What's up with the Leica SLR S-System?

rarino5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In all the discussions about Leica bodies & system I rarely hear and even forget that Leica has a medium format SLR "S-System" in their current line up. Surprisingly the 1st "SLR S system", the " Leica S1 Pro" released in 1996 already had 26 megapixels. The latest model "Leica S3" released in 2018 has 64 megapixels and is priced from 16K to 20K+ USD for just the camera body alone. I won't even go into the S line up of lenses.

So what gives? Who uses these medium format high-res SLRs? Are they used for architecture work or other niche photo work? Just curious as to why you rarely hear or see any discussion on them. Are they as obscure as they are or did I just have my head in the sand too long?

I'm an architectural photographer who shoots that with Medium Format digital with Rodenstock HR Lenses on a Acra Swiss F Metric

I also have the Leica S 007 for shooting dance with 28, 70, 120 and 180 CS lenses for syncing flash at 1/1000th second.

So I know both worlds. The S system is brilliant for studio shooting with dancers. The batteries last forever. I can get through a whole day without changing them. This camera never overheats. I also love shooting tethered with it. 

The cost was quite inexpensive, as I bought all my lenses second hand and had them serviced by Leica before the transaction. I was lucky to buy a brand new 007 inexpensively from Leica Manchester after the S3 had come out. The 007 is faster, which suits me. Although, in time I will buy the S3. 

I can use the lenses on my Leica SL2 which is excellent. As the lenses are distortion free. 

Can anyone inform me what the adapter does for the 180mm? I guess it allows you to focus closer.

I have been so impressed the the S system. As my work uses a fast shutter speed, I don't need stabilisation. I use it for a very specific kind of work with Profoto Lighting. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Nick Guttridge said:

Can anyone inform me what the adapter does for the 180mm? I guess it allows you to focus closer.

"To get some extra flexibility out of the 180mm, you can attach the screw-on ELPRO-S 180mm Close Focus Adapter, which shortens the working range to 1.1 – 2.7m. There’s no light loss like you’d have with an extension tube and optical quality isn’t sacrificed. And while it will physically fit on the same 72mm filter thread, the ELPRO-S is ineffective on the 120mm APO-Macro. We tried." from here.

• Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb rarino5:

II won't even go into the S line up of lenses.

I think that's exactly where you should go. The S lenses are some of the best optics Leica has ever produced, period. My 120 APO is simply spectacular for portraits/headshots for example, and can now be had for something like 4-5K. Note that production numbers on both camera bodies and individual lenses are very low (maybe with the exception of the standard 70mm), so it's pretty rare to see Leica S gear out in the wild, I give you that. There's nothing obscure about those S system DNG files, though. They shine brightly.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some cameras you pick up and they jump out of your hand like an unfriendly cat. Others stick like they're covered in glue and you can't shake them off. From the moment I picked up an S(006), I couldn't put it down. Health problems led me to lighter systems, but they wouldn't stay. When I could carry the S again, I did. It's not just the feel, of course - the images make me smile more than anything. The only thing close was a Phase One CCD back with tech camera lenses. But if you want that look *and* f/2.5, it's unique.

Matt

Edited by mgrayson3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, mgrayson3 said:

Some cameras you pick up and they jump out of your hand like an unfriendly cat. Others stick like they're covered in glue and you can't shake them off.

I parted with a Phase One XF & IQ180 (80MP) digital back for the 007. The 007 feels like it's 'part of me' or 'in tune with me' whereas the XF just felt like an unwieldy third limb. The battery life of the 007 is also one thing less to worry about. I couldn't be happier. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Nick Guttridge said:

Yes. It let you to ficus closer. It will allow you to shoot a headshot or beauty work more easily. It works only with the 180mm. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Here is close focus with the 180 and 180+Elpro. The vase is about 5 inches wide and 5 feet away in the first shot. The 180 has rendering to die for. It has just a bit less of an edge than the 120, and it's also an APO. Sadly, it's a bit long and heavy to carry around on a walk.

Edited by mgrayson3
  • Like 3

From the data specs, the 180-S uses internal (middle group) focusing.  ((|( |)) <> |))  ()    |sensor

The 120-Macro-S uses front-group focusing. (((<> ( ( )())))(    |sensor

Always remember how an add-on "close-up lens" like the Elpro works - it shortens the prime-lens focal length very slightly so that one gets closer with the same amount of lens position change. But that is for traditional unit-focusing lenses (entire lens moves forward together) - e.g. Leica-R-type 90/135/180 non-APOs.

Internal optical movement (and more of it, from the internal 180 diagram) works more like a unitary-focus lens than moving just the front elements right behind the Elpro (smaller movement distance has less effect with a screw-on Elpro, which in effect has become part of the front group (but non-moving)).

Edited by adan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I don't know a better way to get 1:1 on the S than the Contax 120/4 macro with adapter. Having said that, the S120/2.5 is such a magnificent lens that the extra magnification from the Contax doesn't give quite twice the resolution. I usually stick with the S120/2.5.

Matt

• Like 2

13 hours ago, steve.chang said:

The Elpro-S 180 does not work well with the S 120. 

You can get the adapter from the link below for the S 120, to use the Elpro for R-100 Macro, to reach 1:1.
https://leicastoremiami.com/products/adapter-1-1-for-leica-r-elpro-to-s-120mm-macro?variant=1009751144

Just try to share the info. Happy shooting!

Edited by steve.chang

2 hours ago, steve.chang said:

Just try to share the info. Happy shooting!

Does the 16545 work well enough with the S120 to make it effective? And "Out of Stock" sometimes means "Out of Production". Is this a current item?

M