Leica 35 APO M Focus

Rob L

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have about a dozen Leica M lenses. All contemporary models. I had my time with the vintage lenses and then sold them. My lenses are all great! Apertures and focusing nice and smooth and pretty consistent except the 50 Summarit 2.4 that is very lightly damped, but not bad enough to send it to DAG, but just bad enough to inquire with him if he could fix it (yes). I recently purchased a 35 APO M. The focus was very stiff at first, for several days of use. Then yesterday I was rotating the focus ring and the lens abruptly let go and became easy to focus. It was sudden and abrupt like something sticky letting go or breaking loose. It was smooth and easy the rest of the day. Today it did it again, but more gradually. I know these have FLE and close focus, so likely a complex mechanism. My 50 APO and 35 and 50 Summiluxes are perfect in spite of all the complaints I've read about. Any thoughts on this?

There is a soft-feeling detent when you hit the .7m mark.  You should feel a slight resistance to turning the focus ring further, then it should continue smoothly down to minimum distance.  And in going from minimum to infinity, you’ll feel that resistance again at .7m.  If that’s what happening, it’s perfectly normal.  

1 hour ago, Rob L said:

That is not the issue. All of that behaves normally. Lens was stiff through entire range, now it isn’t. Not a temperature issue either.

Hi Rob, 

When I first got the APO35 M it was indeed quite stiff and focus was not that obvious. It became easier to focus with time.

And indeed, in the first months or two, it could feel slightly stiffer on first use. I recall that I used to turn the focus ring once or twice as "warm up".

Now it is quite consistent and the focus ring is normal (neither stiff nor lose). 

Exactly the same situation with my copy of the APO35M. And due to an issue of my first copy I had had to have it replaced after day 2 (the shop luckily hat 2 samples of the lens in stock) the same behaviour could be experienced on both lenses. So this seems normal. However, the 2 lenses never let abruptly go, as Rob states in his post. It was more or less a gradual process that focusing became easier and smoother. The stiffer part of my two samples was on the infinite end by the way; the closer I got to MFD the smoother it was from day 1.

Edited by IMAGEPOWER

I received one of the first copies sent to one of the Leica Corporate Stores and I spent a few days with this lens and found it was so stiff that it was jerky to focus at all to and unusable in my experience. I returned it and luckily Leica USA corporate came through with a new copy within days and it was perfect out of the box. Oddly the store sold the first lens on to another buyer eagerly waiting for a copy which I didn't feel was very correct. "Possibly" it may have become smoother but I turned the focus ring many times over those days yet it did not improve. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update after 10 days or so. My unit seems fine. The first turn of the day is stiffer, then it immediately gets lighter within that first 90 degrees. Smooth and nice after that. Odd behavior, but I'm considering to be normal for this lens.

• Like 1

Just to say, I have the same experience. My assumption was that it's the grease, maybe being a bit stiffer as it settles or if it's cold, and getting a bit looser as it's worked and warmed up. But yes, when I haven't used it for a day, the first couple turns are a bit stiffer, but with a couple turns it then becomes smooth and buttery.

12 hours ago, Rob L said:

Update after 10 days or so. My unit seems fine. The first turn of the day is stiffer, then it immediately gets lighter within that first 90 degrees. Smooth and nice after that. Odd behavior, but I'm considering to be normal for this lens.

DAG replaced the grease in my stiff-focusing 35 Summilux ASPH 9 years ago, after Leica NJ said it couldn’t be fixed, and it’s still working smoothly.  Cost was $90.

Jeff

On 1/7/2023 at 7:07 AM, Rob L said:

On 1/7/2023 at 6:13 PM, wdahab said:

Just to say, I have the same experience. My assumption was that it's the grease, maybe being a bit stiffer as it settles or if it's cold, and getting a bit looser as it's worked and warmed up. But yes, when I haven't used it for a day, the first couple turns are a bit stiffer, but with a couple turns it then becomes smooth and buttery.

Normal behavior for my 35APO as well. I have also experienced a similar initial friction with my 50lux ASPH. I usually fondle, I mean rotate, the focus ring when I pick up each lens then never think about it again.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I enjoy this initial "warm up" interaction. Sort of like winding a manual watch before wear. Leica weirdo here.

Edited by calijax