SL2-S overexposure issue

Renata

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, Renata said:

Thank you for responding!

The exposure metering methods I normally use are center-weighted and spot. The whole frame is overexposed, not just the main subject. I tried highlight-weighted metering but it didn't help.

I can avoid overexposure when shooting with the SL2-S if I'm careful, but sometimes I just don't want to be careful. I use all of my digital Leicas (SL, CL, Q2, M10, M-D) the same way and always get perfect or close to perfect exposures in Auto mode, even when I'm being careless. Only the SL2-S overexposes like crazy. 

I have attached a typical SL2-S file taken in Aperture Priority mode and auto ISO: f/8, 1/60 sec, ISO 3,200. I have NO idea why the camera decided that ISO 3200 was appropriate. My old SL knows better and would never give me an unnecessarily high ISO! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have no answers - this looks wrong, if everything else is set to normal or zeroed out. If this is normal daylight then it shouldn't be using ISO 3200.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I have no answers - this looks wrong, if everything else is set to normal or zeroed out. If this is normal daylight then it shouldn't be using ISO 3200.

Thank you. Agreed. My old SL would have nailed the exposure here.

7 hours ago, ravinj said:

So you also tried multi-field and it results in same overexposure? And no matter which metering mode you use, you get exactly the same results? If so, there is certainly a defect. Spot metering is a great way to overexpose most of the frame in high-contrast situations for obvious reasons. Center-weighted does consider the whole image field, but then the weight is given to the subject elements in the center and overexposure in rest of the frame is to be expected in high contrast scenes. Note the camera decides what those "subject elements" are. 

I don't see the lens focal length listed here, but if it was a 50MM lens and assuming the FL was passed to the camera (via the M-L adapter for M lens or if using native SL lens) then the camera made the right calculation here using ~ 1/f shutter speed.

What does the histogram look like in live-view? Is it indicating overexposure?

The sample you posted doesn't look too bad to me. 

None of this is to say that your camera may not have an issue, just trying to eliminate any configuration issue.

Yes, I'm getting the same overexposure with multi-field too.

The lens was the 35mm APO Summicron-SL. 

About the histogram, I don't use it. It's deactivated in all of my cameras (but all of my cameras, except the SL2-S, give me correct exposures regardless).

Thank you so much for responding!

7 hours ago, ravinj said:

Actually, you don't have to. I would suggest (in order):

1. If you haven't already done so, reach out to Leica Store Soho and ask them if you can try out a SL2-S from their demo units to compare it to your SL2-S.

2. If all of the configuration issues are ruled out, reach out to Leica NJ and ask for a loaner while your camera is being serviced.

Thanks again! That's a good idea. 

1 minute ago, Renata said:

Yes, I'm getting the same overexposure with multi-field too.

The lens was the 35mm APO Summicron-SL. 

About the histogram, I don't use it. It's deactivated in all of my cameras (but all of my cameras, except the SL2-S, give me correct exposures regardless).

Thank you so much for responding!

I`ve tried most things too and have simply decided to use highlight protect and if needed dial the exposure back as well .

Never had this problem with any other camera so I`m guessing there is a bug somewhere.

For me auto ISO is useful when shooting fast action in changing light where there is often a combination of dark and white subjects in the scene .

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Michael Markey said:

I`ve tried most things too and have simply decided to use highlight protect and if needed dial the exposure back as well .

Never had this problem with any other camera so I`m guessing there is a bug somewhere.

For me auto ISO is useful when shooting fast action in changing light where there is often a combination of dark and white subjects in the scene .

Don't you hate bugs? At least this one is manageable. Thanks again 👍 👍

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, FrankX said:

I think there is definitely something wrong. Never had such a problem with my SL2. With Multi-Field I get usually almost perfectly exposed photos in situations like the one you showed above. Good luck with your dealer.

Thank you!

On 11/13/2021 at 10:01 AM, Renata said:

Thank you for responding!

The exposure metering methods I normally use are center-weighted and spot. The whole frame is overexposed, not just the main subject. I tried highlight-weighted metering but it didn't help.

I can avoid overexposure when shooting with the SL2-S if I'm careful, but sometimes I just don't want to be careful. I use all of my digital Leicas (SL, CL, Q2, M10, M-D) the same way and always get perfect or close to perfect exposures in Auto mode, even when I'm being careless. Only the SL2-S overexposes like crazy. 

I have attached a typical SL2-S file taken in Aperture Priority mode and auto ISO: f/8, 1/60 sec, ISO 3,200. I have NO idea why the camera decided that ISO 3200 was appropriate. My old SL knows better and would never give me an unnecessarily high ISO! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi Renata, 

I use mostly spot metering and aperture priority and leave ISO on auto. I absolutely agree with you most of the time the whole image was exposed, and as you said, the SL2-s is quite generous with ISO. I therefore use M mode and dial back the ISO. My TL does the same thing and is quite annoying. I bought these cameras because sometimes I don’t want to fiddle with my M10, but it seems other brands of cameras I have are more intelligent when it comes to auto metering.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chun Wah LAM said:

Hi Renata, 

I use mostly spot metering and aperture priority and leave ISO on auto. I absolutely agree with you most of the time the whole image was exposed, and as you said, the SL2-s is quite generous with ISO. I therefore use M mode and dial back the ISO. My TL does the same thing and is quite annoying. I bought these cameras because sometimes I don’t want to fiddle with my M10, but it seems other brands of cameras I have are more intelligent when it comes to auto metering.

Thank you. I will use exposure compensation (-1) from now on. 

12 minutes ago, hossegor said:

i usually set mine on -1 exposure compensation as well on auto iso, which usually does the trick. 

I usually do that too plus highlight weighted .

I`m out all day today and I`m trying just highlight weighted ... see how it goes.

In situations like today ,fast moving ,changing light its impractical to use manual (which is the norm for me in other situations) so I need the auto to , at least , be in the right ball park.

• Like 2

Thank you so much everyone! The SL2-S overexposure issue is manageable (I can use highlight-weighted metering, set exposure compensation to -1, or simply correct the exposure in Lightroom) but I still want Leica to take a good look at my camera. If they can't fix it and say the overexposure is "normal", I will either get used to it or sell the camera. I will need the SL2-S in December so I will be sending it in for repair in January. 

20 hours ago, Renata said:

Thank you so much everyone! The SL2-S overexposure issue is manageable (I can use highlight-weighted metering, set exposure compensation to -1, or simply correct the exposure in Lightroom) but I still want Leica to take a good look at my camera. If they can't fix it and say the overexposure is "normal", I will either get used to it or sell the camera. I will need the SL2-S in December so I will be sending it in for repair in January. 

This from the SL2S group on FaceBook ...." Has anybody had issues with auto ISO not changing its values on the SL2s ."

They seem to think it`s when the camera doesn`t recognise the lens .

Edited by Michael Markey
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Michael Markey said:

This from the SL2S group on FaceBook ...." Has anybody had issues with auto ISO not changing its values on the SL2s ."

They seem to think it`s when the camera doesn`t recognise the lens .

Thanks. I will look for this group on Facebook. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the same issue. Using highlight-weighted metering did not help. I, too, think the problem has something to do with auto ISO. I'll try, once again, setting the auto ISO limit at a lower level (like 6400), but that hasn't always kept the camera from over-exposing in the past.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PMCG said:

I've had the same issue. Using highlight-weighted metering did not help. I, too, think the problem has something to do with auto ISO. I'll try, once again, setting the auto ISO limit at a lower level (like 6400), but that hasn't always kept the camera from over-exposing in the past.

Thanks. Maybe the next firmware will address this issue.