The Vintage look

lmans

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like the vintage look in my photography and am always looking for what others might think in terms of selection. I shoot film so I have the original M6 but prefer shooting with the MA. These are my current lens's I shoot with: 

Summicron 50mm F2

Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton Classic

Elmarit 28mm F 2.8 (made in Canada)...non ASPH

I like the 28,35,50 range… by the way, here is a great site on Leica Lens from Ken Rockwell:  https://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/lens-reviews.htm#28

ideas? 

Edited by lmans

When I shot film, I used 28, 35 and 50 Summicrons, ultimately moving to the ASPH v.1 for the 28/35; plenty ‘vintage’ or ‘classic’ enough for me, as I did all my own darkroom and print work, which is where much of the ‘look’ derived.  I still use the 28 and 35 Summicrons on digital bodies, but replaced the 50 with a Summilux ASPH.  I, too, don’t need more than those three FLs for my M bodies, using RF only 

Jeff

6 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

When I shot film, I did all my own darkroom and print work, which is where much of the ‘look’ derived.  

Jeff

Agreed here Jeff..... one of many variables that come into play when shooting film.....

No ideas but I avoid Ken Rockwell like the plague. Pretty hard to trust the advice of anyone who suggests that jpeg is superior to RAW. I'm also pretty lucky in that I make my living working within the hifi industry and a lot of Leica "reviewers" also dabble in hifi. Safe to say his hifi knowledge (which he presents as fact) had me scoffing quite a bit the single time I read some, I see no evidence to suggest that his camera knowledge wouldn't be the same. 

• Like 2

I find Ken Rockwell useful for factual data.

My lenses: I sold almost all my M lenses in the period after selling my M240, the only M I had at the time - they were all modern lens variants. Since then I have used the SL, CL and Q2 systems and revelled in the sharpness, colour saturation and image control. Like many others though, I returned to film in lockdown and now have a M4 and a shoal of Barnacks, shooting B&W on the Barnacks and colour on the M4. The lenses I have acquired are almost the mirror image of what I had before in terms of rendering and performance:

• Elmar 5cm LTM x3 (of course)
  • Summitar 5cm LTM
  • Nikkor 3.5cm f/2.5 LTM
  • Nikkor 2.8cm f/3.5 LTM
  • Summilux-M 35mm pre-asph v2
  • Summilux-M 50mm pre-asph v2
  • Summilux-M 75mm (bought for use with the SL2-S, but will use it with the new MP which is on order)
  • Thambar-M 90mm (modern version, bought for use with the SL2-S, where it will stay)

I didn't assemble this collection with the intention of getting vintage looks (I got the Nikkors and Summitar because I wanted sharper performers for the Barnacks). Nevertheless, I am not aiming for the perfect image quality with my film work - if anything I am using the lower contrast, subdued colours and limited flare control to remove the feeling of immediacy in my images and increase the feeling of abstraction. I should add that I feel constrained more by my concepts, eye and skill than by my lenses. I am still working out what I want to use film photography for, so I follow discussions such as this thread with interest.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For a truly ‘vintage’ look that’s delivered mainly by the lens, I really wish Leica would rerelease the early 50mm f3.5 anastigmat in M or ltm mount, the same lens that’s fixed in the ‘O’ Serie replica cameras.  

This lens is fairly true to the original apart from multicoating, but in my opinion the rendering is so unique it deserves a much wider audience who would use it rather than leave it to languish on a shelf or in a cabinet. It is very different to the 1954 Red Scale 50mm elmar f3.5 ltm lens on my iiif, which is modern in look by comparison.

I’ve experimented with several film types in my ‘O’ Serie Prototype 2 replica and settled on Delta 100 in DDX as my film of choice which I feel brings out the best in the ‘O’ Serie 50mm f3.5 anastigmat.  This combination gives a finely-drawn ‘old postcard’ similarity in prints that I like very much.  The lens is incredibly sharp and contrasty for such an ancient design, it compresses the tonal range in a pleasing way.

Otherwise, a much easier to find and much cheaper alternative for a more generic vintage look in prints can be had with most of the pre-slr 120 folding cameras that utilise tessar type lenses, such as  the Agfa Isolette and Zeiss Ikon ranges.  I’ve used an Agfa Isolette iii with a 75mm Solinar for many years and my film of choice here is Ilford FP4+ usually processed in DDX.

’Vintage look’ really goes beyond simply buying lenses in the hope that something might happen when you press then shutter release.  That’s just the start, you have to draw the qualities you seek out of the negative by using the other variables in the chain to advantage, such as film and developer choices and post processing or darkroom printing regimes.  

• Like 4

This recent image of the remains of a Catalina that crashed on Barra in 1944 illustrates what I've said above about the 'look' of the 50mm f3.5 anastigmat, as well as the forum image mangler will allow:

'O' Serie Prototype 2 replica

Delta 100 in DDX 1:4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

.......I didn't assemble this collection with the intention of getting vintage looks 

I can relate to this, I didn't buy the 'O' Serie with any intention of trying to replicate a vintage look.  I liked the camera just for being operationally different to any other 35mm camera I've ever used and it's tiny, but the first roll of film revealed something about the lens I hadn't really considered and could not ignore.  it's a stunning lens!

Leica, are you listening?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Nikkor 3.5cm f/2.5 LTM

I didn't assemble this collection with the intention of getting vintage looks (I got the Nikkors and Summitar because I wanted sharper performers for the Barnacks). Nevertheless, I am not aiming for the perfect image quality with my film work - if anything I am using the lower contrast, subdued colours and limited flare control to remove the feeling of immediacy in my images and increase the feeling of abstraction.

This lens contnued in production until after 2000 I think - in the guise of the Nikonos standard lens. Not sure whether this changes its 'vintage' look status, but it certainly performed well enough to be kept on as a sellable lens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BradS said:

Rockwell is not to be taken seriously but he is occasionally entertaining….and sometimes hilarious. 

A quote from his own website…

I have the energy and sense of humor of a three-year old, so remember, this is a personal website, and never presented as fact. I enjoy making things up for fun, as does The Onion, and I publish them here.”

Jeff

• Thanks 1