APO 50 Cron SL - focus noise

MRJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just got this lens a couple of days ago. I can't say anything subjective about the image quality yet since I am still testing, but it seems to make quite some noise when focusing. So far I only had the mid-range and tele zooms but this one here seems the loudest and it doesn't sound smooth either. Anybody else has the same observation?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 hours ago, Ingo said:

"Quite some noise" is subjective.
But I can confirm that my copy is louder than the 24-90 and 90-280. As loud as the 35-Cron. 
I don't find this disturbing in daily use. 

Thanks, Ingo, I will go back to my store end of the week to compare against the 35-cron and perhaps the lux. Leica calls it "schnell, präzise und leise", mine has the most noisy autofocus I have ever heard, either something is wrong (which I suspect), or, they better do not give it this attribute "leise" at all if it is considered normal (they don't have to mention this, they choose to), otherwise (some) folks try to hold them "accountable" to the claim, which I agree is subjective, but if the zooms are "leise", then this one is "lauter". They are Leica, they set the standard, they ask the price, (my) customer expectation = needs to be perfect.

MrJohn,  You are quite correct in your expectations.  In all six of my SL primes and zooms, all AF motors are very quiet, barely audible.  I have never had a problem with any SL lenses unlike my S lenses.  The S lenses had AF motor issues;  read AF motors died.  I would think the store should either swap your lens for a new one, or send it to Wetzlar for warranty inspection and correction.  Perhaps Leica might simply swap out your SL lens.  If you can live without your SL camera, I would send that along with the lens if its going to Wetzlar.  In my case, Leica swapped two S lenses for new ones, repaired the other two and tuned up my out of warranty S007 once for me for nothing.  Of course, I am a founding member of Leica...LOL.   r/ Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I now went to the store and compared my 50 cron with a 35 cron and the 50 lux. Interesting. The 50 lux was super quiet (like it should be), you did not hear the focus moving. The 35 cron and my 50 cron were very similar. My 50 cron was a bit more squeaky in tonality when moving the focus but in terms of noise level at focus lock rather on par. I also heard of a returned 75 cron for making a squeaky noise right out of the box. 

1 hour ago, jrp said:

Some of my SL Summicron lenses squeak in manual focus mode, but not the 50. 

Thanks, so quite some variability in this "issue" and probably only associated with the SL cron line. Will this have an impact on longevity of the drive motor in affected lenses? Hard to tell at this point. - Hope there are some more replies on this topic so we get a better feel on how wide-spread it might be.

1 hour ago, MRJohn said:

Thanks, so quite some variability in this "issue" and probably only associated with the SL cron line. Will this have an impact on longevity of the drive motor in affected lenses? Hard to tell at this point. - Hope there are some more replies on this topic so we get a better feel on how wide-spread it might be.

Well they are all silent in AF mode.  The DFD on the Panasonic lenses appears to try to get ahead of the game and tries to focus even if you don't press anything.  This is indeed a source of potential motor wear, unless, and even if, you shorten the sleep timeout.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
vor einer Stunde schrieb waynexu1998:

I just got my 50mm cron APO and it also makes quite some noise indoor. Haven’t tested it outdoor so I can’t say how it sounds in the field. Just wondering does it get better overtime for those fellows who had the issue before. Thanks a lot 

Are you using it on the SL or the S1/R or the SL2?

3 hours ago, waynexu1998 said:

I just got my 50mm cron APO and it also makes quite some noise indoor. Haven’t tested it outdoor so I can’t say how it sounds in the field. Just wondering does it get better overtime for those fellows who had the issue before. Thanks a lot 

mine still makes some low, squeaky noise, noticeable mostly indoors, probably not an issue but a huge disappointment for the price