Has anyone tried a Flash with CL or TL2?..

Dopaco

Hello,

The same recommendations appear in the CL manual.
I have a CL and recently bought an SF 24 d. I also got myself a Nikon SC-28 extension cable which retains the TTL metering.
The set works perfectly.

Guytou

I am an oldball here, I use a Metz 45 CT-1 with my CL. This is an extremely accurate thyristor flash, set the fstop, you're fine from about 5 to 20 ft. I only use the AA batteries with it, I have a bigger pack but it is too heavy and I don't want to use it with a digital camera. I have a PC connector that goes on the flash hot shoe. This gives me the ability to bounce light, I have used it into umbrellas and off walls and ceilings, the exposure is still accurate. 

Leica SF 26 # 14622
Was developed for Leica digital cameras of the M-, T- and X- series and works fine on the digital CL too. It is a flash from 2014 though. I guess it is discontinued as it is not advertised on the Leica website anymore.

Leica_SF26_specs.pdf

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

It appears to be one of the smaller flashes that Leica has.
It was quite used with Leica T.
Here they talk a little about this flash.   https://erickoke.wordpress.com/2016/05/27/leica-sf-26-pocket-speedlight-for-digital/

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/11/2022 at 1:04 PM, Guytou said:

Hello,

I have a CL and recently bought an SF 24 d. I also got myself a Nikon SC-28 extension cable which retains the TTL metering.
The set works perfectly.

Guytou

Here he speaks well of said flash:        https://www.leicalensesfornormalpeople.com/2022/05/06/leica-sf-24d-the-only-leica-accessory-i-cant-live-without/

On 10/11/2022 at 5:44 PM, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I am an oldball here, I use a Metz 45 CT-1 with my CL. This is an extremely accurate thyristor flash, set the fstop, you're fine from about 5 to 20 ft. I only use the AA batteries with it, I have a bigger pack but it is too heavy and I don't want to use it with a digital camera. I have a PC connector that goes on the flash hot shoe. This gives me the ability to bounce light, I have used it into umbrellas and off walls and ceilings, the exposure is still accurate. 

Do you mean one like the one in the photo? It is very big and I think it only works in Manual.

My intention is to find a good but small flash for TL2 and if possible one that fits in a pocket.

Sometimes when I take out my TL2 I carry the Visoflex 020, protected in its cloth bag and I keep it in my pants pocket and use it if the sun prevents me from seeing the screen well. If I had a flash I would use it indoors or in dark areas, so obviously I won't need to use Visoflex 020 with the TL2 screen, it would be more than enough.

Yes, I prefer big flashes, you don't have to worry about how far you are away from the subject. It works with a very acurate thyristor control. Set the flash for an fstop, set that fstop on the camera and you are good to go, no calculating. It has never let me down, I can bounce light and get good results, at stated fstop. Operation is really not that different from an automatic flash, just more versitile than the ones I have seen. No it doesn't fit in your pocket, I generally will have a camera bag with me. It is also a really good handle for the camera.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 1:04 PM, Guytou said:

Hello,

The set works perfectly.

Guytou

@Guytou

I assume you bought it used. New I haven't been able to see any.
I have found a used one for $165 titanium color with some scratches in the paint and another of the same color and better paint for $195. Do you think this price is reasonable?

Yes, I recently bought the second-hand SF 24 D flash for 160 € (in France). It is in near mint condition and proves excellent in use with the CL. It is not bulky and takes up very little space in the bag.
The Nikon SC-17, SC-18 or even SC-28 extension cord is totally compatible because it is passive and the pinout is identical to Leica (this type of extension cord does not exist at Leica.)
It can be very practical in certain situations and even allows the use of the SF 24D in TTL mode.

Guytou

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I have seen them for under $100, right now on US EBay, Roberts Camera has one for $15, didn't read the description. A reputable dealer. Others were $25 - $60. 

@tommonego@gmail.com

I have not been able to see the prices you say, can you give me the link.

On 10/11/2022 at 6:51 PM, lct said:

Leica SF 26 # 14622
Was developed for Leica digital cameras of the M-, T- and X- series and works fine on the digital CL too. It is a flash from 2014 though. I guess it is discontinued as it is not advertised on the Leica website anymore.

Leica_SF26_specs.pdf 1.12 MB · 2 downloads

@lct

For aesthetics, size and mobility it is the one I like the most and I don't think I need more, but the price of the Leica discourages me when I see that it is the same flash as the Metz 26 AF-2 and at an infinitely lower price. From what I've read you have to choose the one that says it goes to Panasonic. Olympia and Leica.
Has anyone tried it with Leica TL or CL cameras?
What is your opinion?... Thank you.

Edited by Dopaco

1 hour ago, Dopaco said:

[...] the price of the Leica discourages me when I see that it is the same flash as the Metz 26 AF-2 and at an infinitely lower price. From what I've read you have to choose the one that says it goes to Panasonic. Olympia and Leica. [...]

The Metz does not work with the CL AFAIK. See:

• Like 1

Thank you friends for all the information received.

Right now my decision is between Leica SF 26 and SF 24 D.
Of the SF 26 there are few second-hand units for sale and those that exist are very expensive.
SF 24D there are more units for sale and with better prices.
I am looking at prices.

I look and look, I see that the prices of the second-hand Leica SF 24 D are very high prices.

I think I will have to look for an alternative from another brand other than Leica.

I have a Metz 48 AF1, which works in Automatic in TL2 but due to its size they make a lousy set..

I'm thinking of looking for an alternative to the Leica SF 24 D flash even if you only have to use it in auto mode.

It would be interesting to receive help to find that alternative.

Thanks for the link.
In the end I decide on the SF 20, it is somewhat cheaper and for the service I want to give it, it can work. When it's in my possession and I test it, I'll let you know.
Thank you very much for all the help offered.

• Like 1