Moving water long exposure how to

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Question on how to smooth moving water... I'm shooting in M with f/11 and shutter dial set at 1+, Auto ISO.  I use the right thumb wheel to set shudder to something like 30 sec.  Now I want to tweak the ISO to get the exposure where I want.  I can't figure out how to tweak just the ISO part, the image is over exposed.  ??  Yes I'm searching Youtube videos to see if I can find some help...

1 minute ago, Corius said:

I would guess that the cameral cannot set the Auto ISO low enough to get a correct exposure.  You could use a Neutral Density filter or just set the exposure for a shorter time. 30 secs seems very high.

Thanks.  Yeah I wondering about trying a ND filter.  I'm thinking of trying a variable ND filter just to learn.

I use thread-on ND filters on my Q. They do a fine job.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would not use auto ISO.

Set ISO at something like 200, use a small aperture and the shutter speed should take care of itself.

Alternatively, set shutter speed and aperture manually, using the exposure guide in the viewfinder.

Like Corius wrote: The camera culd not set the ISO low enough to get a long enough exposure in daylight, even with fully closed aperture. You have to use a ND Filter.

It also depends on the effect you want to get. Should the water look like fog as shown above, or do you just want to make the movement more visible?

If you have quick moving water like a waterfall, a 1/15 or even a 1/60 Second is OK.

Those pictuires where taken wit 1/60 Second.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3