Recommendation for Leica Summilux-TL 35mm Hood replacement

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I saw that most people are not prefer to use its original lens hood for Leica Summilux-TL 35mm. I am curious if anyone has a good idea to replace this bulky one. It just kills the compactness of CL.

Edited by Ray Im

It may 'kill the compactness', but it is more efficient and reducing flare than a shorter hood. I prefer the hood designed for the lens.. Remove it for travel and replace it on location.

• Like 1

The 35mm f1.4 all by itself, without the hood, kills the compactness of the CL, LOL.

I use the 35/1.4 (and the 60mm f2.8 macro) both, with the same hood on all the time and in the bag with it fitted in the shooting position so I’m not fiddling with having to put it on every time I want to use either lens.

• Like 2

I never should have commented on this thread. I had my 60mm f2.8 in the bag with the hood reversed for the first time ever. Took it out to use. removed the hood, started to mount it on the lens and the darn thing fell apart. It had been mounted in the shooting position since the day it first came out of the box until I reversed it a week or so ago.

I see the right positioning, got it seated right and mounted so I can use it as/is today, will get it glued into place shortly, mount it back on the lens and the darn thing is never coming off again.

Edited by Gregm61
  • Like 3

"fell apart"? If its inner synthetic bayonet broke loose from the alu tube, sounds almost like the poor thing must first have been reversed in the wrong position with quite some angry torque, rrrah 😉

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When some of these TL lenses first came out there were reports of the hoods coming apart. And a lot of grumbles about build quality.  
That said, the hoods on my 35, 60, 18-56 and 11-23 stayed good till I sold them.

Edited by LocalHero1953

I am on my third hood for my 35. First one fell apart shortly after purchasing the lens new. Received a new replacement that lasted a year or so and fell into two when I changed it from it’s reversed position to shoot some pictures. Received a new one which is still ok. It seems that the hood is vulnerable to knocks when reversed as all of my problems come when swapping it around from it’s reversed position.

Never had this problem with my SL lenses or TL zooms…seems specific to the 35/60 one. It is a very poor design and not something I expected from Leica. Given that hoods have been around for decades, I find it utterly bewildering that dumb designs still make it into the production of such a simple accessory.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve had two 35/60mm hoods fall apart in exactly the same way - the inner plastic ring separates from the hood. You can glue it back but it’s not easy and a bit fiddly to get a good result without getting excess glue. The key is to mark the anti-rotation “pin” location to allow the inner ring to be oriented quickly.

None of my other TL lens hoods have had this problem…

11 hours ago, SoCalLeicanator said:

Mine fell apart as well.  I bought a Sensei step up ring and a hood from B and H and it's not perfectly snug, but the setup is much more compact. If anyone wants details, I can post links.  

I went this same route too... (though not B&H) and with a slightly less deep but same profile hood, which I find ok to leave mounted full-time.