Leica D Lux typ 109 vs iPhone 11 camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello and good evening everyone! 

Forgive me if this has already been posted. 

I have long been interested in purchasing a Leica and I may be able to buy a Leica D Lux 109 for $800 on OfferUp from someone near me. I am negotiating prices, asking if I can buy it for $400, but I wanted some smart people's opinion's first. First, do you think $800 is a fair price, assuming everything works factoring in age? And, two, do you think it would be surpassed in superiority by the yet-to-be-released iPhone 11?

Thank you! 

-R

Welcome  R.

It could already be four years old. Determine its age from its documentation. I would say the asking price is probably too high and your bid too low. Try to see the camera before bidding seriously.

• Like 1

Easy decision to make; just ask yourself which do you take with you most of the time?   No camera means lost photo opportunities, but be honest with yourself.

If you prefer a printed photograph the D109 wins every time. The iPhone is best for emailing friends etc.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Generally, the average price at online auction is around $600. You should try to meet your friend in the middle.

I am a digital Leica M user and thought the 109 would be a good addition so I bought a used one. However, I'm not convinced about it's usefulness. It's a good camera, but it's not great, and it's not a Leica M experience. YMMV. Frankly, I prefer my old M8 to the Digilux 109.

I don't think OP is here yet. If you comparing phone and camera with real controls, you are not here, yet.

For price go on ebay and check only "Sold" listings. 

If you need it cheap, get original Panasonic model. Leica typ 109 is just a rebrand.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2019 at 7:56 AM, Ko.Fe. said:

I don't think OP is here yet. If you comparing phone and camera with real controls, you are not here, yet.

For price go on ebay and check only "Sold" listings. 

If you need it cheap, get original Panasonic model. Leica typ 109 is just a rebrand.

Hi KoFe. What is the original Lumix model?

And do you think the DLux 7 could also be a rebrand? And if so, which Lumix model do you think?

Edited by HpS