Leica Q focus on infinity

rukez

5 hours ago, rukez said:

I’m sure someone already made a test - when maximum sharpness is achieved on Q for near horizon (far away) objects - when infinity mark is pointing on the central focus scale mark (focus on infinity) or on right selected aperture mark (hyperfocal)?

Maximum sharpness is achieved when the object in question is focused using either AF or manually using the EVF under high magnification. I wouldn't trust the lens markings unless you're stopped down to at least f/8 – maybe not even then.

• Thanks 1

Ok, finally snow is on pause now so visibility raised above 20 meters 🙂 and I was able to check that:

- With infinity mark pointing on central focus mark objects at 100+ meters are 100% perfectly in focus proven by both, live magnifying helper and 3 shots reviewed on pc made with small shifts (about 2 degrees) around infinity mark. All 3 are ok while center is the best among them.

- With infinity mark on aperture marks focus can't be proven by live view magnifier before you press DOF preview (I never used it so don't know how to turn it on on Q 🙂 ) but reviewing files on PC show that they are actually a little bit out of focus, even if using more narrow marks (5.6 marks with 8 aperture actually selected) and while resolution is still OK, taking in mind there is very insignificant gain in DOF with hyperfocal focus on 28mm lens, focusing on infinity seems a best way for scapes in MF. Unfortunately there is now hard stop at infinity mark, as you know ☹️ 

I must admit I haven't tested temperature influence on results stability yet, because camera was in my pocket and while it is -25C outside, camera and lens were above zero

• Thanks 1

Manual focus with the Q/Q2 is best left to close-distance shooting when you want to enjoy the manual focus experience. In my opinion: for landscape, AF is the most reliable way to focus the Q/Q2. It's extremely accurate at any distance and aperture, even infinity at f/1.7.

• Like 1

Yep, I’m really impressed with Q’s AF, but I’m just used to scale focus - it provides zero lag and never hits wires/trees/mesh so the only “not perfect thing” in Q for me is no hard infinity stop (and I hoped it was removed not for af/mf switch operation but because of hyperfocal lens optimization, but nope)

By the way, one more question about AF - I tried AF-C today and was actually surprised that it is more then usable, but I can’t find typical (for other cameras) switch between shutter (speed) and focus (accuracy) priority in this mode (that usually blocks shutter before focus is really achieved). Q’s AF-c makes a lot of wobbling, that is ok and understandable for contrast-only af system, but if there is a switch for priority I’d definitely want it to be in focus position because this wobbling looks really worrying and I want shutter to be released only in the middle of in-out phase. And also I wonder if it will go to “best” focus position if camera is set for back button focusing, af-c is selected and back button is released during wobbling focus movement is checking if contrast is lowering (and has left “best” spot)?

23 hours ago, rukez said:

Yep, I’m really impressed with Q’s AF, but I’m just used to scale focus - it provides zero lag and never hits wires/trees/mesh so the only “not perfect thing” in Q for me is no hard infinity stop (and I hoped it was removed not for af/mf switch operation but because of hyperfocal lens optimization, but nope)

By the way, one more question about AF - I tried AF-C today and was actually surprised that it is more then usable, but I can’t find typical (for other cameras) switch between shutter (speed) and focus (accuracy) priority in this mode (that usually blocks shutter before focus is really achieved). Q’s AF-c makes a lot of wobbling, that is ok and understandable for contrast-only af system, but if there is a switch for priority I’d definitely want it to be in focus position because this wobbling looks really worrying and I want shutter to be released only in the middle of in-out phase. And also I wonder if it will go to “best” focus position if camera is set for back button focusing, af-c is selected and back button is released during wobbling focus movement is checking if contrast is lowering (and has left “best” spot)?

I don't think the Q has any kind of AF boost/priority mode.