See snapshots in Adobe Bridge

tom24

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello

Is it possible to view snapshots made in Lightroom or Camera Raw in Adobe Bridge?
Snapshots made in Lr or ACR (in develop modul when editing photo) are saved to a file (MAC CMD + S) - save metadata to file. For example color and BW edited image.

Does anyone know a solution? Is it possible.

Thanks to all. 

2 hours ago, tom24 said:

Is it possible to view snapshots made in Lightroom or Camera Raw in Adobe Bridge?
Snapshots made in Lr or ACR (in develop modul when editing photo) are saved to a file (MAC CMD + S) - save metadata to file. 

You have a few things mixed up here.  In ACR when you press CMD + S, you get a screen that allows you to select all the details of a saved file.  You can select the folder, the file name and the file type (.dng, .jpg, .psd, .tif, etc).  When I do this, I get .dng as the default file format.  So let's talk about file types and what is stored.  .dng is not an image; it is pixel by pixel data that needs a raw converter to interpret, stored along with it is the metadata (information on settings when shutter was pressed) and processing information (exposure, etc).  .jpg and all the rest are image files; they are raster scan graphics of your image along with same metadata in most cases and in some cases the processing information depending on the file type.  Any post-processing software (doesn't have to be Adobe) that can work with these file types will open the file you just saved.  When you start with a .dng raw file, Adobe gives you the option to save the processing information either either the .dng file or in a .xmp sidecar.  All other raw file formats require a .xmp sidecar for the processing information.  If your .dng file changes its date, your processing information is stored in the .dng file; the original date is now only in the metadata.  If you see a .xmp sidecar, you can open that .xmp file in a text editor and see exactly what the processing steps are.  .xmp is in an English text format.

23 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Bridge can read it (HEIC on Mac too, I think)

Yes, this is true.

Thanks to both of you.

And how can I see this in Bridge?
Is there any setup required?

I have a photo in .dng format processed in LR or ACR. The file contains two snapshots - color and BW versions.
Bridge, however, only shows me the color version and the icon that the photo has been processed.
How could i see the BW version? Where in bridge?

Sorry, but I'm new to Bridge.

What file format did you save your images in (and don't answer .dng)? For example save both images as .TIFF or JPEG files in a folder that has a number, name, and date so you can find it again and Bridge should be able to see them. In Bridge if you then want to open them in Lightroom for further editing just double click on the image. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

DNG is not an image format but a container of a TIFF. Bridge can open a DNG but it must be saved somewhere where it can be found. Like PS or LR do as well. Basically it is all the same software with different UI. Bridge is analogous to the Library in LR. Why would you want to go through the complication of Bridge when you can open a single saved image directly in LR or PS ? 
Maybe you are missing that LR only applies your edits and converts the DNG when exporting or jumping to another editor. 

When you do CMD + S (Save) in ACR you should get the screen that is attached here.  The selections you make determine the folder, file name and file format.  You can save a .dng from a .jpg file.  But a .dng file is not an image file.  All the other formats are image files.  So if you are subsequently using an image program that doesn't support .dng, it won't open.  But you can find the file in Bridge by selecting the right folder, and it will open.  You can also change the color space, adjust the image size, and change the sharpening depending on format.  Adobe gives you the full list of options.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I know about .dng files.

On the external drive, I have an archive of photos from years ago in .dng files, which I processed in Lr (I also made snapshots).

It is clear to me that I simply import into Lr and see. But I would not like to re-import the old archive in Lr, but only a preview with Bridge on an external disk.

And Bridge displays the edited .dng photo (edited in Lr) nicely, but I don't see snapshots.

I would like to see (of course if possible) snapshots - in Bridge.

All you see each time you open a dng file is the last edit you made in ACR, if you change it to monochrome and then later back to colour you’ll just see the colour edit when you open it again. If you cancel the edits the file will go back to the original file. In order to make the image real and see your monochrome version and your colour version you need to save them as TIFF files, you then have two separate files, not a ghost file which is all a dng is, it’s nothing until you commit it to be a readable file outside of ACR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tom24 said:

Aaa, I see. OK.

Thank you all. 🙂 

Set your default in ACR to save the .dng files when you press ‘Done’ as an RGB 64 .TIFF (or the default .psd format) even if it’s a B&W image, it will pay off later in post processing.

Edited by 250swb