Has anyone tried a Flash with CL or TL2?..

Dopaco

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think the SF 20 is also an interesting choice with the CL. But maybe it won't work in TTL on the CL (have a try).
Hence the remark made on the use of flash in the CL manual on page 95.
However, it will be usable in auto and manual, which is still sufficient in most cases.

A little test here: https://erickoke.wordpress.com/2020/06/27/leica-sf20-flash-photography-review-by-erickphoto/

Guytou

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Guytou said:

I think the SF 20 is also an interesting choice with the CL. But maybe it won't work in TTL on the CL (have a try).
Hence the remark made on the use of flash in the CL manual on page 95.
However, it will be usable in auto and manual, which is still sufficient in most cases.

A little test here: https://erickoke.wordpress.com/2020/06/27/leica-sf20-flash-photography-review-by-erickphoto/

Guytou

In the TL2 manual it says the same thing, that's why I hadn't noticed and was looking for the SF24 d, I found one for €211 with shipping costs included but the page didn't seem reliable and I discarded it.

On ebay the prices of the SF24d were very high, in the end I found the SF20 on Ebay at a price that seemed more reasonable to me, with the advantage that if I don't like it I can return it.

Thanks for the help.

Hello Dopaco,

You're right, I also looked on Ebay and the prices are really crazy for an SF 24 !
Especially for a flash that is starting to date...
The SF 20 should suit you.
I had thought of buying myself an SF 40 and selling my SF 24. But since I don't use it much, it's quite complete and its size is small, I'll probably keep it.

Guytou

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Guytou said:

Hello Dopaco,

You're right, I also looked on Ebay and the prices are really crazy for an SF 24 !
Especially for a flash that is starting to date...
The SF 20 should suit you.
I had thought of buying myself an SF 40 and selling my SF 24. But since I don't use it much, it's quite complete and its size is small, I'll probably keep it.

Guytou

I have seen second hand SF24d's on Ebay at higher prices than new SF40's, but of course they are still there unsold.

The SF24d on Ebay are few for sale and the manual is not easy to get, (surely Leica put few units for sale or it is so good that nobody wants to sell it). Of the SF20 without being cheap on Ebay there are more units for sale and the manual is easy to get and in several languages.

Physically the two units look the same, in the internal software there must be some changes, from what I have read, they are not very important.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On Friday I received the Flash SF20 that I had ordered.

I have tried all 3 modes:
1.- TTL mode, I think it doesn't work on my TL2 camera, or at least I haven't been able to configure it. (An intermittent A comes out and nothing else).

2:- Mode A, (Automatic), in this mode it works fine and it does what I want and it was easy to configure it.

3.- Mode M. (Manual), It also works, it is somewhat more difficult and slow to configure, so most of the time I will use mode A.

I'm pretty sure I'll stick with it, it's lightweight and looks good on these small cameras. (TL2.)

When I can I will do tests with flahs and without flahs and I will show.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Para  un flash manual,  LightPix Q20II  es una solución pequeña, económica e ingeniosa. GN es solo 20 (en ISO 100). Parece funcionar bien con CL, TL2.

amazon.com...:      https://www.amazon.com/s?me=A3F19T9NV0K37Y&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Edited by Dopaco

I really like it, it's new, it's light, it has features that others don't, and an affordable price.
It is made to work manually, so it has features that make it easy to use.
It has limitations but is in the line of smaller flashes with fewer features and higher prices.

Technical Specification

• Guide Number 20 (at ISO 100)
  • Focal length coverage: 32mm (on 35mm format)
  • Manual flash power ratio control (7 steps adjustable, 1 /64 to 1 /1)
  • LED video light (7 steps adjustable, Max. 60 lux output at 1 m)
  • 2.4GHz low-power digital radio, 10 meters wireless operating range
  • Tiltable flash head, up to 90° and with click-stops at 0°, 45°, 60°, 75°, 90°
  • Other functions: S1 / S2 optical slave, modeling light (LED)
  • Transmitter per charge: 80 hours operation and 120 days standby
  • Two AA-size alkaline / rechargeable Ni-MH batteries for Q20 main body
  • Recycling time (1 /1 full power output): 6 sec. by Ni-MH batteries / 7 sec. by fresh alkaline batteries
  • Number of flashes: 100 – 2000 flashes
  • LED lighting time: approx. 1 hour (at full power LED output and by Ni-MH batteries)
  • Flash color temperature: 5600K±200K (same as daylight)
  • LED color temperature: 5500K±300K, CRI 95
  • Dedicated socket for FlashQ Transmitter attachment
  • Dimensions: 59(W) x 99(H) x 29(D) mm (including FlashQ Transmitter)
  • Weight : 115g (without battery)

• 3 weeks later...

I went for the inexpensive option - I bought a new SF-40, which gives me a few features that the smaller units lack, and cost less than is being asked for a used SF-24D.

I’m not a huge user of flash, but there are times when it helps.

• 2 weeks later...

With the Flash SF 20 in Auto (A) mode and the FlashQ Q20II that I bought new at an affordable price, I have enough.

Both are easy to set up, just read the manual carefully, once you get it the camera will always recognize it.

On the fly a small example SF 20:

On the fly a small example SF 20:

FlashQ Q20II:

This Flash is somewhat smaller than the SF20 and SF24 and is fully manual and very versatile.
See videos and information here:

https://www.lightpixlabs.com/pages/q20ii

Edited by Dopaco

On 10/11/2022 at 6:55 PM, Dopaco said:

If yes, what FLASH did you use?
In the TL2 manual they recommend the Leica SF 40, SF 64, SF58 system flashes.

Other Leica system flash devices, except Leica SF 20.

Information on this is appreciated...

I've used both the SF20 and SF64.  

With the SF20, you use the A mode on the flash which essentially functions the same as it would on any other camera. There is no communications between the flash and the body and the flash power (duration) is controlled by the flash.

With the SF64 you get full TTL.  Plug and play / full automation.   The flash unit is of course too large for the tiny CL body.

I can recommend the SF24D as a compact flash.  It is almost identical to the SF20 (e.g. you'll still use the A mode) but it has more refined control increments that will make it a lot easier / faster to dial in under or over exposure.

7 hours ago, cpclee said:

...I can recommend the SF24D as a compact flash.  It is almost identical to the SF20 (e.g. you'll still use the A mode) but it has more refined control increments that will make it a lot easier / faster to dial in under or over exposure.

Yes, there are other small flashes that can work with the CL, but manual or auto mode.
The SF 40 is excellent but still perhaps a little too bulky in my opinion.
As I have already mentioned, the SF 24 D is a very handy little flash that goes well with the CL. For less frequent use, it is ideal and also works perfectly in TTL mode.
The hardest part is finding one at a decent price...

Guytou

Edited by Guytou
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Guytou said:

Yes, there are other small flashes that can work with the CL, but manual or auto mode.
The SF 40 is excellent but still perhaps a little too bulky in my opinion.
As I have already mentioned, the SF 24 D is a very handy little flash that goes well with the CL. For less frequent use, it is ideal and also works perfectly in TTL mode.
The hardest part is finding one at a decent price...

Guytou

I think neither the SF20 nor the SF24D can work with the CL in TTL mode.