Is anyone here using an S1H?

Mick H

• 2 weeks later...

The stills performance should be quite similar to the S1, which is great. But as you probably know, the S1 is the better choice for stills. The S1H is focused heavily on video. It is much more expensive and bulkier than the S1, and geared less towards stills than the S1 or S1R. It adds an AA filter, so the stills will not be as sharp as the S1 or S1R, though it will have less moire. The only thing that might be different for stills is the ISO response. I have not seen a direct comparison, but the S1H has a dual ISO sensor (640 and 4000 ISO native settings), while the S1 is ISO640 only. But the S1 is remarkably good for low light, so I am not sure whether it makes a big difference. I would curiously, actually, as I do a lot of night videos on the S1. I have an A7S as well, and I actually prefer the S1 video quality for extreme low light. The A7S might reach a tiny bit deeper into some shadows, but the S1 has fewer artifacts and I find the footage more usable in most situations. Unless you are planning on using the camera 90% of the time for video and 10% of the time for stills, the S1 with the firmware upgrade is probably a better choice than the S1H.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

The stills performance should be quite similar to the S1, which is great. But as you probably know, the S1 is the better choice for stills. The S1H is focused heavily on video. It is much more expensive and bulkier than the S1, and geared less towards stills than the S1 or S1R. It adds an AA filter, so the stills will not be as sharp as the S1 or S1R, though it will have less moire. The only thing that might be different for stills is the ISO response. I have not seen a direct comparison, but the S1H has a dual ISO sensor (640 and 4000 ISO native settings), while the S1 is ISO640 only. But the S1 is remarkably good for low light, so I am not sure whether it makes a big difference. I would curiously, actually, as I do a lot of night videos on the S1. I have an A7S as well, and I actually prefer the S1 video quality for extreme low light. The A7S might reach a tiny bit deeper into some shadows, but the S1 has fewer artifacts and I find the footage more usable in most situations. Unless you are planning on using the camera 90% of the time for video and 10% of the time for stills, the S1 with the firmware upgrade is probably a better choice than the S1H.

Thanks for the overview.  I am aware of these features and interestingly, I have an A7S as well.  The S1 is powerful but I want access to more codecs like C4K which my SL offers.  The S1H would potentially back up my SL as a stills camera. The S1H would do A cam video duty.  The unlimited video recording duration and full flippy screen are interesting to me for various projects I am contemplating.  I want to grow into the video feature set and tools over time.  I am always trying to learn new things.  

The S1H stills performance data is hard to find.  I would like to see some high res RAWs or JPGs to evaluate performance.  You mention low light performance.  The S1H with dual ISO and cooling heatsink plus active fan should mitigate sensor noise in stills and video.  Again, it's hard to find data on this.  The S1H is like the S1 but the sensor/filter setup, dual ISO and passive/active cooling are different.  The on switch and top panel are different.  I examined the S1/R cams extensively and then the SL2.  The S1H and SL as a pair seem to compliment each other as I want to explore video more seriously this year.

Does anyone have an S1H?

• Like 1

I'm also considering S1H for video. I was about to purchase SL2 primarily for this purpose because the video is not the greatest on my SL, but after reading and watching videos of S1H I think I made the decision. My only concern is how my SL lenses will perform with S1H regarding image stabilization. I have 24-90 and 90-280, both with image stabilization. Will both IBIS and OIS work in this combination?

Edited by hirohhhh
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 6:24 PM, thighslapper said:

If you attach a Leica lens with OIS to a Panasonic camera you have the choice of Lens OIS, body IBIS or off

If you attach a Panasonic lens with OIS to a Panasonic camera you have a choice of Lens OIS, Body OIS or both

If you attach a non OIS Leica (or other)  lens you have a choice of IBIS on or off. 

As IBIS is 5 stops and Leica OIS 3 stops or so I set IBIS as the default, whatever lens I use. 

Combined IBIS + OIS only functions with Panasonic lenses. 

I would suspect the S1H offers the same as above.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hirohhhh said:

That's exactly what I though, but I wanted to double check. Thanks for sharing this!

Welcome.  Let me know how the S1H works for you if you acquire it.  I also looked at the SL2 for IBIS and video.  The S1H is a low light camera with dual gain ISO and 24 MP.  I also want the S1H fully articulating LCD that the SL/SL2 do not have.  I have some projects that require a video A cam and good L mount backup to the SL.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 3:06 AM, hirohhhh said:

I bought S1H yesterday. I'm still reading the manual, not playing much with the camera yet, but so far this is fantastic video camera. I'll definitely leave my SL for photography and not upgrade to SL2 anytime soon.

