Time to say hello....

boojum

Advertisement (gone after registration)

New here.  Have used Leica a bit in the distant past.  Leica III f in 1957 and a Leica CL in 1974.  Both times I got good results which led me to believe the Leica cameras attract good foto-mojo.  In order to test this effect I am prowling eBay for an M8.2.  The CCD sensor interests me for how i renders color.  I have a SONY A7M II with the nice Sony/Zeiss 1.8 55mm and the Sony 24 - 240mm zoom.  I shoot now and again with the tiny Pentax Q-S1 with the 50mm equivalent prime and the short zoom and the long zoom.  I have gotten some good pics with it.  It punches well above its weight and fits in a cardigan pocket with room to spare  I've a couple of 2000 Sony Cybershots, good cameras, an old Pentax K1000 and ME super, an Olympus XA3 and somewhere in the house an old Canon Demi.  I started a long time ago with a Voigtländer Vito II.  But I do not yet have a Leica.

I am thinking of putting the 35mm Voigtländer Nokton 1.4 II on the M8.2  It seems the best bang for the buck.  I'd like to go Leica all the way but I cannot get much money for the dog and have no children to sell.

I am a retired guy and a hack photographer.  On the blind hog finding a root principle I do get a good shot now and again.  And now I'm going to be doing it with a Leica.  If anyone has any advice for me other than "Abandon all hope ye who enter here" please pass it on.  I am still able and willing to learn.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Regretfully no one warned me off.  I have an M8.2 on its way from Hong Kong to coastal Oregon, USA.  I will pick up a new Voigtänder Nokton 1.4 II from trusty old B&H.  These no-goods seem to always have what I am looking for.  Except I cannot find an adapter to attach Sony e-mount lenses to the M8.2.  Any ideas?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

Sony lenses, if I am not mistaken, will not work on an M body. I think the flange to sensor distance won’t permit it.

That would explain to total absence of adapters.  Thank you.  Have a bunch of brisket for me.  Wish I could join you for that plate of brisket, and some sausage.  ;o)

• Like 1

I do not mind gushing about this at all.  The M8.2 has landed in Oakland and the Voigt Nokton 35mm 1.4 MC II will be here on Thursday.  The IR filter on Friday.  I am psyched.

I have been paging through the photo thread and love how colors are resolved.  And I have to up my game before I can post.  And I have a PK to LM adapter coming so that I can hang my old Pentax SMC 50mm 1.4 off the M8.2 for the price of the adapter.  I am interested in how this lens works on the M8.2.  Been inside because of the pandemic but will be out driving around when the gear is all here.  Being in coastal NW Oregon means that the smoke has kept us in a dense smog.  Oh, well, I will see how the M8.2 sees it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, boojum said:

And I have a PK to LM adapter coming so that I can hang my old Pentax SMC 50mm 1.4 off the M8.2 for the price of the adapter.

I hope you're aware that if your Pentax lens is not rangefinder-coupled then you'll only be able to zone focus using the markings on the lens.

Pete. 

1 hour ago, farnz said:

I hope you're aware that if your Pentax lens is not rangefinder-coupled then you'll only be able to zone focus using the markings on the lens.

Pete. 

Yo!  Back to the old Vito II days of 1954!  Thanks for warning me.  I will be able to see how a 50mm works and this particular lens is pretty good.  And for just the price of the adapter so that is a pretty cheap outing.  The camera is in customs in Oakland.  There is no duty of gear from HK.  I think, hope, this is just some bureacratic hoo-ha.

1 hour ago, rramesh said:

Make sure you get the VM series lenses from Voigtlander. These are the ones meant for Leica M cameras. Don't get the SL, E or MFT lines, which are not.

I got the Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4 II MC Lens which from all I have read works on the M series.  If not I can send it back.  Thanks you for making me aware of this problem.  I a, ;ooking forward to the experience.

You folks have all been so kind and helpful.  I sure appreciate that.

On 9/16/2020 at 5:54 PM, rramesh said:

Make sure you get the VM series lenses from Voigtlander. These are the ones meant for Leica M cameras. Don't get the SL, E or MFT lines, which are not.

x

Edited by boojum
double post

2 hours ago, rpsawin said:

Boojum,

I'm unfamiliar with this set up but this hopefully will help:  https://cameraquest.com/adaptnew.htm

Thanks for the link.  The Pentax K mount is now mated to a Fotodiox  PK to LM.  I do not know if it will work until I get the camera from customs.  :o(  If this adapter does not work I will try and get one from Rayqual.  I sure appreciate all the help you guys are offering me.  The help and support along with that M8.2 are going to make me one happy camper.  I am bowled over by the images in the thread on the M8/M8.2 images in this forum.  Maybe it is a placebo effect but I swear that the Kodak CCD sensor delivers wonderful images with great color.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rpsawin said:

Boojum,

I have an M8 too and it's a wonderful camera. While the color images are good try doing a b&w conversion. They have a unique look...very nice

All the best.

