Image uploading

Drtmw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

thanks to all who have posted such nice CL images. Inspiring. I would like to post some of my (stay at home) images but cannot find the rules/specifications for image up loads. Is the max size 1.17mb the only spec? On my computer the “guidelines” are only in German, a language I do not speak, alas. Is it permitted to upload a link to a SmugMug album of CL images? Obviously that would be easier but  perhaps less interesting.

thanks,

Tom from Colorado, USA

Why is it not like facebook?

Meaning you just post the image and like magic it appears.

No rules and sizes etc.

Not being awkward,just genuine question.

On 5/6/2020 at 8:48 AM, jaapv said:

Because Facebook uses resizing software that degrades image quality.

Thanks.

Do flickr do the same thing as facebook as well?

2 minutes ago, jaapv said:

On Flickr you can publish in different resolutions. I have no idea what they do to your file.

so why cant this forum do what flickr can?

9 hours ago, jaapv said:

This is a discussion forum, not an image depository like Flickr.

Are there any moderators who are respectful to others?

• 1 year later...

Hi Peter,

I believe the forum's software allows you to edit pictures for up to an hour after posting but beyond that you need the assistance of a Mod.  

Pete.

PS, You'll have the "Edit" link visible at the bottom of your post until the time expires.

Edited by farnz
Post script added for clarity.

• 2 weeks later...

Posting some photo's from the Tilburg meeting I noticed that the images after upload to the forum lose some saturation.

Here's a test:

Direct uploading to LUF:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Uploading the exact same image (same file) via the "other media" button from my smugmug:

I see the second image with more vivid colours, the base file is the same (and in sRGB colour space).

So my questions are:

- Do you see the same thing and

- Do you know what's causing this?

7 hours ago, pegelli said:

- Do you see the same thing and

I see a big difference between the two but I don't know why.

My guess would be mismatched colour gamuts or conversion from one to another that has fewer colours. 

For example, if Smugmug supports, for example, Prophoto RGB but the forum software only supports a smaller gamut (range of colours) like sRGB then the forum's software would convert your uploaded image into sRGB that might not have the particular hues (colour tones) in your picture and it would have to substitute colours that are in the sRGB range with the resulting picture looking less colourful.  (Just my guess.)

Pete.

16 minutes ago, farnz said:

I see a big difference between the two but I don't know why.

My guess would be mismatched colour gamuts or conversion from one to another that has fewer colours. 

For example, if Smugmug supports, for example, Prophoto RGB but the forum software only supports a smaller gamut (range of colours) like sRGB then the forum's software would convert your uploaded image into sRGB that might not have the particular hues (colour tones) in your picture and it would have to substitute colours that are in the sRGB range with the resulting picture looking less colourful.  (Just my guess.)

Pete.

Thanks for the response Pete, but both images are sRGB, it's even the same file, the first directly uploaded to LUF, the second one the exact same file uploaded to SmugMug and then linked to LUF. So it's something that happens while the file is uploaded to LUF. The image on SmugMug looks exactly the same as on my computerscreen in Photoshop while the one uploaded to LUF has less saturaton. Even when I download it again from LUF the loss of saturation remains.

• Thanks 1