Issues experienced with developing BW film

ejg1890

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello

First I would like to thank everyone for guidance and suggestions from previous posts as I began developing my own film.  

I have now developed a number of BW film in both 35mm (Leica) and 120mm (Rolleiflex) films. I haven’t selected specific film at this point but have tried HP5+, TMAX, Tri-x and Delta 400. I am using D-76 primarily stock, but have also used 1:3 solution as well. Finally I use Negative Supply film carriers and light source along with a Nikon Z6 w/50mm MC lens.

For the most part all has gone well however, there are several items I frequently see in the scans I create.

1. Streaks in the sky as in the picture below. I am not sure what this is a result of I do use Kodak Photo Flo during the wash process. I also use a film squeegee once the film is hanging to dry. This particular example is from Koday TMAX 400 in D-76 1:3 solution. On another photo (Delta 400) I had water drops on the film. That one I tried not to use the squeegee so the didnt work. 
  2. A more frequent problem is camera scans once converted are much lighter around the edges and need to be darkened. Don’t think its light into the development tank as it impacts both sides of the film. I believe the photo isnt picking up the same level of light on the edges as the top, bottom, and middle so once converted the dark area are lighter. Has anyone else experienced this issue using a film carrier (35mm and 120mm) for camera scans? Any thoughts to resolve this issue?

Thanks and appreciate any feedback.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I think you can rule out anything regarding scanning. Streaks like that are poor agitation of the film in the tank, so if you can backtrack and describe what you are doing in processing it may help.

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

I think you can rule out anything regarding scanning. Streaks like that are poor agitation of the film in the tank, so if you can backtrack and describe what you are doing in processing it may help.

Ok. Thanks. Some times I will flip and roll the tank around. Other times I will use the little agitation stick and spin the reel. I do believe that one batch I did spin the reel with the agitation stick rather than flip and roll the tank.  I will do the first minute and 10 seconds each minute.  I also use the development times from the Massive Dev Chart. Specifically I use the Massive Dev app on the iPhone.  Also this would have been a fresh batch of developer but at a 1:3 solution. 

Edited by ejg1890

Looking at the image you posted, the first thing that I notice is "surging" by which I mean patches of light streaks that appear to emanate from the sprocket holes along the top of the image traveling down, into the cloud cover. This usually happens when film is over-agitated. For instance: I have seen this when developing one reel in a multi-reel tank--for instance, one reel in the Paterson two-reel tank. In those cases, only 300 mL of developer is added, sometimes only one reel is used, other times two reels--one empty at the top and the reel containing the film on the bottom of the tank. In any event, the developer is flowing too quickly across the film surface (typically this is set-up during the first agitation cycle).

The purpose of agitation is to break the surface flow pattern set up by the developer at frequent intervals. This does not need to be done quickly or aggressively. Gentle inversions, preferably with alternating twists on each end of the inversion is sufficient.  

Of course, other things might also be afoot here. Let's talk about drying marks. I don't recommend using a squeegee unless you have been shown how to do this without scratching film. I've developed film for over 30 years without using a squeegee; instead I allow the processed and washed film to sit, without agitation, in a properly prepared solution of Photo-Flo for about a minute. I gently remove each reel, gently shaking off any excess Photo-Flo, and hang each to dry in a relatively dry, dust-free place for at least six hours before even thinking about scanning, etc. (Actually, I find over-night best; I find peace in the processing of film--less so in scanning, culling, annotating metadata, etc.)

Regarding the Massive Development Chart: You said that you processed TMax-400 (IIRC)? I am pretty sure that Kodak has published times and agitation schedules for this film in D-76, at various dilutions. Prefer the manufacturer's specifications when in doubt. 

If possible, stick with one film, one developer, one processing temperature, one agitation protocol, etc., until you are comfortable with the process. This is NOT to say that you'll be happy with the results, but at least they'll be reproducible and will give you the skills to migrate to other films, developers, etc. Try NOT to attach too much importance to any particular film; learn what options are open to you. Choose your film based upon your desired results--not the other way around. Lastly, have fun with this.

• Like 2

as said, too less agitation while developing / fixing, could be the reason as the issues follow the perforation . I only use Rodinal / Tetenal fixation, agitated as well /  and clearing with running Water. No Flos .... etc. schnick schnack. Kitchen Paper for getting off most water , fast drying in a warm place. 

8 hours ago, ejg1890 said:

Ok. Thanks. Some times I will flip and roll the tank around. Other times I will use the little agitation stick and spin the reel. I do believe that one batch I did spin the reel with the agitation stick rather than flip and roll the tank.  I will do the first minute and 10 seconds each minute.  I also use the development times from the Massive Dev Chart. Specifically I use the Massive Dev app on the iPhone.  Also this would have been a fresh batch of developer but at a 1:3 solution. 

As said above sounds like you are being over aggressive with the agitation and you are getting surge around the edges of the reel. 30 seconds initial agitation is the norm and you are only trying to cover the film evenly and remove air bubbles because besides surge you don't want to make the developer froth. For short to average development times just using the stick is ok, a gentle turn one way then the other way. For longer development times you want to invert the tank to redistribute exhausted developer, but this only need be once or twice while using the twiddle stick the rest of the time. Whichever way you choose keep it gentle and try to keep the same regimen so as not to introduce variables, film processing is about consistency and changing one thing at a time.

• Like 3