M7.2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Morning all,

It’s a while since I’ve owned a Leica, although in the past I’ve had an M6 and an M8.

My dream is to get rid of my digital SLR and my Nikon FM3a and have a pair of Leica M bodies, digital for colour and film for B & W, with two or three lenses shared between the two. 

My problem is I usually shoot in aperture priority and don’t really want to gamble on the electronics of a secondhand M7.

I know the chances of it actually happening are incredibly tiny, but if Leica ever launched an aperture priority film M, an M7.2, what features would you like to see?

Andy

I have an M7 and love it. Bought mine, late production mint 2nd hand 4-5 years ago, never worried about electronics failure and never had one.  I often use Aperture priority as a faster way of setting shutter speed than manual where light conditions are changing and I can't just keep manual settings.   I scan the scene through the VF to assess the light and meter readings, once the shutter speed is where I want it half depress the shutter button to lock it in, recompose and shoot. I use Auto often enough that an M-P or M-A has not interested me. Often consider an older film M but I don't want one where the shutter speed dial moves in the opposite direction - too confusing for my simple brain.

M7.2. not much: 

1. Battery compartment: slightly easier to access and close the battery cap 
2. Light meter display: option of also showing the shutter speed when in manual mode so I don't have to take my eye from the VF
3. 1:2000-4000 sec max shutterspeed 
4. Slightly better defined 75mm framelines (but this is just the way it is with all M cameras)

Not much else as it's a more-or-less perfect camera - I should get another one 🙄

Just get one through a good dealer so at least you'll have peace of mind till the store warranty expires.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 4

I sold my M7 to slim down my film Ms gear (kept M6TTL, M4, M3) as I went digital with the M (240). I regret selling it as it is in my view a good compromise between the traditional M system with a limited but useful automation. I was faster and got more consistent exposure in fast situations with the M7 than with other film Ms.

If Leica made a new batch of M7s maybe I’d go for it :) 

• Like 2

I bought mine, second hand, in 2008. It developed a slight fault with the shutter dial (it was still fully usable) so got it repaired by Leica who fitted all the updates. It has never given the slightest trouble since and is probably my most used film camera. Pairs up nicely with my M10-D and, occasionally, my IIIg. 

I bought mine through the a la carte program a few years ago (0.58x viewfinder, black chrome, no logo). Re M7.2: I would like some of the additional features of the Hexar RF: shutter speeds up to 1/4000s, auto film loading, auto film advance.

I’d really like one - I liked the build quality, the weight, the viewfinder, everything about the M6, but I really do prefer aperture priority. 
I don’t think I could bring myself to spend £2500 or more on a camera that might die and be unrepairable at any moment. 
For me, not much more than new electronics so it can still be repaired for the next couple of decades, although a shutter that works at all speeds with it without batteries like the FM3a would be great. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 minutes ago, AndyC said:

I don’t think I could bring myself to spend £2500 or more on a camera that might die and be unrepairable at any moment. 

So many people get almost paranoid about such things and so miss out on a really great camera.

• Thanks 4

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. 

@Matlock - I know that answer is “just buy an M7”, but I’ve lost more than I could really afford on a car this year (Discovery 4, broken crankshaft, £10,000 to repair), so I don’t want to get my fingers burnt again. 

I’d love the Zeiss, always fancied one, but rarer than rocking horse poo in the UK, unless someone can tell me where to look. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AndyC said:

@Matlock - I know that answer is “just buy an M7”, but I’ve lost more than I could really afford on a car this year (Discovery 4, broken crankshaft, £10,000 to repair), so I don’t want to get my fingers burnt again. 

I’d love the Zeiss, always fancied one, but rarer than rocking horse poo in the UK, unless someone can tell me where to look. 

I wasn't advocating "just getting an M7", just pointing out that the problems are probably overplayed. Car repair costs have gone through the roof as my daughter has found out.

The Zeiss has always fascinated me but only seem to be available from Japan. I do have a Konica Hexar RF with a good range of lenses including the M Hexanon Dual 21-35 f3.4-4.0, quite a combination.

15 hours ago, AndyC said:

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. 

There are around eleven on sale on eBay at the moment, and while most are in Japan I don't think there is anything to suggest that their eBay camera dealers are any less honest than in the UK. One of the eleven on sale is in Germany, so no taxes to pay.

2 hours ago, 250swb said:

There are around eleven on sale on eBay at the moment, and while most are in Japan I don't think there is anything to suggest that their eBay camera dealers are any less honest than in the UK. One of the eleven on sale is in Germany, so no taxes to pay.

I have bought from Japan and, apart from the sometimes long delay in the item arriving, have no complaints.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matlock said:

I have bought from Japan and, apart from the sometimes long delay in the item arriving, have no complaints.

Agreed - I've has a lot of good experience with Japanese vendors.

One has to be careful as with buying anywhere else - everything is"mint' or  "minty"

• Like 2

I have owned a M7, and currently own a FM3a, and lenses and lack of a rangefinder aside, the Nikon is a better thought out camera. There are lots of small details which always make me wonder why didn’t Leica do that? 

Different shooting experience of course. 

• Like 2

On 8/9/2020 at 7:16 PM, Matlock said:

So many people get almost paranoid about such things and so miss out on a really great camera.

So true... ANY camera might die and stop working at ANY time for more reasons that could be imagined. Truth be told you probably have more chance of the camera being stolen than breaking down. Also, I never heard anyone saying "well the M10 is a great camera but y'know it's got an electronic shutter and is battery dependent, so I'm not going to risk it". It's absurd! Anyway, I'll leave it there, rant over. I have to get off this computer in case it breaks down.  

5 hours ago, Mark T said:

So true... ANY camera might die and stop working at ANY time for more reasons that could be imagined. Truth be told you probably have more chance of the camera being stolen than breaking down. Also, I never heard anyone saying "well the M10 is a great camera but y'know it's got an electronic shutter and is battery dependent, so I'm not going to risk it". It's absurd! Anyway, I'll leave it there, rant over. I have to get off this computer in case it breaks down.  

Last time I checked, you could buy an M10 brand new with a warranty and full parts and service support. 
Not sure that’s the case for an M7.

You can also insure a camera against theft, but not against a breakdown or failure that renders is it a £2000 paperweight. 

Edited by AndyC
Autocorrect typo.

1 hour ago, AndyC said:

Last time I checked, you could buy an M10 brand new with a warranty and full parts and service support. 
Not sure that’s the case for an M7.

You can also insure a camera against theft, but not against a breakdown or failure that renders is it a £2000 paperweight. 

The M7 (0.58) was my first Leica which I bought around 12 years ago pre-owned, or pre-loved as they say now (!) becuase I could not justify to but new. Of course with a 50 cron pre-loved as well.

It is an excellent camera, a pure joy to use. Go for it!

Edited by robert blu
  • Like 2