Why I went back to Leica S007 from X1D

Milan_S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/17/2020 at 1:25 AM, analog-digital said:

Reasons to prefer the Hasselblad X1D-50c:

• More detail: Offers more megapixels (51.3 vs 37.5MP) with a 15% higher linear resolution.
  • More framing info: Has an electronic viewfinder that displays shooting data.
  • Fewer buttons to press: Is equipped with a touch-sensitive rear screen to facilitate handling.
  • Easier time-lapse photography: Has an intervalometer built-in for low frequency shooting.
  • More compact: Is smaller (150x98mm vs 160x120mm) and thus needs less room in the bag.
  • Less heavy: Is lighter (by 535g or 42 percent) and hence easier to carry around.
  • More legacy lens friendly: Can take a broad range of non-native lenses via adapters.
  • More affordable: Was introduced into a lower priced category (63 percent cheaper at launch).
  • More modern: Is somewhat more recent (announced 1 year and 9 months after the S Typ 007).

Arguments in favor of the Leica S (Typ 007):

• Better video: Provides higher definition movie capture (4K/24p vs 1080/25p).
  • Brighter framing: Features an optical viewfinder for clear, lag-free composition.
  • Easier setting verification: Features a control panel on top to check shooting parameters.
  • Faster shutter: Has higher mechanical shutter speed (1/4000s vs 1/2000s) to freeze action.
  • Faster burst: Shoots at higher frequency (3.5 vs 2.3 flaps/sec) to capture the decisive moment.
  • Easier geotagging: Features an internal GPS sensor to log localization data.
  • Faster buffer clearing: Supports a more advanced SD data transfer standard (UHS-II vs UHS-I).
  • More heavily discounted: Has been on the market for longer (launched in September 2014).

Leica S Plus the option of using the HC and Contax 645 lenses with autofocus. 

• Like 2

I just spent the weekend using the Summicron S 100mm shooting portraits using focus and recompose at f/2 and am very happy that both the lens and the approach worked just fine. I think that where focus and recompose may result in a big enough arc to change the distance to subject materially enough to affect the focus plane, you're far enough away that the depth of field is large enough for it not to matter (say 3m). Where I was closer, say between 1m and 1.5m, the arc doesn't result in a big enough change in distance to subect even if the change in DoF is greater. I could be talking nonsense of course but I managed to get all the shots I wanted from the lens with this approach.

• Like 1

Live view is great on the 007, and I use it all the time. But I'm a largely handheld shooter, and magnified view focusing is hard without IBIS. Of course, with the 24, DoF is pretty large, and my copy of the 120 works very well with AF. But not all of my S lenses are so reliable, especially near infinity.

Then there's the OVF. I can see so little through the Fuji's EVF that I removed it from the camera. Even if I take my glasses off, I have to jam the camera into my face so hard that it leaves a mark. With glasses on, I can see about 50% of the image from any one position. It's a TV screen! Can't they maker a high eyepoint?

11 hours ago, mgrayson3 said:

Live view is great on the 007, and I use it all the time. But I'm a largely handheld shooter, and magnified view focusing is hard without IBIS. Of course, with the 24, DoF is pretty large, and my copy of the 120 works very well with AF. But not all of my S lenses are so reliable, especially near infinity.

Then there's the OVF. I can see so little through the Fuji's EVF that I removed it from the camera. Even if I take my glasses off, I have to jam the camera into my face so hard that it leaves a mark. With glasses on, I can see about 50% of the image from any one position. It's a TV screen! Can't they maker a high eyepoint?

Put a tilt adaptor on. It let you shoot even waist. Anyway I find not much problem with the Finder and the EVF of the GFX is about as good as it gets in terms of EVF tech on the market at the moment. What I don’t like is that in the GFX 100. I think they fix e issue of having a large hump at the back. Not now that EVF stuck out very awkwardly and it’s hard to store In backpacks without removing it. Hahaha. Fujifilm just does the ugliest and weirdest camera. 

• 2 weeks later...

After a few weeks of using the S007 again with the Summarit-S 70mm f2.5 CS some remarks:

• Love the rendering of the S lenses (had several S lenses before) compared to the X1D they are more organic and also have less vignetting 
  • Battery life of the S is a dream compared to X1D, I can shoot all day without recharging (2 batteries are enough) while with the X1D you need at least 3 or 4
  • Robustness: the S007 feels more robust although the X1D is also nicely build 
  • Interface: the touch screen of the X1D is brilliant but also a bit quirky (like a beta version) The 4 button design of the S is genius although i miss to swipe through my images
  • Weight: here the X1D wins, but the S007 is not crazy heavy since i started to lift weights 
  • AF: I do miss the AF light from the X1D and moveable focus point, but the S AF is accurate even in lower light with the S 70mm (i was thinking it was far worst, but this was maybe due to my experience with the 100mm f2) I often also focused and recomposed with the X1D since the moving of the AF point was a bit quirky on the first version. 
  • the colors: here is where the X1D wins, the colors of the X1D out of camera are gorgeous and much more real life. The S007 has a green tint and I often need to tweak the files in post production for skin tones etc.
  • Start up time: probably the worst on the X1D, in this way the S clearly wins
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/30/2020 at 10:39 AM, Milan_S said:

After a few weeks of using the S007 again with the Summarit-S 70mm f2.5 CS some remarks:

• Love the rendering of the S lenses (had several S lenses before) compared to the X1D they are more organic and also have less vignetting 
  • Battery life of the S is a dream compared to X1D, I can shoot all day without recharging (2 batteries are enough) while with the X1D you need at least 3 or 4
  • Robustness: the S007 feels more robust although the X1D is also nicely build 
  • Interface: the touch screen of the X1D is brilliant but also a bit quirky (like a beta version) The 4 button design of the S is genius although i miss to swipe through my images
  • Weight: here the X1D wins, but the S007 is not crazy heavy since i started to lift weights 
  • AF: I do miss the AF light from the X1D and moveable focus point, but the S AF is accurate even in lower light with the S 70mm (i was thinking it was far worst, but this was maybe due to my experience with the 100mm f2) I often also focused and recomposed with the X1D since the moving of the AF point was a bit quirky on the first version. 
  • the colors: here is where the X1D wins, the colors of the X1D out of camera are gorgeous and much more real life. The S007 has a green tint and I often need to tweak the files in post production for skin tones etc.
  • Start up time: probably the worst on the X1D, in this way the S clearly wins

Credit where its due, Hasselblad files have really good skin tones.I think the S CCD files are similar.

Edited by RVB
  • Like 2

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Milan_S:

Nope I sold the X1D, and honestly besides the size and weight advantage I don't miss it. I will definitely keep the S system and might further invest in S glass...

I actually have a 100mm Summieren on my desk for testing. And I really think about buying even if I just have the 70mm and the 120mm...

2 hours ago, Jan1985 said:

I actually have a 100mm Summieren on my desk for testing. And I really think about buying even if I just have the 70mm and the 120mm...

Yes, the Summicron-S 100mm f2 is an amazing lens, a bit difficult to nail focus but if you nail it it works wonders, I will buy one again too shortly...

It's gorgeous for portraits and has beautiful bokeh and rendering.