Long Exposure

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Interesting !

With M-P (typ240), do you mean that you can set more than 60 seconds with "B" and cable release ?

Which timer ?

Nope the camera will not let you make an exposure longer than 60 seconds it seems even using "B". Sorry my mistake.

As for a timer well most phone have count down timers, watch with sweep hand or digital watches and a number of other devices that keep time would work.😉

I thought for a while that you know some secret.

No need of external timer 😉.

M240 can be smarter than that ...

Set dial to "B", push the front button more than two seconds,

dependig on ISO, max time is displayed on LCD at rear,

with the "arrow" or "roller", just chose the one that suites like "8-12-16-24-32-45-60" in seconds (this is when I set 200 ISO)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

I thought for a while that you know some secret.

No need of external timer 😉.

M240 can be smarter than that ...

Set dial to "B", push the front button more than two seconds,

dependig on ISO, max time is displayed on LCD at rear,

with the "arrow" or "roller", just chose the one that suites like "8-12-16-24-32-45-60" in seconds (this is when I set 200 ISO)

good stuff thanks!  Can I use shutter cable as alternative?

9 hours ago, jaeger said:

good stuff thanks!  Can I use shutter cable as alternative?

Of course, you can use cable release to trigger the shutter only, avoiding vibrations.

The timing (as described 8 to 60 seconds) if chosen would not be disturbed by the cable which is for triggering purpose only.

No difference in triggering with digit or cable, here concerning the "speed" (for ISO 200, 8 to 60 seconds) chosen.

Remember that timing will be doubled for blank "frame" not possible to cancel.

5 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

The timing if chosen would not be disturbed by the cable which is for triggering purpose only.

I mean what if I ignore that LCD selection, and keep pressing the shutter thru the release cable.  is it going to open the shutter like other SLR camera to expose the sensor until I let go the shuttle cable?

8 minutes ago, jaeger said:

I mean what if I ignore that LCD selection, and keep pressing the shutter thru the release cable.  is it going to open the shutter like other SLR camera to expose the sensor until I let go the shuttle cable?

No. The shutter release is electric and the shutter will close at max time. When possible using the self-timer to trip is a good idea.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jaeger said:

Hi Jaeger, sorry but using a cable release does not effect the 60 second limit on long exposures. The time limit is baked into the firmware. This is why I typically just use the self timer to give the camera time to settle down on the tripod instead of using a cable release. I don't have a 240 but I do have an M10 and the the long exposure was also limited to 60 seconds in the original firmware but was later increased to 4 minutes in an update. Cheers, jc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jkcampbell2 said:

later increased to 4 minutes in an update. Cheers, jc

Good to know thanks guys, so I can keep the softie  =D

I wish M240 has coming firmware update to achieve that.  Was it because M240 sensor cannot handle 60+ seconds or what?

What are the intervals of 4 minutes, I hope it isn't a long list.  lol

M10, at ISO 200 has these choices, not too long but very useful 😉:

8s - 12s- 16s - 24s - 32s - 45s - 60s - 90s - 125s - 3m - 4m

At 100 ISO same settings

but if we increase ISO each double ISO from 200 divide the max setting by two (at 800 ISO only max 60s like M240)

Edited by a.noctilux

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jaeger said:

I found an old release cable and it does bulb mode on M240P. 

Happily, of course it does bulb mode, as nice as can be a Leica M which keeps this antique mechanical support.

As stated above, it's "B" mode time can not bypass the longest time possible 60s , even with cable release "block" as the one I use.

Blocked, it stops at 60s then blank count down another 60s.

Had you tried to go further than 60s ?

• Like 1