Which 24mm you recommend?

miklos.nyiri

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Please share your opinions with me. I use the Summilux SL, which is like no other lens. I am looking for a comparable 24mm. It could be the 24-90 normal zoom, the new Sigma zoom, the Panasonic 24mm, the Sigma f1.4 or f2 or the Leica Super-Elmar S, or an M lens. Which of these is like the 50mm Summilux in performance? Thank you.  

Agreed with @jaapv, it is a great lens!  However, I’d also say the M Summicron 28 is an incredible lens and compact.  I also like the R Elmarit 28 f/2.8 version II.   While not as sharp on the corners as the M Summicron, the color transmission is incredible.  You would need an adapter for either of these, but once you have an adapter a world opens up. 

That is the key to the SL system, IMHO.  I love to shoot film and I can either take an R system and the SL system or an M and SL. Either way, the adapters, while expensive, do a great job and they come up used at times.

• Like 1

If Leica ever fulfills its long awaited promise of 21 and 24 APO's, then the latter would be the golden ticket. But don't expect to see those anytime soon, if ever. It was two years ago the 28 APO SC was released, and nothing since. Their dismal efforts on the SL system are palpable. I did not choose the L system to use panasonic or Sigma lenses, I bought into it for the promise of a complete line-up of APO Summicrons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, miklos.nyiri said:

Please share your opinions with me. I use the Summilux SL, which is like no other lens. I am looking for a comparable 24mm. It could be the 24-90 normal zoom, the new Sigma zoom, the Panasonic 24mm, the Sigma f1.4 or f2 or the Leica Super-Elmar S, or an M lens. Which of these is like the 50mm Summilux in performance? Thank you.  

I suspect you appreciate the Summulix 50 SL look so the Summilux 24 M would be a good pair. IMO. I use the 24-M on both the M11 and the SL2.

As someone else mentioned if Leica ever comes with the Promised SL 24 APO that lens like the other SL APOs will come with the close to perfect look which is a look I appreciate for most of my work when I want to create a close to real life replica composition. I will for sure buy the SL 24 too.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

39 minutes ago, davidmknoble said:

Agreed with @jaapv, it is a great lens!  However, I’d also say the M Summicron 28 is an incredible lens and compact.  I also like the R Elmarit 28 f/2.8 version II.   While not as sharp on the corners as the M Summicron, the color transmission is incredible.  You would need an adapter for either of these, but once you have an adapter a world opens up. 

That is the key to the SL system, IMHO.  I love to shoot film and I can either take an R system and the SL system or an M and SL. Either way, the adapters, while expensive, do a great job and they come up used at times.

"...once you have an adapter a world opens up." The only thing better than swapping between M and SL lenses on the Leica SL2 system would be swapping the SL APO lenses on the M11 sensor. This is my hope for the eventual SL3 camera 😉

The Leica adapter is soooooo worth it. But I did receive mine for free when I purchased the Leica SL2 so there's that....ha ha 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, miklos.nyiri said:

The Elmar-M 24mm f/3.4 ASPH is also worth considering. Excellent performance and easily the most compact 24mm option among the lenses mentioned above.

You need a L—> M adapter and, obviously, manual focus only.

7 hours ago, AZN said:

The Elmar-M 24mm f/3.4 ASPH is also worth considering. Excellent performance and easily the most compact 24mm option among the lenses mentioned above.

I think that is a very good, compact lens.  I have the M Elmarit 24mm ASPH f/2.8, which is larger and while not as much contrast in the corners draws spectacularly.  I also happen to enjoy the Summilux 24mm, but the Elmar you mention is terribly compact, much like the M 21mm of the same type.  Good idea.

1 hour ago, davidmknoble said:

I think that is a very good, compact lens.  I have the M Elmarit 24mm ASPH f/2.8, which is larger and while not as much contrast in the corners draws spectacularly.  I also happen to enjoy the Summilux 24mm, but the Elmar you mention is terribly compact, much like the M 21mm of the same type.  Good idea.

8 hours ago, AZN said:

Compact and very sharp. I love this lens.

On the SL compactness is not really an issue. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If you need autofocus, take a look at the panasonic 24mm f1.8, yes it does feel a bit plasticy, but that helps to keep the weight down and image quality is great. If you prefer a better feeling lens look at the sigma, they have 3 version, (all must be DG DN), they have a 1.4, 2.0 and a 3.5. The f3.5 is an amazing little lens, but its f3.5, actually if you dont need the fast aperture i would go for that one instead. 

Here are some images taken with the panasonic 24mm and the leica sl2s. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Malabito
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1