Did i scratch my sensor while cleaning?

oekoek

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear reader

In attempt to clean the sensor of my M-E (Typ 220) i ended up with stripes on my pictures, i am afraid i might have damaged the sensor. The attachement is a crop of the corner right/above of a picture in which the stripes are clearly visible. Could you have a look at it and share your opinion on the matter. I would be grateful if you would be able to tell me if these are scratches on the surface of the sensor or its simply residue left by the cleaning fluid, i am really worried i have made scratches while cleaning. I've used Smear away and the green swabs made by visible dust. Looking through a 7x magnifier i can not see stripes or scratches on the sensor.

Many thanks for your help,

Timo

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

43 minutes ago, oekoek said:

Thank you Ko.Fe. i've found a website where they sell Isopropanol Alcohol 99,9%, (and claim to have it in stock) will it do a better job than the smear away from visible dust?

It will clean the smear you have on sensor after applying visible dust gunk. It is going to take some effort. Do not flood it. Let it always dry first. It takes time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2020 at 4:41 AM, oekoek said:

Sensor is clean, no scratches 😀 many thanks

Congratulation!

Though you have settled the problem, I still want to share my experience,  hoping it can help someone else.

What I learned the most important thing in wet cleaning is "NEVER USE TOO MUCH" cleaning liquid. The key is, the sensor starting edge should be 70-90% dried when the wiper reaches the end edge. It's not necessary high concentration, though it helps. I've used from 70% to 90%. They all work fine. 

I assume you already know, before applying the wet clean, dry clean first. I found a gentle brush with an static electrical charged brush works best. This stiff will suck the dirt on the surface to the brush, you then take out them off the camera cavity. Some people do it by blowing the air to the sensor, but I have been warned by a local store not top do that. It simply relocates the dust to somewhere else in the camera, but may come to the undesired location.    

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

Congratulation!

Though you have settled the problem, I still want to share my experience,  hoping it can help someone else.

What I learned the most important thing in wet cleaning is "NEVER USE TOO MUCH" cleaning liquid. The key is, the sensor starting edge should be 70-90% dried when the wiper reaches the end edge. It's not necessary high concentration, though it helps. I've used from 70% to 90%. They all work fine. 

I assume you already know, before applying the wet clean, dry clean first. I found a gentle brush with an static electrical charged brush works best. This stiff will suck the dirt on the surface to the brush, you then take out them off the camera cavity. Some people do it by blowing the air to the sensor, but I have been warned by a local store not top do that. It simply relocates the dust to somewhere else in the camera, but may come to the undesired location.    

Yes, thank you, I found it quite hard to get the proper (small) amount of liquid on the swap, that took some practice, like Ko.Fe. already said, you have to be patient. For dry cleaning I use the Giotto rocket blower and Visible dust Artic butterfly. I heard/read some different opinions about the use of rocket blowers for sensor, I hold the camera sensor faced downwards and blow the air gently on the sensor, sometimes about 30cm above the nozzle of my vacuum cleaner (on lowest power). Hopefully it will be dry cleaning for a while from now on, I didn't like the wet cleaning at all. The sensors of my ME(220) and MM1 seem to be very attractive to dust, but dust spots are also easy to remove in post processing.

2 minutes ago, oekoek said:

Yes, thank you, I found it quite hard to get the proper (small) amount of liquid on the swap, that took some practice, like Ko.Fe. already said, you have to be patient. For dry cleaning I use the Giotto rocket blower and Visible dust Artic butterfly. I heard/read some different opinions about the use of rocket blowers for sensor, I hold the camera sensor faced downwards and blow the air gently on the sensor, sometimes about 30cm above the nozzle of my vacuum cleaner (on lowest power). Hopefully it will be dry cleaning for a while from now on, I didn't like the wet cleaning at all. The sensors of my ME(220) and MM1 seem to be very attractive to dust, but dust spots are also easy to remove in post processing.

Static electricity has a lot to do with sensor dust. As time goes by it lessens.