Leica Flash guns

Tony, welcome to the forum.

When the Digilux 2 was my main digital camera, I used it extensively with studio flash by simply fitting a trigger to the camera and had two movable flash units on stands. Before I used remote sync, I used conventional cords for synchronizing flash. I worked with a flash meter. Occasionally I used a small Leica flash SF 24D, which Leica recommended, mainly as a fill light. For workshop photography, I preferred to use ambient lighting, using a WhiBal or special grey card for setting white balance. That gave me greater flexibility, but worked best with inanimate subjects. I have no experience with later Leica flashguns, preferring to use ambient lighting wherever possible.

I should mention how useful I found the in-built pop-up flash, especially in bounce mode. It will be suitable for large areas, but is ideal in small domestic rooms. See my website section on the Digilux 2 and find a picture 'Child photography'. That has lovely modelling provided by bouncing the camera flash on an adjacent wall.

Enjoy your Digilux 2. It is old, relatively, but still very good if you work within its limitations. The lens was unsurpassed among its competitors.

• Like 1