Used Leica SL (typ601) dilemma

erniethemilk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve been shooting with my M10-P and a couple of small primes (35mm/50mm) for a while now and to be honest the image quality from the files has ruined me! :)

I also shoot with a Fuji X-H1 & 16-55mm for more considered woodland/landscape photography but am really not keen on the RAW files the Fuji produces, particularly compared to the M10-P. 

My issue is the M10-P is not best suited to landscape/woodland photography - it can be done but it’s a lot more faffing about in real terms. 

I have been thinking about swapping out the X-H1 and have started to look at used SL’s as opposed to Z6 Nikon’s and the like. 

Problem is my budget would never run to the SL lenses and simply using my 35 & 50mm Summicrons wouldn’t particularly work. I’ve found zoom lenses particularly appealing for what I shoot. 

I’m wondering if I did want to look at a used SL more seriously would the Sigma or Panasonic lenses work nicely or are there other options to consider. 

Would the SL files offer ‘Leica M10 like’ colours and feel, and finally would it be a sensible option to consider a used SL given their age (subjective of course). 

Edited by erniethemilk

13 minutes ago, erniethemilk said:

My issue is the M10-P is not best suited to landscape/woodland photography - it can be done but it’s a lot more faffing about in real terms. 

Really? Leica Rangefinders work well for me for both. Not sure what the 'faffing about in real terms' refers to. What advantages do you see an SL providing if it produced 'Leica M10 like' colours and feel?

1 minute ago, pgk said:

Really? Leica Rangefinders work well for me for both. Not sure what the 'faffing about in real terms' refers to. What advantages do you see an SL providing if it produced 'Leica M10 like' colours and feel?

Thanks for your reply.  I do like to do long exposure photography and the M is not conducive to long exposure photography easily (at least for this photographer). 

I also use a square filter system on the X-H1 which again is not ideal for use on the M10-P. 

I am not looking to replace the M10-P btw. :)

1 hour ago, erniethemilk said:

I’m wondering if I did want to look at a used SL more seriously would the Sigma or Panasonic lenses work nicely or are there other options to consider

I am very happy with my SL (601) and Sigma 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4, and 45/2.8 — and a few M lenses.  Amazing image quality from 24mp!

• Like 4

The original SL is great. I’m still shooting it with M lenses and SL lenses.The IQ is fantastic with all my lenses. The age of the camera is irrelevant to me if it works the way I want it to.

My other Leica is an MP (240). The SL results are better. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, erniethemilk said:

I’ve been shooting with my M10-P and a couple of small primes (35mm/50mm) for a while now and to be honest the image quality from the files has ruined me! :)

I also shoot with a Fuji X-H1 & 16-55mm for more considered woodland/landscape photography but am really not keen on the RAW files the Fuji produces, particularly compared to the M10-P. 

I have been thinking about swapping out the X-H1 and have started to look at used SL’s as opposed to Z6 Nikon’s and the like. 

Problem is my budget would never run to the SL lenses and simply using my 35 & 50mm Summicrons wouldn’t particularly work. I’ve found zoom lenses particularly appealing for what I shoot. 

I’m wondering if I did want to look at a used SL more seriously would the Sigma or Panasonic lenses work nicely or are there other options to consider. 

Would the SL files offer ‘Leica M10 like’ colours and feel, and finally would it be a sensible option to consider a used SL given their age (subjective of course). 

I haven't tried any of the Panasonic lenses, however I have purchased several Sigma L mount lenses & they are all excellent -Sigma 45mm f2.8,  65mm f2,  85mm f1.4, 135mm f1.8,  14-24mm f2.8 & 100-400mm f5.6/6.3. I've used them on the SL 601 as well as the SL2, handling & IQ are superb.  The 45mm f2.8,  65mm f2  & 85mm f1.8 have an aperture ring, which I really love.

More importantly, you don't have to sell a kidney to be able to afford these lenses.

• Like 2