How is it going with the S1H?  I have spent the last two weeks customizing mine to work for me.   It's a powerful hybrid camera.  

On 2/4/2020 at 9:38 PM, Mick H said:

How is it going with the S1H?  I have spent the last two weeks customizing mine to work for me.   It's a powerful hybrid camera.  

Sooo good, I've been busy with my S1H lately, I haven't even visit this forum once. Got Ninja V and few other accessories, it's really powerful for video. Not even tried a any photo mode. For that I'm loyal to my SL :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 6:33 PM, hirohhhh said:

Sooo good, I've been busy with my S1H lately, I haven't even visit this forum once. Got Ninja V and few other accessories, it's really powerful for video. Not even tried a any photo mode. For that I'm loyal to my SL :)

I have shot five videos over the past few weeks and then stills for a large corporate event with the S1H.  I have been busy as well.  For the stills (mostly OCF), I leave the SL 24-90 on the SL as the lens has OIS.  The S1H IBIS can stabilize my 14-24 Nikkor, 80-200 Nikkor and the Sigma 35 1.2 Art.  S1H IBIS plus AFC is usable for handheld pro video work if carefully controlled.  Of course you can pull manual focus with IBIS handheld.  Now I have more flexibility than the SL offers.  The 24 MP files recorded to dual SD Cards in both cameras is very convenient.  The files match up well.  The pair is working for me so far.  The SL remains a powerful and beautiful camera despite its age.  

• Like 1

Sounds really great. I'm considering upgrading from the GH4 to the S1H for video work, and to be able to shoot high quality stills with the same camera means I only need to bring one with me to jobs, as opposed to the GH4, Canon 5D Mark II and Leica M9. If I had a S1, it would be a backup or complementary body, share lenses with the S1H, and overall the package should weigh less than a full m43/Canon/Leica M kit. The S1 would also suit a lot of the work I do, which is docs and corporate/commercial plus stills.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Archiver said:

Sounds really great. I'm considering upgrading from the GH4 to the S1H for video work, and to be able to shoot high quality stills with the same camera means I only need to bring one with me to jobs, as opposed to the GH4, Canon 5D Mark II and Leica M9. If I had a S1, it would be a backup or complementary body, share lenses with the S1H, and overall the package should weigh less than a full m43/Canon/Leica M kit. The S1 would also suit a lot of the work I do, which is docs and corporate/commercial plus stills.

The L Mount alliance did not exist when I dared to get an SL and native 24-90.  I wanted a pro mirrorless hybrid with dual SD cards and an impeccable native normal range zoom.  This combo reenergized my craft.  Now the S1H gives me a full frame cinema camera that shoots stills.  The buffer is rated at 60 RAWs but I have tested it past 100 RAWs with a single V90 card.  The SL will give me about 34-35 RAWs.  I had to test and use the S1H myself to understand its capabilities.  The fully articulating screen is welcome too as I can now touch to focus and touch to shoot right on the LCD for low and high angle shots.

You'll like the S1H as it has a fully articulating screen like the GH4 and the old GH1 I used to have.  It'll pair nicely with the S1 with similar menus and color.  I think another S1H would pair well with my current S1H actually, better than an S1.  But the SL is so elegant and solid.  Leica colors and skin tones are excellent.  The S1H shutter is quieter than the SL. The ability to swap native lenses between two radically different bodies is powerful.  

If you upgrade, let us now how it works out.  Good luck.

• Like 1

I shoot video professionally with my Sony FS5 with RAW out to a Shogun Inferno when I need it and a lovely range of Canon L zooms and Zeiss Milvus primes.

For stills (for fun) I have a Leica CL with the fab 23/2 and 35/1.4 TLs. I’ve been looking for a secondary video camera body for a while and the S1H looks like a great option as I could use all my EF lenses and also the TL primes in APSC mode.

Has anyone tried TL lenses on their S1H for video and if so what are your thoughts?

I have no idea about video but with the TL lenses (11-23, 35, 55-135) they are actually amazing on the S1R for stills, they are cropped though to APSC size but still offer 20MP and of cause the IBIS, they work flawlessly.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

This is a crop from a high res 96 MP S1H raw file.  The 105mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor was used on a Novoflex SL- Nikon G adaptor.  S1H IBIS and high res features are useful to me.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1