Panny 50S F1.4

Donzo98

8 minutes ago, Donzo98 said:

Have any of you guys tried this lens?? 

I have one coming... too good a deal to turn down. I had a 50 SX SL... and sold it. 

I really miss 1.4... abs wanted try this on my S1R.

Opinions??

I'd also ask about the Sigma 50 1.4 as well. Thanks. Rob

7 hours ago, Donzo98 said:

Bought used...

I don't think the Sigma is on the same level as the Panny...

I think you're right, though after watching this review I went on the buy the Sigma, the one I would really like is the Summicron 50 SL.

Edited by Boojay
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boojay said:

I think you're right, though after watching this review I went on the buy the Sigma, the one I would really like is the Summicron 50 SL.

Hi Jayne: Just curious . . . have you already received the Sigma and tried it out?  Or, are you awaiting it?  The size difference of the Sigma is tempting. Thanks, Rob

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ropo54 said:

Hi Jayne: Just curious . . . have you already received the Sigma and tried it out?  Or, are you awaiting it?  The size difference of the Sigma is tempting. Thanks, Rob

Yes Rob I have it, had it a while.  Didn't really like it on the CL but I used in on the S1 where it was obviously a better fit, AF and IQ definitely more than good enough for me.

As I have a guilty secret (now have an SL2 - S1 gone), will probably be sharing some images from it some time soon☺️!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

30 minutes ago, Boojay said:

Yes Rob I have it, had it a while.  Didn't really like it on the CL but I used in on the S1 where it was obviously a better fit, AF and IQ definitely more than good enough for me.

As I have a guilty secret (now have an SL2 - S1 gone), will probably be sharing some images from it some time soon☺️!

Jayne:  Lucky you!  

This week, I tried out the Panasonic S1R (B&H had open box units for $1865 USD which I could not pass up) but packed it back up for return within an hour.  Just did not like the heft and new interface. (My brain is averse to trying to learn a new system!)  Most importantly, though, I wanted to have the auto focus for my S lenses, which is does not, so back it went.  I'm sticking with the SL for the moment, until I see more SL2s populating the market.

I am looking forward to seeing your posts, your comparative thoughts about the SL2, and more on the Sigma 50 1.4 . 

Regards,

Rob

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Boojay said:

I had the 50 SL... but I’m going try the Panny... the AF on the Leica was pretty slow... The Panny on the S1R should be significantly better. 

Don;

Was the slow AF on the SL 50 1.4 because of the camera or the lens (or both)?  Alternatively, how fast will the Panny focus on the SL 601?   I used to have the SL 50 1.4 and agree it was a slow focus, but the images were stunning.  I'm looking to acquire a 50 1.4 AF lens again.

Rob

1 hour ago, ropo54 said:

Don;

Was the slow AF on the SL 50 1.4 because of the camera or the lens (or both)?  Alternatively, how fast will the Panny focus on the SL 601?   I used to have the SL 50 1.4 and agree it was a slow focus, but the images were stunning.  I'm looking to acquire a 50 1.4 AF lens again.

Rob

AF on the 50 SL was almost definitely because of the lens. It was slow on the SL, and a little snapper on the S1/R. I had the 50 APO SL also... which was faster to AF on the Panny bodies. Sold the APO SL because I missed 1.4. 

My deal on the Panny 50 was too good to pass up... and from what I read the IQ is stunning... and on par with the 50 SL. 

18 minutes ago, Donzo98 said:

AF on the 50 SL was almost definitely because of the lens. It was slow on the SL, and a little snapper on the S1/R. I had the 50 APO SL also... which was faster to AF on the Panny bodies. Sold the APO SL because I missed 1.4. 

My deal on the Panny 50 was too good to pass up... and from what I read the IQ is stunning... and on par with the 50 SL. 

Thanks . . . Where did you source the Panasonic 50?  Rob

20 hours ago, Chaemono said:

The Sigma Art 50/1.4 is not nearly as sharp, has tons of PF/CA

I am surprised. I have not tried it myself, but reviews said it was nearly as good as the Otus 55. Has the tide risen so high in a couple of years? It's amazing how fast a lens goes from "nearly the best at any price" to "barely worth bothering with!" Is the Otus still considered good, or has it also been left behind?

vor 45 Minuten schrieb BernardC:

I am surprised. I have not tried it myself, but reviews said it was nearly as good as the Otus 55. Has the tide risen so high in a couple of years? It's amazing how fast a lens goes from "nearly the best at any price" to "barely worth bothering with!" Is the Otus still considered good, or has it also been left behind?

The Otus has the creamiest bokeh of all 50/55 f/1.4 lenses, on its native mount (adapter reflections slightly disturb this).  In terms of sharpness, the Lumix S 50/1.4 beats it wide open.  The 50 Summilux-SL comes third, but the Leica lens has the best depth rendering.

Otus 55 vs. 50 Summilux-SL here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-GGCRrg/

And here including a couple with the Sigma Art: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-9J3jzS/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1