Odd veil section on certain photos

HipsdontLeica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hey everyone! something strange started happening to my leica m10p-safari. on some photos, when i shoot towards a bright light source, if i angle the camera just right, an odd veil at the top of the frame appears. it almost looks like something is physically blocking the lens. at first, i thought this was a lens issue, but i can recreate this on a 50mm summilux, 90mm elmarit, and a 35mm voigtlander. in live view, i can confirm this by pointing the camera towards a light source and tilting the camera just at the right angle. 

anyone ever encounter this? 

thanks for the help. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ive seen it once in a while, even on a film camera, i usually just change the angle a bit

leica iiif fuji acros 100, nikkor 50 LTM

@jaapv thank you that's very practical and will go through and clean up everything.

@frame-it found a thread about how there's a good chance it's a baffle inside the camera that is cutting the light, something near the bottom of the frame is projecting it to the top of the photo. you were spot on in that there's something between the lens and the sensor. 

outside of shifting angles, or a more protective hood, looks like there's not much we can do here or need to do here. 

@dugbyyes! @adan explains this well with this diagram:

from what i’m reading, since our sensors are recessed and there’s a “lip” that it’s set into, sometimes, the flare is reflected off it and makes that perfectly straight line at the top of the image. 

• Like 1

Here's an extreme example of it on my M10-R. That said, I've never seen it on anything else except pointing it straight into the sun. 

quick update: seems like this happens more than just a fluke. put this on a facebook group and a few have been able to reproduce it. maybe it's the combination of lens and the "perfect" angle when shooting into a big light source. leica has already gotten back to me and we will see what they say. thanks everyone on here for helping. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2022 at 4:10 PM, charlesphoto99 said:

Here's an extreme example of it on my M10-R. That said, I've never seen it on anything else except pointing it straight into the sun. 

Hey wait a second - you captured one of those unidentified flying saucers, here clearly with the turbo boost on as the strike fighters approach …🤗

apart from my joke yes I had similar in my M2.