Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical II on Monochrom

SrMi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Voigtlander 12mm vII has issues with digital color cameras. How is it for Monochrom?
I've been reading that Clyde Butcher, because of health reasons, moved to a smaller system: Leica M10-M and Voigtlander 12mm. He also uses an orange filter. I assume he uses vII as the vIII does not allow screw-in filters.

I found the corners on both the CV 10 and 12 smeared too much (on monochrom also) but was fine if I cropped them square (returned both). In contrast, the CV 15 ver 3 has been great. I also found the Laowa 12 (Nikon mount adapted to M) to be much better than the CV 12 (L12 is much larger especially with the available filter adapter). I certainly won't argue with Clyde though! I am sure his pics with a plastic Diana/Holga would be great!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, rpittal said:

I found the corners on both the CV 10 and 12 smeared too much (on monochrom also) but was fine if I cropped them square (returned both). In contrast, the CV 15 ver 3 has been great. I also found the Laowa 12 (Nikon mount adapted to M) to be much better than the CV 12 (L12 is much larger especially with the available filter adapter). I certainly won't argue with Clyde though! I am sure his pics with a plastic Diana/Holga would be great!

Thanks. I am not saying Clyde uses vII, I just speculated based on the filter usage. His large prints require sharpness, therefore I do not believe that he used vII but found a solution for filter with viii.

I have used the 12 a bit with the M10 M and saw no smearing
you can see a few images poster on the forum in a larger file than this.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 9/17/2020 at 8:35 PM, LeicaS2 said:

I have used the 12 a bit with the M10 M and saw no smearing
you can see a few images poster on the forum in a larger file than this.

<snip>

Thanks. Was this with vII or vIII of the lens?

III

see photo

I have got the vII and M246, smearing is not bad at f/11, although resolution is clearly lower than in the center. The attached is a full image with no correction in Lightroom other than minor exposure/contrast tweaking. Heavily compressed and resampled to load on the forum but the difference between center and corner is still clearly visible.

Note that I had to walk very close to that wall to fill the frame, I was perhaps 1,5m away from it. Corner smearing could theoretically be worse at infinity (lens closer to filter stack), but I have not noticed any difference in practice.

Edited by fiatlux