Viewfinder Question (Compared to MP/M-A)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As I understand it, the M10 viewfinder magnification is 0.73x, compared to 0.72 for the film bodies. I was expecting it to be essentially the same in use, but actually, far from it - I can see quite a bit more around the (for example) 50mm framelines on my film bodies, compared to my M10-D. I do wear glasses, but that shouldn't make any difference in a like for like comparison of course. Does anybody know why this might be, and/or have noticed the same thing? It really is quite a significant difference, relatively speaking - I can see the 35mm lines quite comfortably with my MP and M-A, but have to move my eye around quite a bit more to see the lines with the M10.

What differences in field of view, if any, are there if you press your eye, without glasses, close to each VF?  This might better account for differences in VF eye relief (increased with M10 along with increases in magnification and VF diameter) and any issues relating to your frame thickness and flexibility, even though that’s not your normal practice.

Jeff

I can’t tell any difference when I do that really, although that might partly be because I can’t see much without my glasses! I know the M10 is supposed to have “30% better” eye relief than the previous model, which is partly why I’m surprised by the extra visibility in my film Ms. The additional 0.01 in magnification will obviously nullify the improved eye relief a bit, but you wouldn’t think this much!

I have the same experience, but don't know the exact reason. It might be that the thicker body and practically same magnification combined with "eye relief improvement" doesn't produce the same result when using glasses.