Is anyone here using an S1H?

Mick H

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/4/2020 at 4:27 AM, SocialKonstruct said:

The S1H is a heavy behemoth and honestly as a S1 owner even that's heavy too!

I recently tried the S1H in a shop, and it didn't weigh much more than the 5D Mark II I used to use for all my work. When I'm shooting a job, I mostly use a video monopod or tripod anyway, so weight in my hands isn't an issue. However, I've been spoiled by the lightness of the GH4 and tiny m43 lenses, so I'll have to be careful about that if I upgrade to the S1H. Either that, or move up to the GH5S. As it stands, coronavirus has put a halt on most of my clients, so I'm hanging on to my money until I can build a different client base. By then, the S1H might have dropped in price, who knows.

• 3 years later...

In the three years since I wrote the last post, I bought a Panasonic G9 in mid 2020 and discovered the joys of IBIS, so I rarely use a monopod any more. In 2021, with much thought, I bought a Panasonic S5 over the S1 and S1H because it was smaller, lighter and less expensive. And now in late 2023, I'm back to considering a S1H as the price of used units has really come down, and the extra video quality is even more appealing. The S1H can become my A cam with the S5 as b cam. While the majority of my video work is online, I would like to get into streaming services, so the benefit of a Netflix certified camera adds some assurance to this process. Rumination and budgeting continues.

• Like 2