Ideal fun small camera X2

Rajiv Shah

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve not posted anything here but I have enjoyed reading posts in these Leica forums. I started with a Leica Q—loved it and then the Q2M and I bought it as soon as could afford it. I bought a used SL earlier this year, after selling my X100V. The camera and I never ‘connected’. For me a camera is not about specs but whether you enjoy shooting with it and it feels good in your hands. Both the Q2M and SL have that in them. I wanted a small camera that I could keep on me most of the time—ideally pocketable. After much searching I decided on the X2—I did not need extra lenses—portability, ease of use and not too expensive. I found ‘like new’ X2 and a EVF2 on MPB—bought them this week and the camera came yesterday.

At first the camera was strange but a bit of playing with it, reading the manual made the camera easy and logical for me to use. I like most things about it bar the Auto ISO but there are a couple of work arounds either with aperture or shutter priority or in program mode with the setting ring. The EVF2 is great when you need to shoot from the hip or in bright sunlight—otherwise I can remove it and use the rear screen.

There are no perfect cameras—I’ve not come across one for me but there is good enough. If the camera works for you and it feels right in your hands then for me it’s enough. The photo below could have been taken with any camera but it was fun on the X2 with the EVF2 and discrete. Maybe we get too absorbed by specs and forget the basic idea of taking photos—why else would you want a camera?

I wanted to say thank you for all the posts I’ve read—it’s been interesting reading them.

All the best—rajiv 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You were lucky to find a good specimen. Leica has forsaken the compact sector. I still have my X1 and love its size and performance. Happy shooting!

The X2 is a great camera....I most likely will bring this. camera along on my Australia adventure to visit my grandkids.... one film camera (MA) and one digital (X2)...a perfect set up. I too have the EVF and I really enjoy shooting this camera. It is small, discreet.....a great lens.... it really looks cool as the lines are clean and no clutter on it. The camera is just one of those lost in the world of big guys that go for $5000 to $9000. ++++ a lens or two. No thanks. I have my three basic lens' for my MA and my X2 is just an attached lens. No worries there. 

I also like the EVF for it allows me to compose. I don't bother too much with exposure comp as it doesn't appear to do much on this camera. Just shoot manual and get the most play from your exposure using shutter and aperture. It works just fine. Enjoy....jim