M9 - coincidence at infinity

pack_tor

Julian, I am interested in where the idea for the graph came from. I see the basic idea is that one adjustment determines the slope and the other the intercept. I thiink this needs a source though. I'm not clear on what you meant by labeling the axes "focus rotate" and "rangefinder window travel"; I guess that means travel of the parts to get to true focus and to get to coincidence, respectively.

The graph is great because it shows so many things visually: the back and forth of the procedure, back focus, front focus, hitting the lens stop early, focusing "past infinity," and a lot more.

Assuming the rangefinder works like this, I think you could just plot subject distance vs. actual focus distance and get the same kind of graphs; these are the two things you actually measure when you do the procedure. Also you might as well make the origin "closest focus." The line through the origin with unit slope (dotted line) represents a perfectly calibrated rangefinder.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, just looking for additional info.

Julian, I am interested in where the idea for the graph came from. I see the basic idea is that one adjustment determines the slope and the other the intercept. I thiink this needs a source though. I'm not clear on what you meant by labeling the axes "focus rotate" and "rangefinder window travel"; I guess that means travel of the parts to get to true focus and to get to coincidence, respectively.

The graph is great because it shows so many things visually: the back and forth of the procedure, back focus, front focus, hitting the lens stop early, focusing "past infinity," and a lot more.

Assuming the rangefinder works like this, I think you could just plot subject distance vs. actual focus distance and get the same kind of graphs; these are the two things you actually measure when you do the procedure. Also you might as well make the origin "closest focus." The line through the origin with unit slope (dotted line) represents a perfectly calibrated rangefinder.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, just looking for additional info.

I don't really know where the graph idea came from - I just wanted to record visually what was happening for future reference. As you say the focus rotate is the action of twisting the lens for focus and the rangefinder travel is the movement of the co-incedent window in the rangefinder, driven by the cam in the lens throat off the lens barrel.

off topic, but I've been led to believe the Bessa T has only one adjustment for the rangefinder, right on the back of the camera. Compared to two M8s and two R-D1s, this is the only camera that has been accurate right out of the box for me.

There are three points of adjustment in that arm. The hex excenter, the screw excenter, and the "waist" with the hole in the middle. That hole takes a bending tool, to bend the arm. Now these three play together to get the focus correct. Basically: adjust the hex for infinity, adjust the screw for close, and bend for intermediate. Return to hex, adjust infinity again (it will be off), adjust close,bend etc. and repeat that between three and five times to get a converging tolerance series. Now if you are prepared to do that - good luck to you....

Edited by jaapv

Hmmm...In my eyes it is a Voigtlander with the film replaced by a Nikon D70 sensor and a few digi add-ons, albeit retrostyled. Surprisingly it turned out to be quite a nice camera.

partly made at Cosina, but I thought finished at Epson. I don't actually know. But my current RD1 was adjusted at Epson Japan.

Hmmm...In my eyes it is a Voigtlander with the film replaced by a Nikon D70 sensor and a few digi add-ons, albeit retrostyled. Surprisingly it turned out to be quite a nice camera.

Yes it is a mainly a CV product but inspired by Epson. But I think saying it is a Bessa is a little bit like saying the M9 is a M7. Both digitals inherit some things from their analog sisters, but both are more than just derivatives. Completely unique characters (see the beautiful top plate controls on the R-D1).

And yes you are right, the R-D1 is a wonderful camera, I had/have a lot of fun with it. Still a very competent instrument today. I wish the M9 had some of its features.

Edited by mn4367

partly made at Cosina, but I thought finished at Epson. I don't actually know. But my current RD1 was adjusted at Epson Japan.

Apart from the digital imaging components I'm quite sure it is completely build and (behind the scenes) serviced by Cosina.

Interestingly I heard by someone from Leica that Epson first tried to partner with Leica to bring out a DRF. But this joint venture didn't happen as we all know. The guy didn't tell exactly the reason for it, but between the lines it was obvious that a) Leica already was on the road to the M8 or B) they thought at that time that the result wouldn't be up to their quality demands. I think it was quite early so maybe B) was the reason. Or perhaps c) they didn't want to be the Cosina for Epson.

Yes it is a mainly a CV product but inspired by Epson. But I think saying it is a Bessa is a little bit like saying the M9 is a M7. Both digitals inherit some things from their analog sisters, but both are more than just derivatives.

I would say the RD1 is a lot closer to the donor camera than the M8 is to the M7. On the Epson the dimensions are unchanged, the shutter is the same, even the "transport mechanism" is a direct descendant from the film parent. On the M 8 the body size and shape are changed and all the internals except the rangefinder. In fact, that is a whole new camera.

• Like 1

Apart from the digital imaging components I'm quite sure it is completely build and (behind the scenes) serviced by Cosina.

Interestingly I heard by someone from Leica that Epson first tried to partner with Leica to bring out a DRF. But this joint venture didn't happen as we all know. The guy didn't tell exactly the reason for it, but between the lines it was obvious that a) Leica already was on the road to the M8 or B) they thought at that time that the result wouldn't be up to their quality demands. I think it was quite early so maybe B) was the reason. Or perhaps c) they didn't want to be the Cosina for Epson.

That is an interesting post. Many people assume Leica was forced into the M8 by the appearance of the RD1. I always doubted that as that would presume a quite short development period, and your post confirms that impression.
  • Like 1

There are three points of adjustment in that arm. The hex excenter, the screw excenter, and the "waist" with the hole in the middle. That hole takes a bending tool, to bend the arm. Now these three play together to get the focus correct. Basically: adjust the hex for infinity, adjust the screw for close, and bend for intermediate.

LOL!

Care to illustrate just how bending an arm in the middle can affect anything in an eccentric fashion to re-adjust mid focus independently of close and infinity then Jaap? Because I'm all ears for this fascinating re-write of the laws of mechanics.

:D