35mm - This is the way!

Dennis

6 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Good reviews.  While true to the original design, I think I would find the infinity lock a bit annoying, as I discovered using the Summaron f/2.8.  But a nice, budget friendly alternative to the v.1 Summicron, even with difficult to source glass.

Jeff

Yes, more than anything will add something different to my other 35s ... I wanted to try the 8 element look, but had a limited budget. 

I really hope I made the right decision. As long as I get it, will share my opinion... 

12 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Yes, more than anything will add something different to my other 35s ... I wanted to try the 8 element look, but had a limited budget. 

I really hope I made the right decision. As long as I get it, will share my opinion... 

Hope you enjoy.  But if not, it seems in demand, with limited supply, so probably a free test, at worst.

Jeff

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

Hope you enjoy.  But if not, it seems in demand, with limited supply, so probably a free test, at worst.

Jeff

I hope too. And I think I will. But who know, until actually use it and download.

But I like very much the idea of a free test 🏆

5 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I think I would find the infinity lock a bit annoying,

Oh, I like playing with that, gives me a feeling of good craftmanship of the maker. The Summaron runs very smooth too, I trust that will be the case with the 8 elements too

5 hours ago, Dennis said:

Congrats! Should be fine, have a good light with it!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jeff S said:

...While true to the original design, I think I would find the infinity lock a bit annoying, as I discovered using the Summaron f/2.8...

It's a funny old thing; this 'like / dislike' of the infinity-lock idea. Having grown up (quite literally) with i-lock equipped lenses I find using 50mm-and-shorter lenses without such a feature a bit strange. In fact I never owned any Leica-fit lens - either LTM or M - without an i-lock until I bought my 40 f1.4 Voigtlander Nokton eight years ago. At least it has a focus-tab otherwise I'd be really lost!...

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, pippy said:

It's a funny old thing; this 'like / dislike' of the infinity-lock idea. 

Yup, many threads here regarding their purpose(s) as well as user preferences.  I started my M adventures in the 80’s (using other brands in the 70’s), but never experienced the infinity lock until more recently with the Summaron.  My 1960 M mount Summaron is extremely well crafted; any handling issues are due to me.

Seems even Leica couldn’t make up its mind, as some reintroduced collapsible lenses in the 90’s (50 and 90 macro) omitted the lock (and the focus tab!). 

Different strokes…

Jeff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pippy said:

It's a funny old thing; this 'like / dislike' of the infinity-lock idea. Having grown up (quite literally) with i-lock equipped lenses I find using 50mm-and-shorter lenses without such a feature a bit strange. In fact I never owned any Leica-fit lens - either LTM or M - without an i-lock until I bought my 40 f1.4 Voigtlander Nokton eight years ago. At least it has a focus-tab otherwise I'd be really lost!...

Philip.

Never had experience with infinity-lock ... no idea. Maybe it's just about muscle memory, to make it easy!

4 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Never had experience with infinity-lock ... no idea. Maybe it's just about muscle memory, to make it easy!

Neither am I.

My very first infinity lock Summaron 2.8/35mm, I had found simple way to null the lock without modifying it.

I've read somewhere that the lock can be cancelled with a piece of paper in the tab.

With many experimentations, I was able to cancel the lock indeed on the Summaron 2.8.

Wanting later to do the same on the Summicron "I" 35mm, I never succeed, so I let it as is.

In use the locks at infinity on lenses (I have many lenses with lock now mainly LTM mount) do not ennoy me anymore, or if I can I cancel the lock.

14 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Let us know how you feel about the Ultron II, which lacks the lock. 

Jeff

I cannot tell you about image quality yet, thus far I'm not as impressed as I saw from two reviewers, I miss a clear distinction between focused and OOF areas, but I only shot B&W film with it until now. The handling however of the focusing knob is very attractive, focusing goes exactly right: not too stiff and not too smooth. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

In use the locks at infinity on lenses (I have many lenses with lock now mainly LTM mount) do not ennoy me anymore, or if I can I cancel the lock.

I'm now super curious to see hand-on the i-lock... And as I paint the engravings on my camera and lenses, I can also cancel the lock, if necessary.

Time and experience will tell.

4 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

But you are.

While with M10 you really need only one 35. And it doesn't need to be fastest one, except if you are bokeholic :)

I'm not collecting, thinking of re-sale in the future. I made the decision to don't sell anymore M cameras and lenses. I'm a pro and I use all my tools. I just want to use all of them as much as I can. I really enjoy!

Correct. I don't need at all another fast 35. WIth Nokton 1.4 and 1.2, more than enough.  

3 minutes ago, otto.f said:

I cannot tell you about image quality yet, thus far I'm not as impressed as I saw from two reviewers, I miss a clear distinction between focused and OOF areas, but I only shot B&W film with it until now. The handling however of the focusing knob is very attractive, focusing goes exactly right: not too stiff and not too smooth. 

I read very good things about the lens. But maybe is modern in a way that doesn't appeal you so much. I mean, the building and performance of the lens is great, but maybe it lacks of the Leica-look 👌... Some people think that the OOF render is a bit busy, very swirling...

2 minutes ago, Dennis said:

I'm a pro and I use all my tools. I just want to use all of them as much as I can. I really enjoy!

Correct. I don't need at all another fast 35. WIth Nokton 1.4 and 1.2, more than enough.  

:) 

2019 I meet with long time pro in Chicago. He has switched to only Leica RF digital about ten or so years ago. He is using them to get money for living and to do street photography.  The only 35 lens he is using and a lot is 35 1.4 FLE...

the OOF render is a bit busy, very swirling...

rather too smooth than too busy in my view. You can find several examples here from 'fotografr', I see no busi-ness here :), nor in my B&W shots

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

:) 

2019 I meet with long time pro in Chicago. He has switched to only Leica RF digital about ten or so years ago. He is using them to get money for living and to do street photography.  The only 35 lens he is using and a lot is 35 1.4 FLE...

I really like the organic approach 🙂 If for example I'm shooting an editorial assignment, with a precise concept/purpose in mind, I really like to pick a specific 35, to make the render/effect I want. And this is beautiful. I say organic because I like things to happen in camera chemistry, and not in PP.

5 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

The only 35 lens he is using and a lot is 35 1.4 FLE..

I thought a lot about this lens, being a pro. But because the price (first), the size and the slight focus shift at f4 (which is one of my sweet spot), I never wanted it.

I thought a lot about this lens, being a pro. But because the price (first), the size and the slight focus shift at f4 (which is one of my sweet spot), I never wanted it.

:) But 35 1.4 II is the last choice to make for the so called pro, IMO.

They say it is not good at f4 just as you saying about FLE.

And it has way too wonky rendering on f1.4. The only reason I have this lens is because of low ISO limitation of M-E 220.