hi guys! I really thank you all: I went to the links you kindly posted to me and I saw the photos of the Nokton 35/1.2: certainly a good lens, it seems to me (never had a Voigtlander), even if it also seems to me that it is not correct.. .... However, the yield is not like a Leica, nor like a Summicron, nor like a Summilux...... I'm looking for the Leica yield...... Comparing the Voigtlander 35/1.2 with the Nikon 35 /1.4 AI, I much prefer the Nikon......, but I'm looking for Leica, that's the question...... I could consider the Summicron-R 35/2, but it's not really what I'm looking for, i.e. something that gives a more dreamlike tone......, that of the Summilux and the Summicron-R 35/2 has another personality....... In theory, the Summicron-M 35/2 should also have the same personality : I don't know him, so I would ask you to confirm........ Is there any old Leica lens, around 28-35mm, with an affordable price, that could correspond to what I'm looking for? THE Voigtlander doesn't match the performance I'm looking for...... Excluding the Canon, I don't like it. Anyway, thank you all for the contribution.

• Like 1

Shepherdphotographer: for portrait work, why not consider a 50mm lens such as the Voigtlander 50/1.2 or the Zeiss 50/1.5 with M to L adapter?   You did mention that 28 and 35mm were not your preferred focal lengths and for portraits, longer lenses are commonly used.   Space constraints should not be very much greater with the 50mm focal length, and OOF effects should be as good or better. 

@ Ellisson: 

I specified that I need a focal length of 28 or 35mm, because often with the 50mm, when there is little space, the 50mm is not enough.  Also I already have the Summilux-R 50/1.4 and the Summicron-R 50/2 and I love them.  Zeiss?  I have owned and used them all, with Nikon D810, from the Distagon 21/2.8 ZF.2 to the APO-Sonnar 135/2: excellent tis, impeccable construction, very correct, incredible tactile sensation, but the Zeiss lacked one thing for me fundamental: POETRY!!!!!  ALL resold, when I discovered Leica, that is the Poetry I was looking for, after having wandered for years in vain, even if I got to know Nikon and Zeiss very deeply!!!!

Perhaps have a look at the Summilux-M 35/1.4, that's the non-aspherical 35mm Summilux before the first Summilux-M 35/1.4 ASPH. Not very sharp at large apertures, but dreamy look including a lot of "glow" when shot wide open. Don't know what the current used prices are and how difficult it is to find a decent copy of the lens. And I do not know how it performs with the SL sensor, there might be a lot of problems in the corners.

Edited by toyfel

It seems you are convinced only by Leica, and even though I would normally highly recommend Voigtlander or Zeiss ZM lenses, I think you will probably not find them to your liking (personally I do not find them very different from Leica lenses at all...). The ZM lenses are not all that similar to the ZF lenses, just so you are aware. They are rangefinder lenses and therefore more similar to the Leica M lenses.

Regardless, the 35mm f2 R lens is an obvious choice. It is highly regarded for its look by cinema users. Another option that would be less expensive than a 35mm 1.4 would be the Leica 40mm Summicron. It is a tiny, lovely lens with a lot of character. 40mm is an excellent focal length, especially if you are not totally convinced by 35mm lenses. 28mm is harder to find. I had a 28mm 1.9 Ultron (first version) back in the day. I thought it was an excellent lens. I replaced it for the 28mm Summicron, but I am not so convinced it was all that much better.

• Like 1

@ Stuart Richardson

"the 35mm f2 R lens is an obvious choice."

It isn't really an obvious choice, if I search the personality of Lux-R 35/1.4.......

"It seems you are convinced only by Leica"

Yes, I search Leica, but I'm open to others possibilities: I didn't know Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2, but it is true that its yield isn't similiar to a Leica: isn't true??

"The ZM lenses are not all that similar to the ZF lenses, just so you are aware. "

Truly? I never suspected it!!!

"40mm is an excellent focal length"

40mm is very versatile, certainly, but too long for my needs described here ......

What do you say about the Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 35mm f/2 Aspherical? Sharp and not dreamy? The colors look nice to me.......
Of the Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 35mm f/2 Aspherical? I have seen, in the photos on the net, beautiful colors, but I prefer those of the Nikon 28/2 AI, to make you understand.......
I'm not really convinced of Voigtlander Nokton, really

2 hours ago, Shepherdphotographer said:

@toyfel

6000€ in good conditions (if I have to spend 5000 euros for a decent + copy, I prefer a good copy of 6000!). It's excellent also at f/1.4, like Lux-R 50/1.4 and 80/1.4. No problems with SL's sensor!

6000 EUR? Oh dear. 

Best of luck with your quest for a 35mm lens. I have a feeling you'll figure out what lens suits you best. Happy shooting! 

12 hours ago, Shepherdphotographer said:

Now the question: please recommend a 28mm or 35mm lens, similar to the Leica M 28/1.4 Asph, or one that in any case has a beautiful, very soft blur and the classic Leica colors and that can be found used at a not too much price high? Obviously on Leica SL. Thank you in advance!!!

Sigma 35mm f/1.2 DG DN Art. I bought if for $780 open box on EBay (new lens). It is a native L-Mount lens, so you get the benefit of autofocus on excellent sharpness wide open, while achieving good subject isolation and nice background rendering thanks to the max. aperture of 1.2.
Very highly recommended (if the size works for you). Second choice, much smaller, but worse in every other way is Voigtlander Nocton 35mm 1.2 (watch out there are multiple generations on the market, make sure you get the one you prefer). The Nocton requires an M-to-L adapter.