Diopter selection: Here's how to do it

Sam

1 hour ago, albertknappmd said:

Jeff

The ophthalmologist refracted and while this was perfect for eyeglasses, was off for M.

The best is trial and error with a few diopters that you can attach to camera.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Of course one needs to have the camera in hand. The free trial diopters at an optician can be placed over the M VF.  Find the strength that works best. Order just that one. Done.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

Trial and error is the essence of the optometrist route. Just use his tryout lenses between the camera and your eye. Attempting to calculate is a lottery unless one is profecient in both optometrics and rangefinders, A rare combination.

• Thanks 1

Really ignorant question but is this correcting on top of glasses or contacts.

I'm struggling (day 1 with my M10), but nailing most shots at 2.8 and above...f/2 is tricky. I find my right eye is better than my left..my left has A +3 and right is +1.25 so don't know if I need a diopter to correct on top of that.

9 minutes ago, Shivaswrath said:

Really ignorant question but is this correcting on top of glasses or contacts.

I'm struggling (day 1 with my M10), but nailing most shots at 2.8 and above...f/2 is tricky. I find my right eye is better than my left..my left has A +3 and right is +1.25 so don't know if I need a diopter to correct on top of that.

I wear glasses to correct for distance and astigmatism, but still benefit from the addition of a +.5 diopter, which is not uncommon for M users with aging eyes.  Prescription sunglasses in daylight also help deal with my light sensitivity. I don’t like contacts.  Each person is different; not just eye conditions, but also preferences and comfort levels with various viewing and correction options.  Best to experiment and see what works best for you.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Thanks 1

You certainly need a diopter to focus without glasses (which is the nicest way). Go to the local optometrician and try which  glasses work best on the viewfinder. Then order the nearest diopter strength. 

• Thanks 1

It is perfectly normal for dioptre settings to be out of line with reading glasses. For example, my long sight requires me to wear +3.0 to read anything within 0.9 meters. After that I can see the stars and the moon with my own eyes. My dioptre setting is +1.5 in order to see the rangefinder accurately.

2 hours ago, RagingCANE said:

I only wear reading glasses in the 1.5x. I went to my local Leica Store in LA and they had them all so it was easy. I use the 1.0 diopter. I'm not sure why or how it works but it doesn't match up to my readers.

The distance to the object you are focusing on is different.

The focus patch is set to a virtual distance of 2m.  And the VF has a built in -.5 diopter.  Best to use actual diopters, in front of the VF, for testing.  And to correct for any astigmatism first.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

The focus patch is set to a virtual distance of 2m.  And the VF has a built in -.5 diopter.  Best to use actual diopters, in front of the VF, for testing.  And to correct for any astigmatism first.

Front? Lens side?

• 2 months later...
On 7/28/2019 at 9:27 AM, magixaxeman said:

I knew with the Fuji X-Pro1 I needed a +2 diopter and my glasses prescription is +2 so bought the leica +2 and it works fine.

This prescription of yours is for short distance, for reading? I do not know if the diopter should equal the prescription for short or long distance, any comments?

I wear glasses daily vari-focal, I had two eye test in same month and got two different prescriptions, I didn’t know where to start so went to a Leica store in London and just tried a few, still wasn’t easy as 1.5 and 2 were both close. But happy now, just got to get used to pushing glasses up my head before bringing camera up to my eye.