Aspect ratio crop lines

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
9 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

The Q would be better without any fake frame crop lines in my view.

Just shoot at 28mm and crop if you mess up.

Disagree. It's nice to frame in camera at 35mm sometimes. The playback interface is what doesnt work for me. 

I think the implementation of the digital zoom leaves a lot to be desired. I agree with Steven on the playback interface. However, if you shoot both JPG and DNG when using the digital zoom, the playback version you get is the cropped JPG; not the case if you are only shooting DNG. What really irks me is the fact that you get the frame lines a la rangefinder instead of "zooming" the image to fit the LCD according to what you are shooting, i.e. 35, 50, 75. This is just a nuisance and a remnant of the M-series user experience. It is borderline usable at 35 and definitely NOT usable at the long end of the digital zoom. I really hope that they will address this in a firmware upgrade. I am used to 35 and I am not using it because I do not like the frame lines and seeing what is left out. It should be noted that digital zooms are not implemented like this on other cameras; the X100F for example, uses the frame lines when you are looking through the actual optical rangefinder but if you use the EVF, it zooms the image to fill the frame. Much better:)

24 minutes ago, acg69 said:

if you shoot both JPG and DNG when using the digital zoom, the playback version you get is the cropped JPG

Are you kidding me ? This is amazing ! Can’t wait to try. I’ll deal with the hassle of JPEGs for sure. 

about the rest, you’re right. The homage frame lines just aren’t convenient. It’s like if the super 35 mode on Sony was full frame with a square. WTH! 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 12/8/2019 at 4:36 PM, Videobikerdude said:

Am I the only one that wants Leica to add the ability to see 4x5 and 1x1 crop lines in the viewfinder?  I like to shoot in these aspect ratios and would like to see and option in the Q2 to select them when needed. 

I'd like that, too!

• Like 2

• 7 months later...