Diopter selection: Here's how to do it

Sam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I talked to Josh at Leica Store Miami and he suggested ordering one of each correction so I could test and find the correct one, and send the others back. I did, and the +1.0 does the trick for me. So the others go back for refund.

Mission accomplished.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I tried that, Jeff. Nobody here has trial diopters that I could find, and even my ophthalmologist didn't. That would certainly be easier if you have that option. This worked out perfectly as each lens could be screwed all the way in so there was no possible error. :) It cost me an extra $15 return shipping. I'm ok with that.

• Like 1

Leica used to have this tool:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, jaapv said:

Leica used to have this tool:

Yes, I looked everywhere but wasn't able to find one. It would certainly simplify things. Having to order 8 diopters @ $175 ea in order to find the correct one was certainly going to the extreme!

40 minutes ago, RagingCANE said:

Do they typically have these in stock at Leica stores? I would rather try them in the store than order them all.

Leica shops are as rare as rocking horse droppings unless you live near a major city.  It can cost a lot to travel to those locations. Maybe it is time for Leica to offer online services for the majority who live a long distance from a dealer?

E.g. Send a dioptre tester to you through the post on a returnable or refundable deposit.

Rail fare, plus parking and tube, to Leica Mayfair for a day is about GBP 60. Postage is about GBP 5. 

Those dioptre testers can't weigh a lot and weight is the main factor in postage costs.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 8:57 PM, Sam said:

I talked to Josh at Leica Store Miami and he suggested ordering one of each correction so I could test and find the correct one, and send the others back. I did, and the +1.0 does the trick for me. So the others go back for refund.

Mission accomplished.

I went down to the local CVS Pharmacy and tried their reading glasses. The +2.0 worked best for me so ordered that diopter. Worked fine for me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peter Kilmister said:

Leica shops are as rare as rocking horse droppings unless you live near a major city.  It can cost a lot to travel to those locations. Maybe it is time for Leica to offer online services for the majority who live a long distance from a dealer?

E.g. Send a dioptre tester to you through the post on a returnable or refundable deposit.

Rail fare, plus parking and tube, to Leica Mayfair for a day is about GBP 60. Postage is about GBP 5. 

Those dioptre testers can't weigh a lot and weight is the main factor in postage costs.

Those diopter testers were issued to dealers only and were discontinued decades ago. I think in the seventies. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, albertknappmd said:

I went through Josh as well in same fashion.

The ophthalmologist route was useless.

Albert

The key is having a set of trial diopters.  Don’t need an ophthalmologist for those; any well stocked optician will do.  Took me  just minutes, and free.

Jeff

Jeff

The ophthalmologist refracted and while this was perfect for eyeglasses, was off for M.

The best is trial and error with a few diopters that you can attach to camera.