Mechanical repairs on an M8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bought an M8 about a month ago, really like the camera, it came with a 40 f1.4 Voigtlander. I have been using a 35 Summilux and a 25mm Canon with it, so haven't had to see the frame line any different than with wides. I put a 90 on it and lo and behold still had the wide frame lines. Started to move the frame change lever and it barely moved. After a few moves it seemed to loosen up, but still stays on the wide frame lines. Any ideas on who to send it to? I have been using YYE for my M3 but he doesn't do digital.

Thanks

Have you been able to try it with any other 90mm lens? Do the framelines revert to the wide angle ones when the 90mm is removed?  It occurs to me that there is a possibility that the problem may be with the lenses' mount not the camera frame lines. I have in the past owned a lens that did not bring up frame lines correctly. See if a camera store will allow you to mount a different lens to see what happens before you send the camera off for repairs. 

14 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Thanks you but would be Leica US for me. But kind of afraid in sending a 13 year old 1st generation digital camera to Leica, just wonder how many problems they would find. Images are good from the camera and this seems to be the only problem from a users perspective.

Ooops sorry I saw Thetford and though Norfolk! 

It should be a simple repair, the framelines are all mechanical, but I think the independents won't touch the digital bodies, so it has to be Leica in that case. 

I could try Precision Camera, I also could check with Leica US, it is only an email. Youxin Ye is the go to guy here for mechanical M bodies and lenses may check with him too.

I think it may be working itself out, it probably had the Voigtlander 40 on it its whole life and the frame lever never moved, flexing it a few times seem to have freed it up. I took my 90 on and off a few times seemed to move the last time, I put the 25 back on it and the frame line lever moved to a different position with extra wide frame lines in the viewfinder. May have worked it in to shape.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/17/2019 at 9:14 PM, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Bought an M8 about a month ago, really like the camera, it came with a 40 f1.4 Voigtlander. I have been using a 35 Summilux and a 25mm Canon with it, so haven't had to see the frame line any different than with wides. I put a 90 on it and lo and behold still had the wide frame lines. Started to move the frame change lever and it barely moved. After a few moves it seemed to loosen up, but still stays on the wide frame lines. Any ideas on who to send it to? I have been using YYE for my M3 but he doesn't do digital.

Thanks

I recognize the problem. Last month I bought a very nice M8.2. The frame change lever hardly moved and was in the 24-35 mm position. Apparently only used with a 35mm. With cautious pressure without forcing, movement started and now it works with all focal lenses. But not as buttery as with my M8 and M9-P. The M8 second-hand in 2013 received a new shutter and a complete overhaul shortly after the purchase at Leica-repair (€ 400). When traveling, two cameras, the Q2 and the M8 with 90mm, are sufficient. The IR sensitivity remains the special charm of the M8 / 8.2, but that is another thread.