Ipad pro with Lr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, Lichozaur said:

I am using iPad Pro (2018 version) almost exclusively with Q2 files and it generally is quite smooth, it only sometimes stutters, especially when copy/pasting settings between pictures. I am sure that newer versions of the iPad would do even better.

I have the 2018 too

I can live with it when it stutters sometimes 

It depends on what you do with Q2 files. 

With LR desktop, I often import 100+ photos a time.  Doing that to my 2020 iPad Pro, it would freeze up and sometimes just crash.  That's expected with IOS file system and RAM.  

On the other hand, if I am editing uploaded DNG files (stored in CC) using LR on iPad, performance is great, with the added benefit to use Apple pencil.  

I often process my Q2 images on my iPad Pro 2020, it works very smoothly despite the large files. Works faster than on my Macbook Pro, but this one is also from 2016 and I'm going to update. I often have an iPad with me, so it's ideal for direct import and processing.

Edited by daan

On 5/29/2021 at 12:00 AM, vedivv said:

IOS file system

I prefer to call it a "cell phone file system".

On 5/29/2021 at 12:00 AM, vedivv said:

added benefit to use Apple pencil

You are implying that MacBooks and desktop Macs would benefit touch screens and pencils.  You know this is heresy.  Tim Cook forbids touch screens and pencils on macOS devices.

• 5 weeks later...

My 2018 iPad Pro was pretty responsive with M10 and SL2-S DNGs in LR but rendering felt a bit slow. Where the 2018 iPad Pro struggled was in 100 MP DNGs generated by the SL2-S in multi-shot mode.

The 2021 M1 iPad Pro (16GB RAM) is much more responsive and exporting images is about 30-50% faster than the 2018 iPad Pro with A12X processor (6 GB RAM?). My understanding though is that current iPadOS apps running in on iPadOS 14 and earlier are limited to 5 GB of RAM utilization but going forward in iPadOS 15, the 5GB RAM utilization limit will be bumped up so I expect LR for iPadOS will become even more responsive when working with large files.

I have a 2021 M1 iPad Pro 16gb 11" and find that working with files saved to the device itself, off my ssd, or direct off an SD card to be quite responsive even with large files. Certainly faster than any laptop or desktop I have used. I understand some may have impressive rigs that may be faster but that's just my experience.

I've purchased and downloaded multiple apps so that I didn't have to go on a subscription plan. But lightroom really offers almost everything I want in one package whereas now my workflow involves Affinity Photo, Pixelmator Photo, Snapseed, and occasionally Darkroom and Focos.

The key reasons I am considering paying for Lightroom are the ability to edit Fuji compressed RAW files from my X100V which the iPad itself doesn't do and the Super Resolution feature.

Does iPadOS Lightroom have the Super Resolution feature? And compared to the desktop version, what percentage functionality would you say the iPad version has?

2 hours ago, Harvard Kiwi said:

M1 iPad Pro 16gb

The M1 chip set along with the increase from 6 gb to 16 gb must be making a huge difference.

2 hours ago, Harvard Kiwi said:

Certainly faster than any laptop or desktop I have used.

What laptops / desktops are you referring to?  I am currently using a high end MacMini (late 2018) with 32 gb of RAM and an external AMD WX8200 GPU.  I find the setup to be more than adequately fast.  I think it would be helpful to compare an M1 iPad Pro to an M1 iMac or MacMini for "apples-to-apples" speed comparisons.

I believe the M1 architecture is making it faster at the moment but I'm also unsure as to whether my iPad is capable of utilising the full 16gb RAM. Applications seem to be capped in RAM use but it may be better utilised with multi-tasking. I'm just not sure the software allows us to fully utilise the hardware at this stage. 

I have a 9th gen i9 32GB PC so the specs are ok. I also have an 8th gen i7 16GB laptop which is OK but it has an integrated graphics card. I'm  not sure whether or not my iPad is actually faster, but it certainly does feel so. I guess there is a distinction between speed and power. I'm sure there are people out there that can either build or buy something that would be a lot faster but the iPad Pro is certainly fast enough.

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2021 at 11:07 PM, Ronaldraw said:

I'm struggling with my work flow I try to move the photos to a map on my IPad but it tools to long. 

Maybe I should to start with 20 photos 

I will check the photos before I add them in Lr. 

Or is there a better way? 

Not sure what you mean by moving the photos to a map.

I recently imported a few thousand images, about 60GB, to my M1 iPad Pro. It was much faster then I have previous experienced on an Intel based macbooks pro. The preview rendering was reasonably quick and the thing that took the longest was syncing everything to the cloud.

On 7/9/2021 at 1:51 PM, zeitz said:

I believe 5gb is the limit for an app running on iPadOS.

This is the limit for iPadOS 14. Beta versions of iPadOS 15, which is due in the fall, already allows developers take advantage of more RAM and exceed the current 5GB/app limit.

Edited by beewee