My 50 'lux arrived today to complete the lineup!

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

£1000 for an R-D1; the paint has worn off mine, so I doubt it's worth anything like that. As for the D100, £100?, Digilux 2 maybe more, but of course it has been anatomised which will reduce its value.

For testing lenses, I've taken to using a piece of graph paper with a big thin cross marked on it. Allows very simple evaluation of focus compared to messing about with measuring tapes.

£1000 for an R-D1; the paint has worn off mine, so I doubt it's worth anything like that. As for the D100, £100?, Digilux 2 maybe more, but of course it has been anatomised which will reduce its value.

For testing lenses, I've taken to using a piece of graph paper with a big thin cross marked on it. Allows very simple evaluation of focus compared to messing about with measuring tapes.

Hi Mark

Having been a rather fickle camera user (E10 - D1x - D100 - E1 - Kodak 14n - D2x - D200 - E 330 - R-D1 - E510 - and those are only the ones I can remember and don't include the plethora of useless compacts) My only redeeming feature is that I've moved them on before they became worthless!

Right now I have the two M8's, an Olympus E1 (which I won't sell) an E510, and some Olympus lenses (sometimes you need an slr). I also have a Ricoh Gx100, which I've had for only a month and which is definitely going (fine, but I can't live without an optical viewfinder).

I like the graph paper idea, I'll give it a go. Bitter experience tells me that it's important to check it properly before sending off the passport.

Hi Peter

Congratulations Jono, I'm sure you will love the 50 lux. But....complete? Still no 24 elmarit, and on general principals, I'm not buying it!! ;>) best....Peter

erm yes - "takes one to know one". You're right, I do want a 24, and will probably get one at some stage, but it MUST be silver - and that makes it a little more tricky (not many of them about). I missed one on ebay for £750 (oh nooooo! fiddle assing about), but I guess another one will appear some day!

I'm rather partial to silver lenses on a black body.

Hah, I've always thought that would be a combination which wouldn't work - black on chrome, black on black, chrome on chrome but chrome on black. Certainly unusual. Because I'm chicken, all my lenses are black...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hah, I've always thought that would be a combination which wouldn't work - black on chrome, black on black, chrome on chrome but chrome on black. Certainly unusual. Because I'm chicken, all my lenses are black...

Eat your heart out:

pandaleica.jpg

:)

I think the chrome lenses are less prone to marking (or it's less visible anyway)

I once said we agree more often than disagree

I got my chrome 50 Summilux last week & have been busy giving it a work out

it is a very sweet lens

hope you are having as much fun putting yours through the paces as I am with mine

btw, which lens hood are you using with yours? ...I have been using the built in one, which looks inadequate with a filter attached, but so far I have not had any problems with contrast or flare

I once said we agree more often than disagree

I got my chrome 50 Summilux last week & have been busy giving it a work out

it is a very sweet lens

hope you are having as much fun putting yours through the paces as I am with mine

btw, which lens hood are you using with yours? ...I have been using the built in one, which looks inadequate with a filter attached, but so far I have not had any problems with contrast or flare

HI Arthur

I think we agree about pretty much everything these days don't we?:(

I'm pleased with mine, and I'm also using the built in lens hood - too much hassle to do anything else, I've certainly seen no flare problems.

It still amazes me how heavy those chrome lenses are - they seem to be heavier than anything that size has a right to be!

Hi Mark

Having been a rather fickle camera user (E10 - D1x - D100 - E1 - Kodak 14n - D2x - D200 - E 330 - R-D1 - E510 - and those are only the ones I can remember and don't include the plethora of useless compacts) My only redeeming feature is that I've moved them on before they became worthless!

Right now I have the two M8's, an Olympus E1 (which I won't sell) an E510, and some Olympus lenses (sometimes you need an slr). I also have a Ricoh Gx100, which I've had for only a month and which is definitely going (fine, but I can't live without an optical viewfinder).

I like the graph paper idea, I'll give it a go. Bitter experience tells me that it's important to check it properly before sending off the passport.

You could put the 21-28 OVF on the gx100

Hi Thomas

I could of course . . . . but then it would be nearly as big as an M8! (and nothing like the quality).

It's gotta go! (you don't want it do you?)

no, Allready have my own one. The ricoh 21-28 finder isnt really that big.

by the way - just got my first chrome lens (Zeiss 50/1.5) and it looks great on theblack M8. The bad thing is that even after resending it to Zeiss for calibrating I have focus issues- so I cant use it.

Now I kind of wish my 90macro and 1 or 2 other lenses would be chrome as well - specially the more "classic"looking ones.

However weight is an argument for black IMO.

cheers, Tom

no, Allready have my own one. The ricoh 21-28 finder isnt really that big.

by the way - just got my first chrome lens (Zeiss 50/1.5) and it looks great on theblack M8. The bad thing is that even after resending it to Zeiss for calibrating I have focus issues- so I cant use it.

Now I kind of wish my 90macro and 1 or 2 other lenses would be chrome as well - specially the more "classic"looking ones.

However weight is an argument for black IMO.

cheers, Tom

Hi Tom

But the ricoh finder only does 21-28? Truth to tell, I always have to carry something, and if it has to go over my shoulder it may as well have an M8 in it . . . .

Certainly the weight of the silver lenses is startling when you pick them up . . . . . .but adding it up over a bag of lenses it really doesn't amount to much. I have the 50 'cron, the 50 'lux and the 35 'cron in silver - the additional weight in my bag probably amounts to about 1/2 lb - I'm small, weak and old, but I can take it!

There is another small point with the Leica lenses that I really haven't seen anyone complaining about focus issues with chrome lenses (in reality it's probably because there are less of them . . . . . )