Has anyone tried a Flash with CL or TL2?..

Dopaco

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 hours ago, Guytou said:

Yes, there are other small flashes that can work with the CL, but manual or auto mode.
The SF 40 is excellent but still perhaps a little too bulky in my opinion.
As I have already mentioned, the SF 24 D is a very handy little flash that goes well with the CL. For less frequent use, it is ideal and also works perfectly in TTL mode.
The hardest part is finding one at a decent price...

Guytou

Congratulations on getting the SF20, btw.  Mine has served me loyally for 22 years without fail.  The quality of its light output is excellent and the A mode is accurate.  My only gripe is that in A mode, it's limited to three aperture settings so if you are not using one of these three apertures you have to dial in appropriate compensation via the ISO setting.   The SF24D offers more aperture settings but I was never motivated enough to pay extra for the 24D.

Edited by cpclee

8 hours ago, cpclee said:

I think neither the SF20 nor the SF24D can work with the CL in TTL mode.  

The SF 24 D flash is fully compatible with the CL, especially in TTL mode.
I own one and am completely satisfied with it. It is even easy to deport with a Nikon extension cable (SC 17, 28 and others) while keeping the TTL metering.
This small flash is really very practical and not bulky.

As I said, the most difficult thing is to find it at a reasonable price...

Guytou

Due to the type of photos that I do, the need to use a flash will be very limited, so I wanted to buy the SF24D to use it in my TL2, but the price I saw in used units was high, so I bought the SF20 at a lower price. which, in automatic mode (A) works perfectly.

Then I saw the Q20, which was reasonably priced, and I bought it.

Both flashes are small and handy which is what I wanted

• 1 month later...

I have a related question regarding a flash for my CL.  I rarely use flash and don't want to drop a bundle on one.  I bought a Godox Mini for my Canon R6 and it works reasonably well.  My question is, will the Godox, in manual or auto (not ttl), work on the CL and NOT fry the circuitry of the CL?  Thanks,

That would be a first…. I think that the last flash with a high trigger voltage was made fifty years ago and digital cameras can accept high voltages in their flash shoes. Most brands take 250 V and Leica normally 600 V

Thanks to all who replied; greatly appreciated.  On my M cameras, I used a Nikon SB 26 and it's extension cord.  The hot shoes on the flash and cord didn't exactly fit the camera mount so I had a number of misfires.  I also had a Metz 45, which was far too large for my purposes.  

• 4 weeks later...

I don't use flash all that much, usually only for tabletop and other still/setup photographs, but I've variously used a Sunpak 144, a Nikon SB-30, and a couple of Paterson Flash Panels with the Leica CL (and many other cameras). I usually use any of them with either Cactus V2 or Cactus V5 remote triggers in order to avoid having sync wires dangling about to trip on or pull the camera/tripod over, and I use a Sekonic L358 or L478D flash meter to evaluate exposure requirements. 

Sometimes I've set up the flash panels on light stands and/or SB-30 on-camera, all with slaves/remote triggers and bounce lighting diffusers, etc, so that I can shoot a party or gathering more easily. I make a couple of pops and read the light I get around the space that way, adjust time and aperture manually to suit the needs.

I don't think I've used an on-camera auto-flash since the 1970s... ;)

G

On 10/11/2022 at 7:04 AM, Guytou said:

Hello,

The same recommendations appear in the CL manual.
I have a CL and recently bought an SF 24 d. I also got myself a Nikon SC-28 extension cable which retains the TTL metering.
The set works perfectly.

Guytou

Since you're using a Nikon extension cable, wouldn't or couldn't a Nikon flash also work properly on the Leica CL?

Hello,

The Nikon extension cable (SC 17 and others) works with the SF24 because the contacts are placed in the same place on the CL hot shoe and these electrical contacts are sufficient to trigger the flash.
On the other hand, I don't think that a Nikon flash would work normally in auto or TTL. In manual mode maybe, like many other brands.

But I'm not going to buy one just to try, the SF 24 is really great with the CL...

Guytou

6 hours ago, mktgdoc said:

Since you're using a Nikon extension cable, wouldn't or couldn't a Nikon flash also work properly on the Leica CL?

The Nikon flash extension cables do work simply because the pin out and wiring are the same as the Leica body and flashes. That is independent of the control protocol which moves between camera and flash. 

A Nikon flash does not support the same control protocol as the Leica flash unit, so a Nikon dedicated flash unit will not function in any automated manner with the Leica CL/TL series cameras.

G

On 2/9/2023 at 1:04 AM, mktgdoc said:

Thank you for the information.  I wonder if the protocol for the CL is different than my M6S or M9 since I was able to use a Nikon SB 26 flash on both with the flash on auto and ttl.

The flash most likely reverted to auto when you set it to TTL.