Is Lightroom [ed] 6.14 now working Q4 2021 on the M1 and with Big Sur??

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am considering the 24" iMac: M1 and a new Big Sure. I have Lightroom 6.14 perpetual.

But: Previous user feedback from Q4 2020 was not comforting. But a year has passed, Adobe silently has been updating the software (I expect),

and now they say:

Is Lightroom compatible?

• Lightroom 4.x is compatible with macOS Big Sur (version 11)

Apple Silicon compatibility

• Lightroom 4.1 and later is natively compatibile on Apple devices with M1 processors.

Now look at the words: "Lightroom 4.x is compatible" vs "Lightroom 4.1 and later is natively compatibile"

It sounds like an exclusive statement, just 4.x versus an open statement, 4.1 and later.

1. So is the Adobe site just sloppy or should I not upgrade?

I am not going to subscription. I already have a cloud service somewhere else. . . I do not like forced bundled-in products.

albert

My understanding is that your version of Lightroom 6.14 could run on your M1/Big Sur under the Rosetta 2(Intel based) architecture.  To install Rosetta 2 on your machine requires "Creative Cloud" availability.  

1 hour ago, luetz said:

My understanding is that your version of Lightroom 6.14 could run on your M1/Big Sur under the Rosetta 2(Intel based) architecture.  To install Rosetta 2 on your machine requires "Creative Cloud" availability.  

Try searching "Rosetta 2" install and you should be able to get this app on your M1 machine, without having access to creative cloud.

11 hours ago, Alberti said:

I am not going to subscription. I already have a cloud service somewhere else. . . I do not like forced bundled-in products.

Not sure I understand what you deem ‘forced’. I moved from 6.14 to LR Classic (no cloud storage used, thankfully), and get both LR and Photoshop for 10 bucks a month, less than I used to spend for upgrades. I would never be satisfied with 6.14 now with all the added features, controls and gear updates. Especially  significantly improved local controls. Most importantly, pics that I’ve reprocessed and re-printed are demonstrably better.  

Jeff

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jeff you are 100% correct.

But the bundling I don't like: LR Classic PLUS Photoshop. I don't even have Elements.

They just have the same price-point not to cannibalize sales. Here that same price is € 12/m, so in dollars: $ 14. And for that higher price in Europe they don't even pay taxes for that difference, I can assure you (joking).

[I have worked in pricing myself]

I the end - I'll go with you and say, hey, why didn't this stubborn Calvinist do that earlier? And about affordability: my mobility costs me a zillion more per month 😱 and cost per kilometre I don't even dare to think. Something like the subscription of LR-Classic every day?

Edited by Alberti
  • Thanks 1

• andybarton changed the title to Is Lightroom [ed] 6.14 now working Q4 2021 on the M1 and with Big Sur??
5 hours ago, Alberti said:

I the end - I'll go with you and say, hey, why didn't this stubborn Calvinist do that earlier? And about affordability: my mobility costs me a zillion more per month 😱 and cost per kilometre I don't even dare to think. Something like the subscription of LR-Classic every day?

The amount I spend on this is a nit in the scheme of my overall photography costs, and far less than I used to spend on my darkroom setup and supplies, now with far more convenience and flexibility. Plus LR organizes all my pics.  The bang for the buck is probably bigger than any of my sunk photo/gear expenses. If Adobe ever forces cloud storage, I might bail, but until then it’s the best game in town for me, and an easy decision. The subscription is actually convenient… automatically deducted from account…no more messing with upgrades, and always up to date (just beware of compatibility with ever changing O/S).

Jeff

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Alberti said:

But a year has passed, Adobe silently has been updating the software (I expect),

Adobe announces all of its upgrades, which occur monthly.  Sites like Adobe.com and dpreview.com cover the updates.  The great part about Adobe is that I never get endless emails about their products.  Contrast that with Topaz.  I made the mistake of buying Topaz AI Sharpen.  The plug-in is great, but I got inundated with emails from Topaz to the extent that I had to unsubscribe from them.  Adobe does not treat your purchases from them as a marketing opportunity.

• Like 2

I'm not sure LR 6.14 will install and run even using the Intel translation software on M1 Macs.  

Apple has been very consistent in that it will not allow 32bit applications to run on the latest versions of it's OS due to security concerns.  As it runs in the background it must communicate with the main OS for input, output etc and if Apple allowed it to run 32bit apps then unless it is significantly sandboxed it would be such a risk. I would imagine that the software that allows you to run Intel based software would be the same and is probably just a cut down set of the current full Intel version and does not need to run 32bit apps.

LR 6.14 will not install as the installer is a 32bit app even though LR itself is a full 64bit program which is why it continues to work if you follow an upgrade route but is doomed for new computers.  LR 5 uses both a 64bit installer and program so does install and run.  I'm not sure if LR4 and it's installer is 64 bit, if it is that might be why Adobe say it is compatible and will install and run.

You can get a free Abobe Account, which might be worth it as you could then ask them directly or use the 'community' forums to clarify the position, either way if I were you I would get it confirmed before you buy a new Mac just in case.  Alternatively  you could look at abandoning LR altogether and move to a none subscription app like Exposure X7 (I use both) which is very Lightroom like and also has a native version for Apple Silicon Macs.

Edited by Bobitybob

On 10/16/2021 at 3:02 PM, zeitz said:

Adobe announces all of its upgrades, which occur monthly.  Sites like Adobe.com and dpreview.com cover the updates.  The great part about Adobe is that I never get endless emails about their products.  Contrast that with Topaz.  I made the mistake of buying Topaz AI Sharpen.  The plug-in is great, but I got inundated with emails from Topaz to the extent that I had to unsubscribe from them.  Adobe does not treat your purchases from them as a marketing opportunity.

As long as you can unsubscribe - or use your junk folder, which I prefer, what is the problem?

27 minutes ago, jaapv said:

what is the problem

When I buy something, I don't want my contact information used as a marketing opportunity by the company that already has me as a customer.   Many companies ask if you want marketing information when you give your contact info and you can opt out easily.  Not so Topaz.

B&H is even worse.  I BOUGHT a Rotatrim paper cutter from them, and I'm now getting inundated with B&H ads for paper cutters.  These are ads that appear on the side of sites I visit and I can't unsubscribe from the ads.   

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled the trigger and converted to Monterey.
Yes, Lightroom 6.14 is compatible. It runs and runs good.
In fact, the presentation of images on screen improved from Catalina. Probably Monterey handles the screen in a better way. Higher acutance.

Just one trick: I had seen a white bar in the develop mode. It blocks the top part of the screen. It is because a background exists for the overlay of the informative texts (on the image and camera details). Previously it was transparent, now opaque white. To turn it off, press "I", one or two times (there are three information panels, you move through them).

(I have a LR subscription but like to be able to use 6.14 too)

Edited by Alberti