GFX50R vs Leica SL typ 601

tgj

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting here, so please bear with me. I've been a long-time shooter with the Fujifilm X-Pro2, but I'm now looking to venture into something different, specifically beyond the APS-C format. I'm considering the GFX50R and the Leica SL, which are similarly priced on the used market. I really appreciate both of these cameras, especially for their color rendering. As a hobbyist, my main subjects are travel, cars, and once a while I will get paid gigs for portraits for graduation photos. Which of these two cameras would you recommend for someone with my interests?

Welcome!

I understand this choice dilemma very well because I had it too. And yes – in color rendering they're both excellent. 

Pro GFX50R:

• great MF-Sensor,
  • less expensive Fuji lenses,
  • endless options for film simulations

Pro SL601,

• better / fast AF,
  • usability of a good unser interface

I had the SL601 and now I have the Fuji GFX100II. The reason is that I definitely wanted a MF with 100 MP for large format prints. I wouldn't have changed if I hadn't this motivation.  For travel, street and portraiture even this most recent very modern and tempting GFX100II has an AF not as fast as the SL601. An MF -System as the only one IMO should be considered very carefully. To me it would never be an option if I had no FF-System in addition.

So it clearly depends on your priority when using a camera.

Another aspect is the results, in particular what is considered the "MF-Look". If you really – really (!) – like it, there is no alternative. 

Any choice is a progress compared to APS-C.

So anything you do is wrong, but do it. 😉

Thank you both for your replies! It seems like you both really prefer the look of the GFX50R, and indeed, the medium format look is amazing. I should probably test out both, but I'm not sure how to go about that.

I was quite set on the GFX50S2 and was planning to save up for it, aiming for a purchase by fall 2024. However, I realized that the Leica SL1 is about $1,800 and the GFX50R is around $2,500. I can comfortably afford the SL1 right now. I thought the Leica might retain its value better before I move to something more expensive. But, I can also afford the GFX50R. If I opt for the SL1, I can use my M lenses, which I've adapted for Fuji, and probably buy an R lens. However, if I choose the GFX, I might have to wait or just buy the pancake lens.

Not easy to decide......

I have no experience with the Fuji GFX, but with the larger sensor, one can expect very hight quality.

I personally swapped end of 2019 from a M10 to the Leica SL 601 and changed it to a SL2-S early 2022......but the SL2-S was a disappointment for me - shutter shock (due to IBIS) blurred images at 1/60 - 1/250, I also preferred the 4 switch layout of the 601 and I find the 601 more robust than the SL2.....

End of the story, after my SL2 showed an error (top display stayed on, with power switch off) I decided to part with the SL2 and bought a second hand SL 601 and I am a happy man again - SL 601 works perfectly with my M lenses and ISO performance is only one EV less than the SL2-S......

If 24MP is enough for you, go for the SL 601 - even in 2024 still a great camera

Josef