Jump to content
Ivi

Leica RE light meter issue

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I am new to this forum and would really appreciate your help.

The light meter in my RE constantly shows the upper arrow on the top up the shutter speed column while also indicating low light with the icon on the bottom left.  

When I point at the sky midday it still shows low light...I am using 400 ISO and nothing changes as I change aperture.

And then sometimes it works perfectly. The camera has been out of use for at least 15 years. 

If this is fixable I would pursue using this camera with a 35mm lens, but I am also confused about the Cam I,II,III options involving the lenses. Wondering that that night be the issue? 

Thanks!

Ivi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fear that if the camera is irreparable through lack of spare parts. It does indeed need three-cam or R-only lenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is only a meter problem, why not just put the camera in manual mode and use a hand-held meter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the best USA Leica technicians (Don Goldberg) said he will no longer work on the R model cameras, as he says they now have too many weaknesses and often develop other problems when you fix one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you sure you have fresh batteries?

If yes, it might just be dirty contacts on the metering/shutter speed dial.

Try the camera in manual mode - do the speeds seem correct?

You could use it in manual mode (if the shutter works correctly) or ask a camera tech to clean the contacts, although it could be money down the drain......... the choice is yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

If it is only a meter problem, why not just put the camera in manual mode and use a hand-held meter?

I don't have a hand held meter and to be honest I need something easy to use for this project I am working on. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

Are you sure you have fresh batteries?

If yes, it might just be dirty contacts on the metering/shutter speed dial.

Try the camera in manual mode - do the speeds seem correct?

You could use it in manual mode (if the shutter works correctly) or ask a camera tech to clean the contacts, although it could be money down the drain......... the choice is yours.

I have my first roll of film in it, so I guess I will found out if the shutter works correctly once the film is developed. 100% fresh batteries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

One of the best USA Leica technicians (Don Goldberg) said he will no longer work on the R model cameras, as he says they now have too many weaknesses and often develop other problems when you fix one.

Thanks that is really useful to know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall thank you all so much for responding, you really helped me make a decision about perhaps letting this Leica go. I am working on writing and photographing a book so I need something a lot more reliable than my RE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about the issue with the right lens? Which lens(es) are you using currently? It is easy to find out if your lenses are the correct ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Canonier said:

What about the issue with the right lens? Which lens(es) are you using currently? It is easy to find out if your lenses are the correct ones.

Good point! What lens are you using at the moment? If it's not the correct type it may be why the odd readings are coming up in the viewfinder. 

The RE was a simplified version of the R5 and they are generally reliable cameras (the earlier R4 and variants are more liable to electrical faults). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Read more about our Privacy Policy