g2van

11-23mm TL: why no stock everywhere?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It seems like the 11-23mm is out of stock everywhere.

Anyone know why? Sudden surge of demand or just production issues?

This has been the case for a long time. Leica is not a huge conglomerate with the vast manufacturing resources that implies, nor do they have the huge consumer audience that would justify higher manufacturing volumes. Their lenses are expensive and sell in modest numbers. Products are often sold out quickly when demand spikes high, and require some patience to acquire. 

When I need to buy a new lens or whatever from Leica, I put in my order and relax. Product usually shows up within a few weeks, which is quick enough for my needs.  I never plan on having something for a particular date until I already have the item in my hands ... and this goes for all products, not just Leica's. :) (I can hope, but I don't count on it... LOL!)

When I took my damaged copy in to Leica Mayfair they said they had been waiting on orders for a year......

Mine has been categorised as unrepairable (the mount came adrift - see a separate thread) and I don’t know when a replacement will arrive...😟

Am I correct that Cosina produces the T mount lenses? They, of course, have far, far greater production facilities than does Leica. But I suspect they have some sort of formula for this, and their labor teams probably rotate through Voigtla"nder, Zeiss, Leica, and then some individual lenses for other companies on a pretty regular schedule based on predicted need.

Most lenses are built in batches.

Leica Store SF told me last week that they had sold the last one they had just a couple days before, but were expecting a shipment within a week or two. 

I have no idea who manufactures the T series lenses for Leica. It's irrelevant; the lenses are made to Leica's spec and in the quantities that Leica requests, no matter who's doing the manufacture (including their own). Sometimes issues arise that slow down the production. 

Being out of stock for a year seems absurd. They've been in and out of stock at B&H, my vendor in Chicago, and LSSF several times over the past year. the 11-23 is a very popular lens and sells out quickly. 

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don’t remember seeing them in stock anywhere in the UK for ages....no stores even have demo copies.

If you can get hold of one it’s a great lens for travelling - I use it in combination with an M+50Lux 

Edited by NigelG

I got one from Glazer’s in Seattle in January along with the long zoom.  I’m not sure I’ll get much use out if it so I may put mine up for sale here.  

Amy

20 hours ago, ramarren said:

When I need to buy a new lens or whatever from Leica, I put in my order and relax. Product usually shows up within a few weeks,

48 weeks and counting since I placed my order for one....relaxation has turned to frustration...

best

George

1 hour ago, gfweir said:

48 weeks and counting since I placed my order for one....relaxation has turned to frustration...

best

George

I'd try a different retailer, but perhaps you have done that already. 

i have it, its great lens in terms of image quality, AF etc, a little bit too large.

I would try to buy in Germany, I saw one this week at Frankfurt Airport shops and at Meister Camera (at least "available").

As of this moment, in stock , and available for next day delivery from LeicaStore Manchester here in the UK .