M7.2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just had the electronics in my M7 replaced by Lecia NJ. I wouldn't worry about buying an M7 in that regard until we hear that Leica can no longer repair. The usual private US repair shops told me it needed to go to Leica because of the electronics though. So it is true that at some point repair will get hard, but for now, I like the aperture priority and it's not much different in feel from my M10 and MP other than the metering/ISO changes.

James

• Like 2

19 hours ago, tgray said:

Just had my M7 repairs last year. Not too expensive either. Leica still has the parts. I’d get an M7 if you want one. 

The last time I asked, the Leica rep told me they would guarantee parts for 10 years after manufacture. They're as robust as anything else, and much newer than the M6s that the people worried about repairs seem to prefer...

On 8/11/2020 at 3:23 PM, AndyC said:

Last time I checked, you could buy an M10 brand new with a warranty and full parts and service support. 
Not sure that’s the case for an M7.

You can also insure a camera against theft, but not against a breakdown or failure that renders is it a £2000 paperweight. 

And what about an M240 then. Still a far more expensive paper weight than an M7. This is my point exactly though,  even a new M10 can break down. I'm sure it's happened somewhere to someone. At that point it's an even more expensive paperweight. Yes it can be fixed, as can an M7.  Does that mean you shouldn't buy one because they have a battery and are electronic? Of course not.  You can still have an M7 serviced too by the way. 

5 minutes ago, Mark T said:

The last time I asked, the Leica rep told me they would guarantee parts for 10 years after manufacture.

Well we know from other examples, most recently the M9 sensors, that is not always the case!

Parts availability is definitely something to consider if buying a more expensive used camera (that you intend to keep using).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/14/2020 at 12:54 PM, Mark T said:

The last time I asked, the Leica rep told me they would guarantee parts for 10 years after manufacture. 

They told me the M8 would be upgradable forever, they failed to mention that this would involve buying the new model every few years.

LEICA M8: An investment in the future

With the introduction of a perpetual upgrade program, every LEICA M8 will forever be a state-of-the-art digital camera. Today’s and tomorrow’s users will always be able to incorporate the latest refinements and developments in handling ease and technology. It is our aim to secure your investment in the LEICA M8 for the future. “While other digital cameras quickly become outdated and are replaced by newer models, our new concept extends the value retention and resistance to obsolescence embodied in the Leica ethos. Over time, we will gradually offer new product features and developments as upgrade options,” declares Steven K. Lee, CEO of Leica Camera AG. “Our customers can therefore still invest in the photographic tools they need without worrying that they will miss out on improvements and technological developments along the way.......... We would feel very honored if you would be amongst the first to participate in our new program for the lifelong value retention of your M8.

Yours Sincerely,
The Leica internet team

My bold, this was on the announcement of the first, and it proved only, upgrades.

22 minutes ago, chris_livsey said:

They told me the M8 would be upgradable forever, they failed to mention that this would involve buying the new model every few years.

With the introduction of a perpetual upgrade program, every LEICA M8 will forever be a state-of-the-art digital camera. Today’s and tomorrow’s users will always be able to incorporate the latest refinements and developments in handling ease and technology. It is our aim to secure your investment in the LEICA M8 for the future. “While other digital cameras quickly become outdated and are replaced by newer models, our new concept extends the value retention and resistance to obsolescence embodied in the Leica ethos. Over time, we will gradually offer new product features and developments as upgrade options,” declares Steven K. Lee, CEO of Leica Camera AG. “Our customers can therefore still invest in the photographic tools they need without worrying that they will miss out on improvements and technological developments along the way.......... We would feel very honored if you would be amongst the first to participate in our new program for the lifelong value retention of your M8.

Yours Sincerely,
The Leica internet team

My bold, this was on the announcement of the first, and it proved only, upgrades.

That was shortly before Steven K. Lee was sacked for making statements about an update to full frame.

17 hours ago, chris_livsey said:

Yours Sincerely,
The Leica internet team

So you're saying that all the Ms have the same lack of serviceability regardless of model then?

On 8/9/2020 at 11:18 PM, TomB_tx said:

The Zeiss Ikon ZM was a good alternative to the M7, with a better VF than any M. Of course, it didn’t last in production long, and I’m sure repair is even more of a problem. Yet mine keeps on ticking...

Mine bricked itself for no reason at all, which is rather disturbing. We'll see what Camera Clinic has to say about it when lockdown is over.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 6:15 PM, 250swb said:

I've only ever had good experience buying from Japan as well. They use the grading system properly, 'minty' or 'mint' tends not to be used unless it's true.

I've only ever had excellent product out of Japan also, but the Customs duties and courier's clearance charges have always been applied.  That means I've paid top book and will not recover the majority of my costs on resale. 

The M7 has been my favourite user Leica, although it's not the best for stroking.  Unfortunately, I had to sell all my Leica film kit because my Leica S 006 took nearly 3 years to find a buyer.  Looking for a nice M7 again.