Q2M producing strange files

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just got my Q2M a couple of days ago and have been seeing some odd files. I download my DNG files from the SD card info a folder on my hard drive. In addition to the DNGs, there are always some additional files that I can't even find a program on my computer to open. Here's what they are:

INDEX.BDM

MOVIEOBJ.BDM

THUMB.TDT

THUMB.TID

They don't cause any problems and I've just kept deleting them, but does anyone have any idea what they are? I'm using a PC, Windows 10 OS.

Thanks in advance. I know there are people here who are much more tech savvy than I am.

I have seem them in my Q2M too - Other makers have too their own system files, and camera writes them to memory card that is newly inserted .

I doubt that there is anything to worry about, and if you format/erase the card, they will return.

3 minutes ago, nwphil said:

I have seem them in my Q2M too - Other makers have too their own system files, and camera writes them to memory card that is newly inserted .

I doubt that there is anything to worry about, and if you format/erase the card, they will return.

Thanks. Yes, I always format as soon as I put the card back in camera and you are correct they always return. Mostly, I'm just curious what they are and what purpose they serve, if any.

3 hours ago, fotografr said:

I just got my Q2M a couple of days ago and have been seeing some odd files. I download my DNG files from the SD card info a folder on my hard drive. In addition to the DNGs, there are always some additional files that I can't even find a program on my computer to open. Here's what they are:

INDEX.BDM

MOVIEOBJ.BDM

THUMB.TDT

THUMB.TID

tdt files represent thumbnails [very small images] generated for actual video clips

BDM files are used by video recordings are disc information files that are created by the camera. The files contain information about the contents of the recordings

TID is a thumbnail image index

17 minutes ago, frame-it said:

tdt files represent thumbnails [very small images] generated for actual video clips

BDM files are used by video recordings are disc information files that are created by the camera. The files contain information about the contents of the recordings

TID is a thumbnail image index

That's partly why I was puzzled. I've never even used the video function in the camera.

14 minutes ago, fotografr said:

Online resources indicate that these files are created by Sony and Panasonic camcorders. Does this suggest that Panasonic may have written the video software in the Q2, or that perhaps they built the entire electronic platform for Leica?

probably