actual focus distance for M lens on CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Surprised as I find actual focus distance for M lens on CL is not same as marking on lens barrel.  In fact indicated distance on lens barrel ( about 1.3 meters ) is shorter against using measurement tools ( 1.5 meters ) per attached picture.  Do you find the same when using M lens on CL?

If it is true, then I need to take this into consideration when doing blind focusing ( without using EVF ) in street photography.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

vor 7 Minuten schrieb baretta:

Bcoz of adapter

No, the adapter does not change anything. If it would, infinity would be different as well, and hopefully that's not the case.

The markings on any given lens are likely not 100% exact. I bet that if you were to use your lens on an M body, you would likely find the same result.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wizard said:

No, the adapter does not change anything. If it would, infinity would be different as well, and hopefully that's not the case.

The markings on any given lens are likely not 100% exact. I bet that if you were to use your lens on an M body, you would likely find the same result.

Indeed and 1.3m vs 1.5m is not that bad an approximation. Accurate enough for zone focusing since the last century i guess but on crop cameras like the digital CL, the OP may wish to take the corresponding crop factor into consideration. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 11:09 PM, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I was having problems with my 35 Summilux being unsharp at infinity. I put the lens on my CL with a Leica adapter and found infinity was actually between 20 and 30 ft on the focus scale. It was enough proof for DAG to take the lens in for a realignment. 

The sharpest image at infinity of my Elmart-M 28mm asph on digital CL is between 12 and 30 feet … it is strange to me as I don’t aware of focus issue when using the lens on M9.

Should I leave it as it is or send it for realignment ( concerns what if the lens after realignment will focus correctly on digital CL but not M9 )?Would appreciate for further suggestions from forum members.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was trying to photograph the moon and Venus (can't get much more infinity than that) with the Summilux 35 and my M8, it was coming out very blurry. I switched tomy CL and it became apparent where infinity was. Dan Goldberg thought it was proof enough. Hand held and still could be better. 

CL 35mm Summilux pre asph

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 10:11 PM, lct said:

Indeed and 1.3m vs 1.5m is not that bad an approximation. Accurate enough for zone focusing since the last century i guess but on crop cameras like the digital CL, the OP may wish to take the corresponding crop factor into consideration. 

Agree.  What I will do is put the focusing ring closer than what I usually do, for example, subject at six feet away I will set focusing ring at five feet instead to compensate the focus alignment situation of my Elmarit-M 28mm asph on digital CL ( I would rather not to send the lens away for focus realignment while it focus correctly on M9 ).