Will SL sell for a discount now?

bozu_shutterbugger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It will all depend on how many used SLs get traded in so owners can trade up. I remember Leica Soho (NYC) had a lot of M10s for sale when the M10mp came out .... so my guess is that by early next year there will be plenty of used SLs to buy at a fair price. Leftover new SLs? Not sure there are that many, and the prices are set, as noted by others above.

I was told by a few Leica dealers that they snagged as many SLs as they could lay their hands on when the $1500 trade-in promo was in effect, so that is probably one reason why there are few new SLs out there. As for the price, B+H has listed the regular SL body as 'Discontinued', but still offers kits with the 50 Lux and the 24-90, so my guess is that it will enjoy decent resale values for the near term.

Let's face it, not everybody needs 47mp, and don't even have enough horsepower in their existing computers to handle the super-large files. The SL is still a viable camera and a great 'all-around' camera for most of us.

• Like 1

As the SL seems to have a good reliability record and is built like a tank a good second hand one at the current prices is a real bargain.

I can't see the bottom falling out of the SL1 market anytime soon, particularly considering the cost of replacing it with an SL2 that offers benefits you could easily live without and still take photos easily as good as the current competition. If GAS wasn't so rife there would be very few for sale. :rolleyes:

As a quality body entry point to the vast range of super Leica lenses it's a very good choice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

I think B&H SL+24-90mm kit ($7995 == $3000 for SL, $4995 for 24-90mm) translates to cheaper than any used SL.

With all due respect, I think that many of these pricing assumptions for the original SL's value are slightly flawed and based on speculation

Facts: 

- When the SL TYP 601 first came out, it was selling for $7495US (body only) and stayed at this price for a few years

- Late last year or early this year, Leica had a price reduction of $1500US (which angered just a few folks who had recently purchased one) bringing the price down to it's current price of $5995US

- In Q2/Q3 2019, Leica ran a promotion where they would accept a trade-in of a working DSLR for -$1500US off the list price of $5995, making the net cost $4495US. This was (and still is) the cheapest price available for a 'new' Leica SL TYP 601

-Up until the point where the body was discontinued, the price for a 'new' TYP 601 SL was still $5995US

'New is new' and used, mint, or other is an entirely-different animal. Yes, you can obtain a well-used SL for anywhere from $2500 and up. I see near mint to mint examples fetch in the high $3000 range ($3500-$3700)

When Leica runs a promotion on a bundle, they discount BOTH the body and the lens, so one can't assume that (for example) when B+H sells an SL + 24-90 combo, that the body is $3000 and the lens is $4995. This is just not accurate. It is more like each is selling for around $4000 per item on average

Used equipment prices are a factor of condition, current retail prices and the buyer's willingness to pay

Edited by bherman01545

1 hour ago, bherman01545 said:

With all due respect, I think that many of these pricing assumptions for the original SL's value are slightly flawed and based on speculation

Facts: 

- When the SL TYP 601 first came out, it was selling for $7495US (body only) and stayed at this price for a few years

- Late last year or early this year, Leica had a price reduction of $1500US (which angered just a few folks who had recently purchased one) bringing the price down to it's current price of $5995US

- In Q2/Q3 2019, Leica ran a promotion where they would accept a trade-in of a working DSLR for -$1500US off the list price of $5995, making the net cost $4495US. This was (and still is) the cheapest price available for a 'new' Leica SL TYP 601

-Up until the point where the body was discontinued, the price for a 'new' TYP 601 SL was still $5995US

'New is new' and used, mint, or other is an entirely-different animal. Yes, you can obtain a well-used SL for anywhere from $2500 and up. I see near mint to mint examples fetch in the high $3000 range ($3500-$3700)

When Leica runs a promotion on a bundle, they discount BOTH the body and the lens, so one can't assume that (for example) when B+H sells an SL + 24-90 combo, that the body is $3000 and the lens is $4995. This is just not accurate. It is more like each is selling for around $4000 per item on average

Used equipment prices are a factor of condition, current retail prices and the buyer's willingness to pay

The fact is, you cannot get used SL or used SL+24-90mm cheaper than the bundled promotion.  

And it doesn't make much (== any) sense to get SL camera without SL lens. 

14 hours ago, Raid Amin said:

A clean used SL can be found for $3500. I wonder how much lower the price will fall in the coming weeks.

Prices may fall a bit if there's a lot of trade-ins for the SL2, but I suspect they will remain strong in the medium term. The reason for that is the L-Mount alliance, and the much bigger secondary market that it provides.

The SL has rock-solid reliability, and its performance is still top-notch. That makes it a great option for Panasonic and Sigma shooters. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the same used market behaviour as for M lenses: the lowest price of a used SL (in decent condition) will be higher than the new price of a Panasonic S1. The equivalent M lens dynamic is that the lowest price of a modern M lens is always more than the new price of the equivalent ZM lens. For instance, if the Planar 2.0/50 sells for $1000 new, you will have a hard time finding a Summicron for less than $1300 (one that was made in the last 40 years).

That trend probably won't hold in 3-4 years, but it should be good until then. In my opinion.

Leica has promoted bundles in two ways in the past (according to PopFlash), at least in terms of packaging.  Sometimes the pieces come in the same box; other times in separate boxes.  I suspect that this depends on product supply and reason for bundling, which could affect individual and collective discounting amounts.  With expected US tariffs on certain lenses, this could have interesting price implications if affected lenses are part of a bundle.

Jeff

This has piqued my interest in the SL again, but I remind myself that the Panasonic S1 is technically better and has more features, and costs less than even a decent secondhand SL In Australia you can get a clean SL for about AUD $5000, and the S1 goes for $2900 street price. And with the Nov 2019 firmware update, the S1 becomes even better for hybrid photo-video shooting, too. At the same time, the SL has always been attractive.

I sold my Leica SL for AUD$4.5K in June 2019. It was mechanically perfect, but had plenty of signs of use, including scratches... I'd taken well over 100K frames with it and dragged it around the world a few times! 

I sold it and bought an S1R, which is a fine camera, but nowhere near as enjoyable to shoot for me as the SL was. I've ordered the SL2 and can't wait to get my hands on it. 

As to what the future is for the SL pricing... it's by any measure a wonderful camera and should hold value, but as a digital camera I think it will drift down over time... you can get a Nikon D2X for few hundred dollars these days!