What's up with the Leica SLR S-System?

rarino5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If it is the R Elpro, then no, it is not in production. But it seems strange that Leica did not offer it for the S 120 if it did work to their standards...they would not have to engineer anything, just produce it again. Unless it had a phased out kind of glass etc. But if it can bring the S 120 to 1 to 1 with good results, that is quite a useful tool to have.

edit: ah, I see it is not the elpro, but an adapter to use the elpro. Sorry. Still, would be interested to get my hands on it and an elpro if it does the job well.

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

If it is the R Elpro, then no, it is not in production. But it seems strange that Leica did not offer it for the S 120 if it did work to their standards...they would not have to engineer anything, just produce it again. Unless it had a phased out kind of glass etc. But if it can bring the S 120 to 1 to 1 with good results, that is quite a useful tool to have.

edit: ah, I see it is not the elpro, but an adapter to use the elpro. Sorry. Still, would be interested to get my hands on it and an elpro if it does the job well.

ELPRO-R (for the 100mm macro-R) works fine on S120. Some vignetting at max magnification (based on memory; need to check). An example (somewhat cropped) 

Edited by helged
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Stuart Richardson said:

Yes. I'd feel foolish getting the R Elpro on eBay and then having no way to use it!

21 hours ago, mgrayson3 said:

Does the 16545 work well enough with the S120 to make it effective? And "Out of Stock" sometimes means "Out of Production". Is this a current item?

M

You may send them an email to see how soon they can restock this, and ask them any question you have. It had been for sale (in-stock) for the past two years afaik. Josh from Leica Miami is very reachable via emails. He is always very helpful from my experiences. 

Best,
Steve

Edited by steve.chang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, steve.chang said:

You may send them an email to see how soon they can restock this, and ask them any question you have. It had been for sale (in-stock) for the past two years afaik. Josh from Leica Miami is very reachable via emails. He is always very helpful from my experiences. 

Best,
Steve

Steve,

Josh did respond very quickly and informed me that the adapter is no longer obtainable and they will remove it from their site. Unfortunately, impulse purchasing on eBay is faster than email and I will soon be the embarrassed owner of an R Elpro 16545. Well, I'll either find the one or find someone who wants the other.😖

Matt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, John McMaster said:

It may work to some extent with a 60mm > 72mm step-up ring...

john

I asked Josh and that's what he said it was. Unfortunately, 72 to 60 step-down rings don't seem to exist, so I ordered a 72-58 step-down and a 58-60 step-up. Total cost $10. I doubt the 58mm ring will cause vignetting. If it works, I'll get better brass rings.

Matt

3 hours ago, mgrayson3 said:

Steve,

Josh did respond very quickly and informed me that the adapter is no longer obtainable and they will remove it from their site. Unfortunately, impulse purchasing on eBay is faster than email and I will soon be the embarrassed owner of an R Elpro 16545. Well, I'll either find the one or find someone who wants the other.😖

Matt

Sorry to hear that Matt, and hopefully the step-down and step-up rings will work. Thanks for trying.

I also have an S 120 and regretted not pulling the trigger to buy one of those when still available. 

Edited by steve.chang
  • Thanks 1

I'm happy to report that $10 in step-up step-down rings works wonderfully.

Here's uncropped with the S3 with S120/2.5 at f/8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And at 100%

Here's uncropped with the addition of the 16545 R 100/2.8 Elpro

And 100%

The sharpness is technique limited. I was doing this quick and dirty with a light tripod and a non-flat target.

Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 6/29/2022 at 10:56 AM, mgrayson3 said:

I asked Josh and that's what he said it was. Unfortunately, 72 to 60 step-down rings don't seem to exist, so I ordered a 72-58 step-down and a 58-60 step-up. Total cost $10. I doubt the 58mm ring will cause vignetting. If it works, I'll get better brass rings.

Matt

Where did you get the rings?

I got the neccessaries, because closer appealed to me greatly.  I found that the DOF is nil, but I will persevere.

This little leaflet is 1" top to bottom and is shot at f16 which I never do.  Focusing is also difficult.

Schefflera

• Like 1

2 hours ago, traveler11 said:

I got the neccessaries, because closer appealed to me greatly.  I found that the DOF is nil, but I will persevere.

This little leaflet is 1" top to bottom and is shot at f16 which I never do.  Focusing is also difficult.

Schefflera

Yep, 1:1 macro has no DoF. I get under 1mm at f/8, so it takes a lot of stacking. Fortunately, computers are fast and memory is cheap. I added a relatively inexpensive NiSi macro focusing rail. Makes it much easier to stack. Capture, half turn, capture, half turn, ... repeat as necessary.

Edited by mgrayson3
  • Like 1

Here's a 10 shot stack at 1:1. The rusted bar is about a half inch wide with roughly square cross-section. It's part of a window guard. There are some flaws in the stacking - I don't know if they're software or bad shooting. I didn't spend any time trying to edit Photoshop's stack choice.

Bar visible on far left. Fierce guard cat Soup visible lower right 😆

Edited by mgrayson3
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2022 at 5:37 PM, rarino5 said:

In all the discussions about Leica bodies & system I rarely hear and even forget that Leica has a medium format SLR "S-System" in their current line up. Surprisingly the 1st "SLR S system", the " Leica S1 Pro" released in 1996 already had 26 megapixels. The latest model "Leica S3" released in 2018 has 64 megapixels and is priced from 16K to 20K+ USD for just the camera body alone. I won't even go into the S line up of lenses https://100001.onl/ https://1921681254.mx/.

So what gives? Who uses these medium format high-res SLRs? Are they used for architecture work or other niche photo work? Just curious as to why you rarely hear or see any discussion on them. Are they as obscure as they are or did I just have my head in the sand too long?

I got this,...