I started all this foolishness around 1954 with a Voigtlaender Vito II.  I bought the 100 or 200 foot rolls of Pan-X, later Tri-X, and developed them and printed them off the enlarger.  Eight hours in a darkroom can pass in the blink of an eye.  I understand the impact of a good B&W.  And I can always do the conversions in any of the four packages (LR, PS, GIMP, and Luminar).  I dread photo editing software and usually do not use it.  But I suppose I may have to.  I am really psyched about the M8.2.  The sensor is the magic. This is all a tasty adventure which is unfolding.

The adapter for the Pentax lens cannot deliver a focusing function so it will be zone focusing.  I can do that.  I will have to shop for another lens, maybe a 24mm down the road. 

Edited by boojum
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gotium said:

You didn't give us enough time!

Yeah, right.  Blame the victim, blame the victim.   LOL 

Still waiting for this M8.2 to clear customs.  At least I am in touch with FedEx and they assure me that now everything is OK.  I will not believe it until I have that puppy in my hands.  The spare "China copy" batteries (2) arrived.  The Voigtländer Nokton 35mm f1.4 MC II is patiently waiting for its mate which is a lot more than I can say.  I have been through the thread of M8/M8.2 pics and love the color and detail.  I have the SONY A7M II with the wonderful Sony/Zeiss 55mm 1.8 and it makes great photos.  But it does not have the charm and mystery of that Kodak CCD in the M8/M8.2's.  Another arrow in the quiver.  And I get to play with a Leica.  it's all good.  And I really appreciate the collegiality of this board.  It is great/es ist ganz schön.

There is a star in the East!  I just got notification from FedEx that the M8.2, my M8.2, has cleared customs and will be on my doorstep NLT 12:00PM tomorrow.  I am psyched, really psyched.  I will try and restrain myself on posting images.  You know I will burn up the three batteries in quick succession.  I will be playing with it and then off to Advance Camera in PDX (Portland, OR) for inspection and CLA if needed.

Now, the scuttlebutt is that only Leica can work on the M8/M8.2.  I've followed the threads on this.  OTOH Advance says they are aware of the issues and can work on the camera.  I have written Leica for a definitive statement and they are the most equivocal people I have known short of politicians and condo salesmen.  I am back and forth with a fellow in Leica NJ and he says that a camera shop "would" send Leica the camera for work but has not said that they "must" send the camera for work.  To be honest it seems criminal to sell an item with no option for repair and maintenance than the original seller. And I really want to get a definitive statement out of the Übermenschen at Leica.  I'm German (by descent), too, so this is a worthy challenge. We are not called Deutscherdicke (thick-headed German) without reason. 

The important thing is that tomorrow I will be playing with my precious, new (to me) M8.2.  And I want to thank all you folks again for the wonderful help and encouragement you have shown me along the way.  It is the sauce that makes the meal have more savor.

• Like 1

Since you're new to the M8.2 you might not know that it doesn't like half-depleted batteries and can lock up and do other unusual things.

As a rule of thumb as soon as I notice that battery charge has used the first of its three bars I change out the battery for a freshly charged one.  It might seem a little extreme but it's served me very well and stopped a range of odd behaviours.  (Others' mileage might vary.)

Good luck and I hope your M8.2 is all you'd hoped it would be.

Pete.

29 minutes ago, farnz said:

Since you're new to the M8.2 you might not know that it doesn't like half-depleted batteries and can lock up and do other unusual things.

As a rule of thumb as soon as I notice that battery charge has used the first of its three bars I change out the battery for a freshly charged one.  It might seem a little extreme but it's served me very well and stopped a range of odd behaviours.  (Others' mileage might vary.)

Pete.

Pete, thanks for that heads-up.  I will use it.  I am so thrilled about this camera that just taking custody of it is almost enough.  That I will be able to take pictures with it is stellar.  Granted, I may not want to share them but they will still make me very, very happy.  And I will strive to up my game enough to post in the thread of M8/M8.2 photos.

16 hours ago, farnz said:

Pete.

What's the odd behavior? I've been using a couple of M8.2 bodies for the last two years that I purchased used, so I'm not really familiar with the issues that may have been discussed when this camera was still current. So far I've had no problems or issues. I do find that I seldom get more than 200 frames on a fully charged Leica battery (some brand new, others used and unknown). When the battery is fully drained the camera just stops until I replace it with a fresh one. I haven't experienced any odd behavior that I'm aware of.